Kick-Ass 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics. ect.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, May 24, 2012.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

There's no sure fire level for profitability, all depends on how the film was financed, marketed, deals done with product placement, how long they're in cinemas, etc. But some how the yard stick seems to be 1.5 to 2 x the budget. No doubt Universal will see it as a disappointment but with worldwide take it'll wash its face on box office, at a guess.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, it was a good movie, but I had some serious fundamental problems with the changes they made from the comic. Kick-Ass is supposed to be basically be a loser, but the movie is ripped and muscular and heroic and gets to nail the hottest girl in school AND a super hero AND Hit Girl kisses him at the end? Isn't that kind of defeating the entire point of this story as an anti-comic book story?

And his other best friend is directly responsible for his father being murdered, but nobody ever mentions this at the ending?

Mother Russia was awesome though. Her fight with Hit-Girl was great.

It's too bad they didn't just make a more faithful adaptation. The story as-is was hilarious and good.

So, are we to assume that Night Bitch was NOT gang-raped by a group of super villains then? They show her in the hospital but don't really say...

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Overall I didn't mind the changes they made to the book, but I absolutely hated this. It just ruined the character of Todd and made him look like a moron. I also didn't care for the new actor either, but had Todd been written a bit better it wouldn't have been too much of an issue.

I think that's exactly what we're mean to assume.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No sequel? Kick Ass 2 has a disastrous 68% second weekend drop!

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Eh, I kinda wish it was less faithful. Oh well.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw it last night. Went in with low expectations, in light of the reviews. However, I did enjoy the movie. It wasn't as good as the first one but wasn't the mess I'd feared. The script was wittier than I'd been led to believe and the action scenes were excellent.

I was surprised by the escalation of the violence but from reading this thread, I see that this came from the comic (the first one was pretty violent too, come to think of it).

I'd give it 7/10.

7. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

I think the problem with Kick Ass 2 compared to the first movie is that we spend too much time watching the characters fail and fail again and be powerless and restricted. "I promised I wouldn't be a superhero anymore!" is silly in a movie about superheroes. I still enjoyed the movie but it is a little hard to love a movie in which the heroes repeatedly fall on their faces and the bad guy does way cooler stuff.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this last week and throughly enjoyed it myself. Sure its not as good as the first but you can say that for a heck of a lot of sequels. And sure its not as violent as the comic but I suppose I was hardly surprised they didn't show the Motherfucker gunning down a bunch of little kids.
    Like the first one Hit-Girl stole the show, I just wish it'd been made a year or two earlier as it does work better when she's actually a little girl rather than a teenager. But hey, she still had one of the greatest lines in any film ever IMO
    "I would've thought a cunt like you could handle all those pricks."
    I think I must have laughed till the end of the movie at that bit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That's pretty accurate of the comic too though, it's like the Empire Strikes Back of the Kick-Ass universe. There are no real victories for the good guys, even when they triumph at the end it's still at a huge cost (and they changed the ending of the comic too, so it would have been more of a downer an ending).

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was expecting the movie to be terrible after reading the reviews, but I really enjoyed it aside from the high school drama stuff with Hit Girl. The score is somehow even better than the first film.