Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

It should be dowloaded shortly. I should start it by Friday, and be less affected by the oblique spoilers.

2. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

*Does the loud scream from Home Alone*
    I haven't read the book yet, but damn, this is cold! I look forward to reading it, though, as Plagues Of Night is probably the best of the Typhon Pact series thus far.

3. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I was heartrending to read. So much of this story is. Halfway and it's brilliant so far.

4. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Logically it makes sense for that to happen. Still Sad.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

rfmcdpei, about those spoilers:

Is that station seen on the cover of Raise the Dawn the replacement for DS9? Or are they building another one just like DS9, i.e. a Nor-class station?

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'm a few chapters in. Wow. I think we have our contenders for the best novels of the year.

7. Enterpriserules

I'll second that!

8. DS9forever

9. Enterpriserules

O'Brien !!!!!

10. DS9forever

I also see that Doug Drexler designed the image on the cover, presumably he also did the same for Plagues of Night.

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Awesome, I am a big fan of Doug's work:bolian: I belive he did all the Vanguard covers too.

12. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's presumably the replacement, described in the text as three hoops connecting at right angles around a central core. Possibly an evocation of a Nor-class station, but it's fundamentally a Federation station, designed by no less than O'Brien and Nog.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Damn. Just when I don't think something can't make this book sound any cooler, I read something like that last bit of the spoiler. I went ahead and downloaded this and Plagues this morning and read the first page of Plagues.

14. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What happens to Quark, now that his bar is gone?

15. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Loving it so far. Some random thoughts...

Okay. I really really really do appreciate how hard most Starfleet Officers try to be decent even during battle, even to a rather severe enemy, but there's part of me that has to wonder, if maybe there shouldn't be some protocols in place that force you to stop at offering aid and then if that offer is spurned you just let if go.

Julian telling some Bajoran fable, was honestly not as charming as it was meant to be. And on top of that, I have pretty much had enough of Dr. Mopey. I am really really really hoping that by the time this book is over he will have found himself again because at this point he's turned back into my least favorite DS9 character a position he occupied when the show first started.

It's driving me nuts right now knowing the Bacco is completely wrong about the intentions of the Romulan Praetor. I'm sure it all gets sorted but it's like watching a horror movie and wanting to scream at the screen.

When Ben discovers that Kassady is alive and so is Rebecca I cried.

And finally...

I am Loooooving this new, more self assured, less whiny/wheedly Quark. Now don't get me wrong I've also loved the character (due in no small part to the quality of Armin Shimerman's acting) but he did often get on my nerves. I am really looking forward to getting to know this new Quark and find out what has led to his present way of being.

16. Enterpriserules

I agree wit all of these. David really has a grasp on the DS9 characters!

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the book yet, but
    Memory Beta has an article for the new DS9 station that lists, under 'Crew Manifest', Bartender: Quark, so it sounds as if there's a bar built for him on the new station.

18. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm half way through (kindle has me @ the 50% mark) & am loving it. Thing I noticed myself doing, thanks to another thread here, was looking for more Bacco quotes.

19. Enterpriserules

She is one of my all time favorite STEU characters!:techman:

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Before I actually read the thread and see people's comments, let me just give my one word review: YAY!!!!!

More thoughts later after reading, either as an edit or new post.

ETA: Ok, some more thoughts.

In general: mother of god, I officially want DRG to become to DS9 what Kirsten Beyer is to Voyager. This man gets it. There were things I was sad about, times I wanted to throw the book across the room because of what certain characters were doing (somebody upthread mentioned "screaming at the screen"), but this book is fantastic.

THEY ACTUALLY BLEW UP DS9?!?! :eek: You know what's funny though, while it was epic and sad I would've been much more upset if we'd lost more major characters - I was actually more upset at the prospect that Vic went down with the station when it was mentioned in the BSC bar than the station itself blowing up. And the new DS9 sounds like a really interesting design, hope to see what it looks like when completed soon.

All the pain and misery that we suffered through with Ben and Kasidy for three novels now, and I've been very critical of DRG for, is completely, unquestionably redeemed by this book's ending. It's funny because halfway through I was still annoyed by that whole story thread and ready to start wondering whether the Prophets were just manipulative bastards for the vision they gave Kasidy, but oh the closing scene in Robinson's Ready Room/Benny's apartment... just... wow. Wow to the wow. I suppose I could still quibble about some things, but... why?

Meanwhile of course, him being back on the Defiant was a lot of fun. Missed Robinson (already?! that's some good work on making me care).

It was good to see Odo again, and how things stood with him and his merry band. Though with the wormhole closed for an indeterminate amount of time, I wonder when he'll get back to the Dominion and what we'll find thee?

Am I the only one that was really bummed to see Orventa T'Jul killed so early? She got a lot of buildup in Plagues of Night and seemed well on her way to becoming another "good" Romulan character but then doesn't survive the Battle of DS9. Gell Kamemor continues to be awesome, and it was interesting seeing her being the voice of reason and peace compared to an - understandably - irate Nan Bacco. Speaking of Bacco, had we seen Slask before? I liked him - the Star Trek Universe needs more Classy Gorn Space Pirates. We're definitely seeing the changes in Romulan society with the imprisonment of Tomalak, the death of Sela (I agree with whoever upthread had a nice analysis of her character - tragic, ultimately), and the talked-about changes in the Senate that would lead them to reach out to Spock and the Federation regarding the Hobus problem, and it'll be all the more tragic that the loss of Romulus will come (if things continue the way they are) when the Star Empire and the Federation are... cordial, at least.

I'm not quite sure what to make of what happened in the wormhole. Considering Elias came to Kira more or less at the moment his body finally died I guess he was helping her cross over to be with the Prophets? I was a bit worried Vaughn was going to be brought back - and it would've worked fine I'm sure but everything regarding his death and Prynn's moving on had been so well-done that I'm glad things went the way they did. Hopefully Vedek Kira will be back, perhaps with the reopening of the wormhole?
    It's really good to see O'Brien again. I don't think he's appeared in anything since Worlds of DS9: Cardassia? Was somewhat surprised that Dax didn't even make an appearance (ultimately I think I might have preferred her and co. to Picard and co., but no biggie), but ah well; like Sisko and Robinson might end up being she and Aventine are pretty much "general universe show up when needed" characters. The DS9 "cast" as it stands now is a pretty fun mix of tv show (O'Brien, Bashir, Nog, Quark), "first wave" novels (Ro, Prynn, Treir, Cenn) and "second wave" novels (Blackmer, Stinson, Slane, Candlewood, and I'm counting Sarina here). Plus of course whatever role the Siskos play but it sounds like they're leaving Bajor more or less. Now if only we knew what was up with plain, simple Garak...

There's still a lot of questions of course, but things are very well setup for lots more good DS9.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012