Whovian Whumor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Neroon, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Think you mean... Heavy!

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I have a question about the Ballad of Russel & Julie, when did they bring Jack back to fight against the Cybermen?

Ok so there was the Torchwood episode "Cyberwoman" but apart from that, Jack has only come back to fight the Master/ Toclafane & the Daleks.

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Jack was part of Torchwood ... Torchwood, Canary Warf, Daleks fighting Cybermen ... It works if you don't think too hard about it.

4. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're welcome. :) Try this interview with RTD and Benjamin Cook on The Writer's Tale;

They didn't, it just scans well. :p

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

^ I had a feeling "ming mong" was an in-joke!

One thing that I found really cool about that video was how they snuck in photos of Verity Lambert and Terry Nation (guess they couldn't find one of Sydney). Nice touch, there.

I'm surprised more isn't being made of the naughty word David utters re: John's anatomy! I'll have to confess I also heard something completely different when he sings about "E4's Skins". Think about it. :eek:

Alex

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but Jack was not part of Torchwood 1, so even thinking about it for a moment it doesnt work, yet alone thinking hard about it.

7. OmahaStar

"They had Cybermen in Spain" - Ten, to Donna in Runaway Bride. They were all over the world, not just in that one centralized place. We just call it the CW battle for convenience, cuz that's where it ended.

Surely, Jack and his TW team were fighting the Cybs somewhere.

8. Iamnotspock

How did that get past them? :guffaw:

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I suppose it is possible that Torchwood Hub, had a Cyber invasion of its own to deal with, but if we are going to over think it, wouldnt Jack have something to say about the whole plan, and the pretence that its ghosts?

I had so far made the choice not to comment about RTDs and Skins

10. OmahaStar

That's why I say it works if you don't think too hard about it. Because when you do start really thinking about Jack and Torchwood, the whole thing falls apart. Secret agency that everybody knows about. Future technology. Time agency, with other time agents roaming about at whim. He is spying on the various Doctors, but they don't know about it. He wants to meet up with a Doctor that matches his timeline, but can't seem to find one in the various World Wars, when JFK was shot, during the Titanic adventure (both from "Rose"), or any of the other various points in time the Doctor visited Earth in the 20th century?

He had to wait 120 or so years before he could talk to him, but share everything with this same organization that's founded specifically to kill the Doctor?

RTD era --> big ideas = good. details = god-awful.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was established in season 2 that when Jack took over Torchwood in Cardiff, he cut of all ties with Torchwood London. So he likely had no say in the ghost plan and its possible (though unlikely) he didn't know Torchwood was involved.

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

While 11 was there for WW2, there was no appropriate version of the Doctor present for WW1.

And both were the Ninth Doctor. That rules out either matching with Jack's timeline, since 9 regenerated right after Jack last saw him.

True. After a quick glance at a list of Tennant episodes, I counted about 11 adventures prior to Utopia where the Doctor landed on Earth between Jack's arrival in 1869 and when Jack finally met up with him.

13. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but Jack should have had no way of knowing that. I imagine that the he probably just didn't learn of the Doctor's presence at those events until after the fact. Jack turns up to investigate, but the Doctor is already long gone. It'd be pretty difficult, even with modern conveniences like transcontinental jet travel to get to a Doctor appearance before he buggers off, even if you find out about it the instant he arrives.

After all, doesn't Jack camp out on the rift in Wales because he knows the Doctor will come back to that exact place eventually?

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

True, though my point was more that they weren't the Doctor Jack was looking for, rather than whether he would know.

Yeah.

Exactly.

ETA: I think we are overthinking this a bit. :lol:

15. Iamnotspock

Oh, dear God. :wtf: Guys, guys, guys; it's supposed to be funny. No, Jack never met the Cybermen but the line fits and (just about) rhymes! This kind of discussion is precisely what the Comic Book Guy has been taking the pee out of for the last twenty years.

QFT. :lol:

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

Making this print from James Hance particularly appropriate:

Attached Files:

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but isnt that the point of the song, they said they would do all of those things, and they did, but they didnt do that one, it seems to undermine the point of the song.

18. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9 should be the one Jack is looking for since he should be unaware of 9's regeneration into 10.

And yes, we absolutely are over thinking it, but I think it's ok if you do it knowingly and just for fun.

19. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

'Tis true. But you have to admit it's made an already funny song funnier, especially when you had in the dig they make at Outpost Gallifrey where exactly this sort of point would probably have resulted in verbal bloodbaths (and for all I know the blood may well be running in the streets of its successor Gallifrey Base as we speak!). Anyone stop to consider this "error" might have been intentional for that very reason? ;)

Alex

20. Iamnotspock

I would love that to be the case. :lol: