Pikes Bar Arrival ??

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nero's Shadow, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Never figured this out but why did captain pike visit the bar ?? Was he over seeing his cadets or did he know jim kirk would be there. Saying he was a commanding officer you think he would hanging around with officers his rank .?

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think he knew Kirk was there. I guess access to transporter technology makes it pretty easy to stalk people...

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

What were any of those cadets doing in Iowa? Sure, transporter technology makes it an easy trip to make, but why opt to teleport to a bar in the middle of nowhere, when there are undoubtedly thousands of great bars within easy walking distance of the Academy itself? We are, after all, talking about San Francisco here; one of the most diverse cities in North America, which is utterly famous for it's pubs, eateries, and nightlife.

Seems to me like Pike and his class were in Iowa on a class trip to check out the shipyards. Shipyards that didn't look like the kind of installation that had a lot of frills like dedicated recreational facilities for their own employees, let alone a club for visiting officers and a second for visiting cadets. Ya wanna get a drink or shoot some pool? Then ya pretty much have to go to the same local bar that the dockworkers and other locals frequent. Simple as that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

That makes... alot of sense.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Get drunk then build a ship. That's sounds about right.

6. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Worked for the Egyptians building the Pyramids. . . afterall, beer is liquid bread. . .

~FS

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No transporters. They all flew back with a shuttle. Picking up McCoy in Iowa as well. Iowa must be the center of public attention.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

When you have teleportation, nowhere is "the middle of nowhere." For all we know, Iowa is the hip n' happening place in the 23rd C.

9. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe in those big arcologies on the horizon, but we saw enough during young Kirk's joyride in the Vette, and adult Kirk's motorcycle ride, to know that future Iowa is about as excitement-free and nowhere-ish as you can get. There's certainly nothing at all in the film that would lead anyone to believe that there's anything remotely hip or happening about the area, let alone something so hip and happening that it could possibly compete with the attractions of the Greater San Francisco Bay Area.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps some of those cadets were actually stationed at the shipyard? I don't know exactly why they would, but they could have been studying the construction of the Enterprise in some way. Perhaps most of them were the cadet class that would be part of the crew, and so they were stationed where the ship was being built.

Pike? Probably dropped in to see Kirk.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I think this is the most logical answer.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Build each day, get drunk by night.

Sydney, Australia, was built on a rum-based economy - because England forgot top send out coins with the convict ships. Sadly, many used to drink their earnings.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Oh God I can see it now....

Flash Forward, July 6th, 2253, A bar in Riverside, Iowa, United States of America

A gentleman walks in, exhausted from the hours of working in the hot sun, dirt on his face and his calloused hands sore from metalwork. He spots a friend sitting in the bar.

"Hey Mark!" he shouts. His friend waves back and calls him over.

"Hey man, I don't know about you, but I wanna get drunk tonight, it's hot and that ship ain't gonna miss us tomorrow is it?" He asked.

"Nope. Hell yes, let's get to it!"

"Barkeep! A Corona and a..."

"Shot of Jager, start off strong why don't we?"

His friend smiles and said, "Make mine a shot of tequila, and keep em coming."

The two friend's begin drinking and reminiscing about old times; family, love, lost love, school, life. After a while of course, the alcohol (synthehol is a no-no tonight) takes it's toll on the two...

"Hey hey hey, remember that chick in a San Flanslisc-burp-o?"

"The redhead? The one that busted a window with a rock?"

"Yeah! What happened to her?!"

"That was my mother you ass! And she kinda had to pay for that window..."

"Aw, HEY! Whatthey got chu working on?"

"Uh...uh... fu...fus... the fusion reactors! I'm putting those in! What about you?"

"Uh...duh...I'm putting in those things that... you know those things that look like giant..." He places his hands over his chest.

"Oh the ti... the the the lasers!"

"Shhhhhhh*chuckle*hhhhhhh don't call em lasers! Old Man April will chop your face off! *in a dramatic voice* They're PHASERS!"

Both men laugh uncontrollably.

Tis' an average day for the average Federation shipbuilder.

;)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bar scene took place at night. I'm sure those cadets had all wrapped up their duty shifts for the day.

15. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why does anyone think Pike would be there because Kirk was there, he clearly said that he was shocked when he found out who he was.

The most logical reason has already been said, the cadets were on a class trip to the ship yard and Pike was either a tutor or possibly overseeing the construction of the Enterprise. His being at the bar could range from checking up on the cadets or going for a drink himself.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's never specified in the movie, but the dossier for Pike on the official site identifies him as holding a senior position in Starfleet recruiting, which would be reasonably consistent with lines like these:

So it's not much of a stretch to suppose that Riverside Shipyard was an overnight stop on a recruiting tour, and that Pike gets a call when some of the cadets making the trip with him get into a brawl at the local watering hole.

Attached Files:

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hahaha! So in Star Trek 2, Kirk will find out, that Pike gives the very same speech to everyone. "You were lying to me!" - "But... Jim... I was only doing my job!"

18. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Hmmm, Starfleet were so desperate for commanding officers for their latest flagship they chose someone from "Human Resources"? Of course if Cupcake and Co were along as Pike's idea of "Poster Boys", hopefully he is better at commanding starships than recruitment anyway. None of which does much for nuStarfleet's already low competency rating unfortunately.

Maybe whoever wrote that dossier should stop digging?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  19. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

I don't know about you, but if I were Starfleet and I was keen on recruiting new officers, I just might turn to the Starfleet officer in charge of recruiting.

But that's just me.

20. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Certainly, but they put him in charge of a flagship, not recruiting officers. Assuming Pike got a ride at all (which seems unlikely) I would imagine it would be in some old rust-bucket. In fact, given the Enterprise was just completed, where was the guy who was going to command her? Not someone straight out of recruitment surely?