The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh-oh.

2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

If Matt and Trey can make it work, so can Nolan. :p

3. I mostly understood Bane's lines up to the point he said "crashing this plane". After that, I couldn't make heads or tails of his dialogue. It was just a garbled mess.

I've said this before but I find bits of dialogue in BB and TDK hard to understand at times too. There seems to be a common element of sound mixing issues in these movies. I really hope the studio pushes to have this addressed.

The fact that virtually every article or impression, feels the need to mention whether they did or did not understand Bane's voice, has shown they've already lost the narrative. Seriously, just make it clear, and say "hey we've fixed it for the main movie, don't worry!" - problem solved.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I couldn't understand the two guys talking as Gordon goes to the podium.

5. Captrek

It's actually quite clever. The hype is so enormous that it's pretty much guaranteed that everybody on the planet is going to see it. The only question is, how many times will we see it? If it takes multiple viewings to understand the dialog, that's the only way left to drive ticket sales.

The downside is that pirated dls will cost WB more wealth than exists in the world.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I'm actually leaning closer to not seeing it.

7. Captrek

What makes you think you'll have a choice? If they can make you buy health insurance, they can make you see The Dark Knight Rises!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nobody makes you buy health insurance. There are plenty of people that get by (for better or worse) without it.

9. Captrek

Every now and then you might want to look at something other than the Entertainment section of the American news media.

There's this thing called the individual mandate that's got a few tongues wagging.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I didnt like Batman fighting in daylight in a crowd in the behind the scenes pics and like it even less in the trailer. Other than that I will reserve judgment and hope its better than the last one.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've wondered about that. And...

Suppose for a moment that Nolan is, in fact, riffing heavily on Knightfall, like Bleeding Cool has reported, complete with Bane shattering Batman's back and crippling him.

I gave this some thought. If this is true, it would have to come at the end of the first act, forty minutes to an hour into the film, because the film would need to deal with that. How does Bruce cope? What happens to the Batman? What does Bane do with the Batman out of the way? Your next hour, Act Two then, would be the ramifications of the act, such as Bane tearing Gotham down, and this would end an hour later at the start of the third act as Batman returns and kicks Bane's ass.

Now, if Nolan is riffing on Knightfall, then Batman's return in the third act needs to be public, because the whole of Gotham City saw Batman get his back broken by Bane in Knightfall, and it was Jean-Paul's public trouncing of Bane that convinced the world that Batman was still there, looking out after Gotham.

Thus I wonder if the Batman that we see in the trailer, fighting Bane in daylight, is Bruce Wayne under the cowl.

Of course, if any of that speculation is true, then The Dark Knight Rises is going to have a lot of ground to cover in its 2-1/2 to 3 hour running time. :)

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Guy- The mayor's going to dump him(Gordon) in the spring

Matthew Modine's character- Really? but he's a hero

Guy- A war hero. This is peace time

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

If Nolan intended to have Bane's dialogue sound garbled then I trust him on it because he's yet to fuck up in my book.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's in the trailer, which is out there in basically DVD quality.

People are specifically referring to not understanding Bane in the prologue.

It helps to have read the transcript, but even after having done so I still had trouble understanding "they expect one of us in the wreckage, brother".

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the notion of Batman fighting in the day time since it seems that one of Bane's goals is to make Batman uncomfortable and draw him out to confront him. Knightfall has been mentioned as a source for the script along with No Man's Land. What's interesting is in both those stories Bruce was absent from Gotham for a time.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

thanks. that first line was impossible for me to make out.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't have any trouble understanding it.
    EDIT: I just watched the trailer again, and I had no trouble understanding any of the dialogue at all. I don't know if it was just because I knew what was being said, or if I changed something without realizing, but everything was crystal clear to me this time.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said as much.
    Feedback coming is that like the early GL footage they frakked it up by having an iffy first big push trailer.

Like another said, how many times will people see it? If it's still hard to understand maybe only the once. I'm not paying another $11 to see a movie, in English, where subtitles are needed multiple times. So Joe Q Public who saw TDK 3-4 times might just say, to hell with it, once is enough.

Warners admitting they are in damage control should be enough for the "I trust Nolan-ites" to perhaps say,"What does god need with an audio remix?";)

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'm no fan of GL anyway but what was iffy about the first trailer? It represented the film while plugging the humor aspect. It was no more or less iffy than any other trailer. It was, in essence, selling the movie as is.