Another "Fringe" incident in Boston.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by gturner, May 15, 2013.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

CBS Boston story

Suspicious, or just seven foreign chemical engineers from five different US cities coming together at Boston's main drinking water reservoir after midnight for, um, something innocent? :vulcan:

Where is Walter Bishop when we need him to figure this out?

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

he's fictional and thus would be no help.

3. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Somebody's a fan of Batman.

Smilex, anyone?

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Career interests" for trespassing on property surrounding an enormous public water facility. Yeah, RIGHT. If it was legit, they would have contacted the facility administration and asked for a tour. But no, sneak around there at night? Smells really bad. I'd say, strip them of their visas and kick them out of the country. This kind of thing can't be tolerated.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Good to know that 9/11 and Boston still has most of this country afraid of its own shadow. :techman:

6. gturner

gturner Admiral

^ well, one thing that struck me is that while civil engineers might have a professional interest in a glorified lake, chemical engineers wouldn't give a flying f***. Even if a water company employed them all (to find a cheaper way to add chlorine or remove arsenic?), they'd never actually wander out to look at a clay-fill embankment unless their cat died and they wanted to find some peace of mind by gazing across a pond. If you wanted to figure out where to back a truck up to dump something in, though, a site inspection would make sense.

"We were out barhopping and got lost" would make sense, as would "We don't have frog gigging in our countries, for obvious reasons, and thought we'd see what it was about." The story they gave doesn't make sense to me.

However, the FBI is on the case, so I'm sure after everyone in Boston is puking their guts up there will be a full investigation on why there was no investigation.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Quabbin is 80 miles west of Boston.

College students do stupid things... shocking. I live 10 miles from there. It was closed for years after 9-11, you still can't go on the dams. But you would need several 18 wheelers before you could poison the 4.5 billion gallons of water it holds.

There are 3 more reservoirs that connect to Quabbin on the way to Boston that would be closer to the source if you want to poison Boston.

Being that you live in Kentucky and not within a thousand miles of the area, you really should use Google before starting crazy ass conspiracy theories.

Amherst, Sunderland, Northampton are towns, there are more people in my local jail than Sunderland (Pop. 3,684). They are college students, Northampton, Amherst and Hadley have five colleges that tens of thousands of students go to, it's called "The Five Colleges", so people would live in those towns that go to one of the five colleges. Amherst has the flag ship college for the state, 29 thousand students go there, 22,000 live in the town! it's not like students from LA, Seattle, Chicago, DC and Boston all showed up in the middle of the night. THEY ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS.

That said kick them out of the country for being stupid.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  8. gturner

gturner Admiral

Hrm... I did some math using abrin as a likely agent, and 1 kg would probably do it. It was so disturbing that I deleted the rest of the post, including reasons why a reservoir is a dumb place to dump it. O_o

9. bigdaddy

Yes you could use bioterrorism and Quabbin would be the dumbest place ever to do it, being it has to move 80 miles to get to Boston. These are college students, from what you call cities that they live in. They tested, everything is good. This whole thread is stupid being that the government poisens our water with shit more than 7 college students would.

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

I take it you read about the estimated ten thousand or so Americans the government intentionally but randomly killed by poisoning during Prohibition to prove that alcohol was extremely dangerous. :lol:

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

College students contacting a facility administration of a water reservoir for a tour? :lol:

I would have just found a place to park and walked in the woods

12. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Really, they should be kicked out of the country for trespassing? How about we let the authorities do their jobs and figure out if they were up to something worse?

13. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

:lol:

14. bigdaddy

I've been to Quabbin about 500 times in my life, they were are the middle gate. That gate is closest to the overflow keyhole. The first gate has a police station and the third main one has nothing really.

All three main gates are within five miles. There are about 70 other gates around the massive manmade pond. Why go to a main gate to poison Boston?

Also the college students in the area are assholes, and this group clearly is lying "it's a school trip at midnight! And no teacher!". Make an example and kick them out.

But there is Smith, Mt Holyoke, Amherst, Hampshire and Umass Amherst. Some of those are known international, more so Smith. So it's not unheard off to have 7 college students being stupid. They are stupid, those colleges make them stupid drones.

And the middle gate they were at is about two miles from the runoff river which is open 24/7 for fishing. You could pretend to fish and just walk a little more and be at the damn.

If anyone is ever in the area go visit. Beautiful area.

15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Oh I agree with your assessment that this conspiracy theory is stupid. I just found it hilarious that you offered your own conspiracy theory in response.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Been hanging out with General Jack Ripper lately?

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I can see the logic in questioning why they didn't contact someone at the facility if, as they claim, they were there out of some form of professional interest.

I don't get the logic behind kicking suspect/capture terrorist out of the USA. Why let them return to their home country with whatever info they may have gathered or return as heroes. Give a first person example of the American legal system and lock them up where we can keep an eye on them.

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't bothering to educate myself with the layout of the Quabbin reservoir and try to find out exactly where these students were trespassing. If they were still quite far from gaining direct access to the water supply, then yes--their milling about could have been pretty innocent. Just bored college kids looking for a new place to get away from the campus. And for that, just fine them. But, if they were shown to have breached security in an unpredictable way and gained direct access to the water, I'd levy a graver punishment on them. Being from the Middle Eastern region of the world, no doubt they've encountered some discrimination here in the USA. They know about all the paranoia and fear about terrorism. Pretty darned stupid of them not to consider that.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

^ Could be worse. What if they were partying, saw the police coming, and then were caught on the police dash cam as they chucked their weed or whiskey bottles in the water? I could see hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime, scuba divers being summoned, and a bunch of water quality people being rousted out of bed and spending the next 48-hours running non-stop tests, with the Mayor of Boston having to reassure people that the situation is being monitored.

Some people match too many profiles to get away with things that would just get regular teenagers a brief scolding and a suggestion to go party somewhere else.

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

They come from scary foreign places, so we know they were up to no good.

Yeah, that much was quite painfully obvious.

Yeah, and you gave a pretty good example of that. Well done, patriot.