Chuck 2x03 - Chuck vs. The Break-Up

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the Dagman, Oct 13, 2008.

?

Rate tonight's episode of Chuck

1. Awesome!

31.3%
  2. Above Average

37.5%
  3. Average

31.3%
  4. Um, yeah... whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who believes this crap?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Chuck 2x03 - Chuck vs. The Break-Up - Discuss/Grade - <SPOILERS>

I thought I would post the thread before the episode airs later tonight. I am a west coast viewer. So I can't participate in the comments while the show airs. But I find such things too distracting and I type too slow to keep up anyway. But don't let me stop any of you who want to have fun.

I will be checking in after NBC's prime-time line up is finished tonight, or later depending on how funny Jon Stewart is.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. the Dagman

Re: Chuck 2x03 - Chuck vs. The Break-Up - Discuss/Grade - <SPOILERS>

Post-show review: I was kind of let down in this episode. The Buy More gang was more like a separate show rather than a supporting cast. And the humor there was rather lacking. The Chuck/Sarah/Bryce triangle is just too much drama for a show like this. And Casey barely had any significant on-screen presence. A couple of things gave me a chuckle (hey, a pun!), and that was the only thing that kept my rating of it at average. But this was real close to a whatever rating.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I love the Buy More gang, so I don't mind their storyline being almost entirely separated from Chuck's tonight. I definitely agree that Casey was sorely underused.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Gah! My friend's TiVo decided to take the night off, so it didn't record either Chuck or Heroes! I'm so pissed!

5. the Dagman

You are still in luck. The episodes are up on NBC's website for free viewing.

www.nbc.com/chuck
    www.nbc.com/heroes

6. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the episode, but I would have loved it more if Casey could have been in it more. I lol when he got the money back from the hired thugs, captured the rich dude, and also saved Chuck from the Fulcrum agent. Casey's the man!

Bryce annoys as usual. When I saw the shades, all I could say was don't trust him, Chuck. Don't trust him. And...I was right. Upgrade to the Intersect.

I loved when Sarah took the agent out at the hospital. She's not damsel in distress, even if she can't seemingly make up her mind about Chuck.

The Buy More gang are hilarious. Love them. The fight between Strahan and Anna was aces. I'm with Casey. Let's get her out in the field. I guess I enjoyed this more than I thought.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted awesome but that was a slip of my stupid mouse...I meant to vote average. I have been a fan of Chuck since about the second or third episode last season and have developed a big crush on Yvonne Strahovski as well for obvious reasons! Her red dress was just incredible! I'm getting tired of the Sarah/Bryce/Chuck triangle as well but have a feeling that it will get resolved somehow by the end of the season since it seems like Sarah's growing feelings for Chuck are compromising her status as a CIA agent. The Buy More guys sideplots are amusing...and I totally got their frustration with the jocks playing Madden 2009 and using their store as a private playroom! I'm wondering if Ellie and Devin are finally going to find out that Sarah is a CIA agent and is Chuck's handler...?

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a big kick out of seeing Nigel from Crossing Jordan as a villain. :lol: That was just funny. And it's driving me crazy trying to figure out where I've seen the villain chick before. OOOOOHHH!!! It was the Peacekeeper infiltrator chick from the "Look at the Princess" trilogy in Farscape!!!! What fun! Good, I feel a little less crazy now.

I'm interested to see how they resolve the Chuck/Sarah problem. I have the feeling they're just going to have to break down and train Chuck as a field operative, which means he's going to have to get over his pathetic wussiness in dangerous situations, and which means that he and Sarah can eventually work as a team.

I thought Ellie & Awesome's care for Chuck in his relationship with Sarah was just so sweet. And of course, the Buy More Smackdown was a riot. Overall, very fun episode. The only think lacking was the complete absence of killing Bryce Larkin dead. ;)

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Regarding the jocks: why the fuck didn't the Asst. Manager (forgot his name) just call the police? That problem should have been resolved in under 5 mins. Though, it wouldn't have been as funny.

10. the Dagman

Totally correct. Strahan's actions have names. Assault, battery, extortion, vandalism and trespassing.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah same here. The Sarah/Bryce story felt like a complete replay of the one from the first season. And Casey hasn't gotten nearly as many witty lines this season for some reason (he's been reduced to simply calling Chuck an "idiot" now).

I'm not sure if they got new writers on this show or if they're a little rusty from the strike, but it also feels like the episodes don't have the same smooth flow they used to...

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I really just think they're trying to recap a lot of last season's stuff for new viewers, which is probably difficult to do if they're also trying to keep the old viewers interested. I imagine things will get better once the first few episodes of the season are out of the way.

13. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

THAT'S WHO THE PROGRAMMER WAS. Gah. :lol:

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Above Average. For a silly breezy fantasy, this show does seem to have an authentic emotional core, which is nice. It's fun to see Chuck trying to do the spy thing for real, and let's face it, $4.5M is peanuts compared with what the government has been blowing for real...:rommie:

Neilsens be damned, NBC is paying the bills by product placement. Let's see, this week we had Apple, Madden Football, Playstation and PSP. No wonder NBC's renewed it for a full season already.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I was looking forward to seeing her as soon as I saw her name in the credits. Too bad she didn't have a bigger role though.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Chuck is one of my favourite shows on TV right now. I like it because they don't take themselves too seriously with all the spy stuff. I also like how they include musical elements form other spy movies like the Bourne Identity and James Bond. I clearly heard snippets from of both in this episode.

I agree with the poster who said they'll need to train Chuck as a field agent. Either that or have Chuck get so tired of being the "damsel in distress" all the time that he goes to Casey for some training. Getting some unofficial training from Casey would actually make for some pretty fun viewing.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm about to watch the new episode online since I missed it yesterday. Damn TiVo!

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Dammit! This show tugs at my heart in all the right places. I am so sad right now.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wuss. :p

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want constantly be giving Chuck and Sarah big hugs!

Chuck because he's sad.

Sarah because she's sad and HOT!