The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

It actually has been "found". The zombies are all in the barn.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Argh! Still no Sophia. :(

There's definitely something weird going on at the farm. They don't want our people armed or near the barn and there was a funny reaction when they discussed what to do if Sophia was bitten. They're also very religious. Are they trying to faith heal zombies, and is Sophia one of them (or suspected to be one of them)?

Anyway, another great episode. Glenn scores, Daryl has another sweet moment and we have a well zombie. I really hope that it's Sophia hanging out in that other house.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Those didn't really "find" the farm, being related to the occupants.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a pretty good episodes. I thought we got plenty of developments for most of the characters, even if it didn't move the plot ahead a ton. I'm kinda starting to wish they would just find Sophia already, IMO that whole plotline is starting to feel dragged out.
    I was just looking at some of the character bios for the comics and I have a question.
    Are Hershel and Maggie long term additions? Because it sounds like they stick around for a while based on what the descriptions say. I was under the impression that they were only going to be on the show for a handful of episodes.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

This episode felt a little better, but still, this thing is going sooooo slooooow this season. I mean, we're 4 episodes in already, the whole first season was only 6, and it felt like a ton more happened there, plus all the initial setup.

In 4 episodes this season, what's really happened? They got stuck in traffic, lost Sophia, wandered around looking for her, Carl got shot, then they went to the farm. feels like maybe 1 full episode, maybe 2 tops to go through all that. Not sure if it's the reduced budget, that they know they have a full season worth of episodes this year, or what, but they've killed the momentum for me.

I missed the first season, so watched it all back-to-back on Netflix right before S2 started, and the storyline just feels like someone pulled the e-brake here. I'm sure things are being set up for later, but there's a LOT of that, without much going on at the moment, it's kinda a drag. This last episode felt a LITTLE better, but they really need to get back to doing something (other than wandering around looking for Sophia, of course).

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hershel was around for 38 issues - issue #10 through issue #48 - before dying. Maggie is still alive as of issue #90.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Dissapointed that they decided to go down the pregnant route because its so predictable and needless family drama fluff.

8. sojourner

^follows the comic.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

And it's especially relevant to the character given her previously stated feelings on bringing up a kid in Zombie Apocalypse world.

I don't feel like this season is dragging compared to the last at all; each episode has been riveting.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I've actually really liked this season and haven't understood what people are expecting to see if they think it's going too slow, but even this episode kind of brought me down to that level of thinking. It did seem to meander a bit, plot foreshadowing aside.

And the pharmacy scene seemed like really bad fanfic.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, when I said I wanted "something for Glenn to do", that's not quite what I had in mind. But, hey, Congrats dude, glad you took her up on it, who knows when your next offer may come along, and you sure can't count on you both being as clean and fresh as you were in this encounter.

I enjoyed this episode, sure it was more set up then anything else, but, you can't have payoff, without the set up. And yea, they really need to find the child and put that thread to rest, or let it simmer in the background, until they revisit it to resolve it one way or another. Can't keep having the search take front stage week after week.

Good stuff with Shane's hallucinating/remembering/reflecting.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just feels like we've been "setting up" for 4 weeks in a row, though, without a lot going on.

Again, look at what we've got so far: Sophia wandered off, they went looking for her. Carl got shot, they took him to the farm. Shane went to go get supplies to patch Carl up (Shane being really the only big development this season), then he got patched up. Looked for Sophia some more, still nada.

Been a few more small things, but hasn't that really been it so far this season? Sure they have some big reveals for later, but right now, not much. Counting the time you need in the premiere to try and get back up to speed and hook new people, that really doesn't feel like more than 2 episodes, max, worth of storytelling. That's why it feels like it's dragging to me.

Heck, outside of Shane and the school bit, haven't had much for zombies even since the herd in the opener. One wandering in the woods, one hanging from a tree, one in the well, did I miss any?

I don't want a Resident Evil shoot-em-up show, and recognize that the characters need breaks between flights of terror, but just feels like it's gone on long enough, time to get moving again (plot-wise, if not physically). Find out more about what's going on, hear about someplace to go, go on another supply raid that doesn't work out very well, something. Wouldn't even mind a little backstory about how the hell the world got like this. We've got characters that lived through that period, wouldn't mind a little storytime there. Seems like the sort of thing Rick should probably be curious about at some point, no?

13. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it would have the same effect since it would destroy the peace. So I would count it.

I think the biggest pacing problem is Sophia's absence. Everything else is a fine build up, but I am starting to get a bit annoyed with her missing at it just drags.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

So am I the only one who was singing, "the zombie in the well, the zombie in the well, high-ho the derry-o, the zombie in the well"? :rommie:

Amazing how good this episode was, when it was about, well what was it about? Just moving several plotlines forward, but everything is interesting and the well scene also shows they can be grossly, scarily comic when they want to be.

So they going for the soapy "who's the daddy" plotline huh? Eh, was hoping for anything but.

Yeah, it's irrational that they wouldn't want to welcome a group of sensible, competent (well, except for the well :D) well-armed folks who can help find supplies and fend off walkers. In fact, Rick should have made that point. But that might have been too much of a tipoff for the audience.

Hopefully they'll play up that angle and not the who's the daddy angle.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm the only one making "Lassie" jokes. I think henceforth I'll refer to Well Zombie as Timmy.

The Timmy subplot may have been grossly comic, but it was also kind of pointless. Nothing was accomplished. The whole thing screams "filler!". And I agree with numerous posters that something needs to happen with Sophia.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Honestly, i don't really want her BACK, as she wasn't adding anything as a character beforehand, I just want them to stop spending so much screen time looking for her, or talking about looking for her.

17. Temis the Vorta

Eh, Timmy the Zombie was fun filler. :D Everything doesn't have to be purposeful in this show, just entertaining.

Also, it shows that the gang is coming together as a team! To fuck things up royally!

18. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I would like the Sophia story line wrapped up next episode too, by last night I was sick of hearing about it, but , with so much time invested in that story line, they can't just drop it or stop mentioning it. Its gotta be sorted out one way or the other.
    The well really bugged me too, suggesting that if the body came out kicking they would actaully be stupid enough to drink the water was mind boggling. I mean, if they genuinely think the water is drinkable so long as they don't shoot the thing in the well, why bother removing it at all ?

I couldn't figure out why Shanes clothes looked so weird until someone mentioned he's in Otis's clothes now, good catch :)

Overall I'm really enjoying this season , I do feel like they have dragged out the Sophia thing a bit to much, I dont think I felt that way about anything last season,
    hopefully next week brings some closer,

Kytee

19. Temis the Vorta

Their entire approach to the Timmy issue was hilariously irrational. In what universe is it preferable to use a human as live bait vs just writing off that well and using one of the other five (didn't Maggie say there were that many?) They're in Georgia, not Arizona. Water can't be that damn precious!

I'd be more leery of shooting Timmy because of the possibility that the gunshot will attract more walkers. They seem to be living in some kind of largely walker-free bubble there on the farm (suspiciously so...) They should do everything possible not to upset that, for instance, waiting for Darryl to get back to the farm and use the crossbow.

Anyway, they better treat Glenn like a prince from now on. What a trooper!

20. sojourner

I would guess that the farm can only support so many people plus the religious leanings of the group there.