Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

17.4%
  2. Above Average

28.3%
  3. Average

26.1%
  4. Below Average

9.8%
  5. Poor

18.5%
  1. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

Carly is actually in the old cartoon as Spike Witwicky's love interest/wife, but is almost completely different.

One thing that did bother me is that Sentinel Prime seems to have the same robot mode when he transforms into an Earth firetruck than he does when he's revived. In the first Bay film we saw that Autobots had a different robot form before they 'merged' with the cars and stuff (The protoforms). This was also true of autobots who scanned different cars, like Bumblebee from the crap Camero to the 2007 model (His robot mode is noticeably more shiny afterwards) and Skids/Mudflap from the Ice Cream Truck to the Chevrolets.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm aware of that as well as a life long Transfan. That is a point I've made since the very beginning. Carly is also the mother of Daniel who is Hot Rod's friend in the movie but I digress.

I forgot to mention earlier that I did get goosebumps in the scene where Buzz Aldrin meets Optimus Prime. I thought that was really well done.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I saw that, I could only think about what an honour it must have been.

You know, the honour for Buzz Aldrin to meet the legendary Optimus Prime. :D

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's what I was thinking too :)

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I saw it yesterday and actually enjoyed it a great deal, which I didn't expect after TF2 literally put me to sleep. I'm not saying it's a "good movie" though, as there's plenty wrong with it, such as:

- lots of embarrassing juvenile humor/jokes
    - most characters are caricatures, in some cases offensive racial caricatures
    - plenty of plot holes
    - ~30 min. too long

But frankly, none of this really bothered me. This is very much a movie I enjoyed despite its bad script, which I usually find rather hard.

What made the movie enjoyable for me were almost solely the action sequences, which feature some of the most spectacular visuals I have ever seen and are actually excellently paced, staged and choreographed. The 3D (which worked really well) seems to have forced Bay to abandon his usual shaky-cam-and-rapid-editing style, which makes a huge difference. Especially the last 40 minutes of the movie are packed with some hugely impressive action setpieces and effects that are well worth sitting through the sillier parts of the movie. While I normally find it hard to care about spectacle for spectacle's sake, this movie made it easy. It does help that the story here is at least kind of okay, though - certainly better than TF2.

Now if only someone could make this kind of visual spectacle with an actual good story!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The good thing is that when this is released on video, we can skip to the great stuff namely the action. The only things that happen in TF2 for me are the forest battle and Optimus ripping off the Fallen's face.:rommie:

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that's nothing fresh. Prime's robot mode on Cybertron in G1 comics looked EXACTLY like his Earthen G1 robot mode even though he transformed into a completely different thing. they later retconned him turning into a vaguely more 'futuristic' truck on Cybertron, that greatly resembled his Earth mode.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Below avg...wow that was bad. After the charm, humor and technical wonder of Transformers I these movies have devolved into a montage of set-piece battles and screaming, with non-sensical plot points and enough stupidity for a dozen summer movies. Honestly Michael Bay probably thinks he could take video of himself on the toilet and the world would go buy a ticket. I specifically tried to put my brain in ultra-low gear for this and it still wasn't low enough.

RAMA

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

How did your brain do during the charm, humor and technical wonder of Autobots peeing on humans in TF1? Really, that you expected something other than that for TF3 is on you far more than it is on Bay.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Tran1 managed a balance that the other films didn't...pee or no pee. I expect a reasonable level of adventure and action and a slightly lesser level of sense, and the movie didn't fulfill any of these.

RAMA

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Sure ... the balance was as follows: Sixty minutes of solid filmmaking followed by sixty-plus minutes of juvenile, nonsensical, overblown filmmaking (including robots peeing on people). If you thought Bay would tone things down for his sequels ... you really haven't been paying attention.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You're right, I'm NOT a follower of Bay, and I'm not a huge fan of Transformers the cartoon either, but the first movie surprised me. Where the 2nd two movies differed is replacing genuinely funny or charming moments with screaming.

RAMA

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't think of anything genuinely "funny" or "charming" about the first film. Sam's mom asking about his masturbation habits, Bee "lubricating" Simmons and Sam spazzing out while the Autobots hang out in his back yard and spout tired pop culture chatchphrases does not charm make.

The first movie did have much cooler transformation sequences than either of the sequels, though, but that's about all the credit I'd give it.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The scene with arrival of the Autobots on Earth and Optimus Prime's first transformation scene in TF1 was incredible. It got claps the first time I watched it in theaters.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That scene did make me feel eight years old again and was easily the best moment of the film, though even this moment was a little marred by the random kid referentially calling it 'cooler than Armageddon'.

16. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

Now that I've seen the entire trilogy, I can truly say this is my absolute favorite scene in the entire series of films. The music, the effects, the camera angles - all of it was exactly what I expected and hoped for in a Transformers film. As a long time fan, I actually felt tears welling up the first time I saw this in the theater. It was like the kid in me was just so awed that he beamed out of me. It was a powerful moment.

Then not too long after, Bumblebee peed on Simmons... :alienblush:

17. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Autobot arriving scene is indeed probably the best non action moment in all three films, genuine goosebumps and Peter Cullen's first line instantly shows that hiring him was more than just a sop to the fans.

Bumblebee lubricating Simmons never bothered me though, Movie Bee is basically insane so it seemed perfectly in character for him.

18. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have to agree that the Autobots' arrival at Earth in the first film is the iconic moment from the entire trilogy. Everything about it just works perfectly. Steve Jablonsky's score is incredible here (I really like his music from all three films... I just wish the released soundtracks featured the complete scores).

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it for the third time last night and can anyone help me with how Soundwave is on Earth. That is the one thing I still haven't reconciled.
    Even in it's third weekend there were people in the audience who at the moment Prime shows up in Chicago after bailing out Team Epps with Sam and says "We will kill them all", there was still a reaction from what I assume are first viewers. More muted but it was there.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i assume he's simply travelled to Earth in the interval between movies and assumed an Earthen alt-mode.