Who would be the standard-bearer of a new ST show?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Long Syntax, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am curious to understand how a new show would be sold / marketed and who would lead the new vision. The last time there was a long gap between TV production we still had the creator involved and his influence and direction was enough to see it through for a seven year run and then spawn multiple spinoff shows. I'm hard pressed to think of anybody - I mean the last were Berman and Braga which had a somewhat darker view and I know many who would not want them to continue as the standard-bearers (I'm not necessarily in that camp as I loved ENT but I understand reality).

2. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

I donno but whoever it is, I'm hoping it's someone that magically can be both creative and protective of cannon/logical.

For all the hate of Lucas, his dump of movies call EP 1-3, were very kind in not completely destroying cannon.

It's much better to produce something that is bad, and not destructive than creating something that is mediocre and allows nothing to follow it.

3. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it's going to be bad, why even bother?

4. Long Syntax

I think it goes without saying that there is a requirement for quality. Having said that I recognize there are a great many opinions on what constitutes "good" ST. Actually, that's one of my fears with regards to getting a new ST series to TV - the wish list is so deep and varied that any show produced couldn't possibly meet demands for continuity, casting preferences for the makeup of the crew, tastes in story preferences, etc. -- and therefore it's doomed before it even starts.

So, yes, I'm all for quality, but my guess is that it's somewhat driven from the top - the visionary for the series... and I'm wondering -- who could that possibly be?

5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I would agree that no matter how it was done, it would engender some degree of backlash. Fandom simply does not lock in step anymore. I think these discussions are usually rather shortsighted though, because there's only a few people that are so wellknown that they could bubble up as a potential show-runner. But my preference would be to give it to someone with a good idea who nobody knows of. I'm tired of the limited pool of people in Hollywood getting all the gigs. JJ handling both Trek and Star Wars is symptomatic of how this. Give someone new a chance.

6. Long Syntax

I found many things I liked about the last two ST movies by JJ, but that doesn't mean I would be favor of JJ running a television series (and to be fair I'm sure he wouldn't want the role). However, I think there is a desperate need for such leadership and vision.

Maybe a past cast member that has shown the ability to direct / produce - someone like Jon Frakes, Levar Burton who've done the directing role before? A former cast member that might have the credibility with the networks and the fans?

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point in his career, it wouldn't be him running the show, it would be someone from his production company.

Abrams would set up the premise and hire the people who actually ran the show, and then turn his attentions elsewhere.

:)

8. Long Syntax

Good point T'Girl. I'm not so sure I like the idea of JJ's mini-me running the show though. My heart tells me that it would take someone with deep understanding of where the show has come from and where it wants to go. Having a lackey running JJ's side project doesn't seem to fit that description. But, for all I know there's some insanely creative ST fan in his production company that would fit the bill.

9. Dobian

Dobian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For a new show to be legit, it has to follow the canon of the past shows. If it follows the movies, then it's a totally different animal and can't be considered a part of the existing television franchise. And I wouldn't watch it.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm inclined to think that whoever CBS picks to return Star Trek to television will be someone most of us has never heard of before.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

That would come down to who the "lackey" is. There a famous quote from Abrams that he never was a Star Trek fan, hiring someone with a certain degree of back knowledge of the show's in-universe history would help.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's why Orci stepped down from directing the latest film. He's developing the new TV series.

;)

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Entirely possible. CBS has a profitable relationship with Orci.

He should get together with Ron Moore and reboot TOS again. nuBSG is a good model. :)

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

No it isn't. Depressive, angst ridden characters capable of nothing but depression and angst? No thanks.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Can I nominate Joss Whedon?

Always loved his work. Think he'd bring a sense of fun back to Trek, whilst dealing with the deeper, darker issues as well. You know it'd also be well written with proper development and heart.

16. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I now Duncan Jones has been mentioned in the past related to the films. I think it should be someone who has shown promise but isn't already collecting big paychecks for blockbusters. Someone who is still young and hungry and feels he has something to prove creatively.

17. Long Syntax

Some names I hadn't considered, because I was unaware / uninformed - Orci, Joss Whedon, Duncan Jones. I was aware of Orci being called into meeting late last year to discuss a possible TV show, which got me excited at the time.

I'm unsure of Duncan Jones, just because I don't know much about him - I'll have to look at his background.

Joss Whedon - not opposed - another I'd have to look deeper into. I've only occasionally watched comic book based films and usually it's been X-Men that I was interested in. I haven't kept track of marvel stuff outside of Spiderman (I think that second reboot hurt the franchise).

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I know of Buffy and Angel, but have never watched them. On the other hand, I enjoyed Firefly enough to second this.

19. Dobian

Dobian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah Whedon would be great, his commitment to his creations is obvious as in his involvement with the Buffy/Angel comics after those shows ended.

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I can get behind Whedon. His shows are made with evident love and care. Great writing and character development. And a sense of fun. He would be a great choice