If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trek_futurist, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because people might look into the past shows and films because of the film. Because new movies will be made.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

We love Star Trek. Making Star Trek popular again means we get more Star Trek.

Star Trek is not intended for anything other than entertainment. I don't care if people make money from it or not. If I get more to watch, I win.

3. trek_futurist

trek_futurist Lieutenant Commander

These things can be had in numerous ways, you can go to a general movie forum for this, a general music forum for this, a general entertainment forum for this. Why star trek?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?

5. trek_futurist

If this is your reasoning, why not watch anything else that is generally considered 'entertaining'? Why star trek? I don't get it. Especially if its 'insular' fan base annoys most of you.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because I enjoy Star Trek and am entertained by it. I also enjoy talking to other fans about it.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for here? Every corporate entity that has funded the production of Star Trek has done so to make money. If Star Trek isn't financially viable, it will no longer be produced. In order to be financially viable it has to reach for audiences outside its traditional fan base.

8. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No one has said that there aren't folks out there that hated the new movie. There are plenty of them. But there's plenty of folks who loved it too, including people who liked Star Trek before 2009 (I guess the correct term for them would be ex-Trekkies, since they gave up the right to be fans after falling for that disaster of a movie). But you're acting like the opinions of those who didn't like the movie supercede the opinions of those who did like it. It's not good enough for you that you didn't like it and others did- the whole world needs to know why the folks who did like it are wrong!

Now... I'm not going to go through your last attempt at a response to me point-by-point because you've filled it with a bunch of unsupportable crap that's impossible to prove, so I'm just going to respond with this:

You say that this is all about determining what is or isn't "Real Trek". Who are you to say this isn't "Real Trek"? In fact, I would go so far to say that by getting up on the big screen and by getting support from previous Star Trek related folks, you've been overruled. The important people (the ones involved with Trek, currently and previously) seem to have decided that Trek 09 is Real Trek. There is no point in discussing whether or not this is Real Trek because that's been decided for you, whether you like it or not. I guess the only real remaining point of discussion now is how far the fandom has fallen since 2009. :)

And you keep claiming that Star Trek was never about the money.... don't kid yourself. These folks (old and new) aren't doing this stuff for the betterment of humanity. They're doing it to make a dime. There are plenty of movies or shows that give off a good message once in a while, but that wasn't why they were made. Do you really think Rodenberry would have tried to start Trek back up after it was canceled for the first time if it didn't get popular in syndication? It was never about, "I must get the message out to the people!!".

9. BillJ

I watch many different things and also have interest outside of TV. I doubt anyone here is solely dependent on Trek for his/her entertainment.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't watch Star Trek because the masses tell me it's entertaining. I watch Star Trek because I find it entertaining. Why do YOU watch Star Trek?

TV and movies are meant to entertain. Entertainment is entirely subjective. Different people are entertained by different things. If a TV show also happens to teach morals or life lessons, great, but that's not the reason I watch them.

Star Trek is just a TV show. You seem intent on elevating into something more. Just because you get more out of it doesn't make it anything other than a TV show.

11. trek_futurist

It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of us who simply 'like' it with no apparent explanation.

There is no such delineation between people who watch the majority of sitcoms. Obviously in order for such a delineation to subsist the medium must be presenting something to forge the separation between you and I.

Not as simple as you seem to be painting it.

12. trek_futurist

If your view of it is this simplistic, what are you here to discuss? Anything?

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously? There has to be a reason?

Why are you so hellbent on defining who should or shouldn't be a fan? Do you not want the unclean, dumber masses enjoying your TV show?

It's a TV show. It's there for entertainment. And as luck would have it, it entertains many of us here. Stop overthinking this, cupcake.

14. trek_futurist

Then again, what are you here to discuss? I keep missing the point of that.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay...

I like Star Trek because I enjoy the actors and the characters. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the space battles. I enjoy the humor. I enjoy a lot of things about Star Trek. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a little kid. I also like that it explores the human condition and attempts to show the hope of the future. I like all of those things.

16. BillJ

I'm shallow, I'm in it for the babes in miniskirts. Just like GR! :techman:

17. trek_futurist

But none of this explains why you are putting so much effort into explaining that it is simple entertainment and nothing of value beyond this. In fact, your efforts belie your claims.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Those are good too.

19. trek_futurist

Okay

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nobody has said that is has no value beyond entertainment. You're putting words in people's mouths again.

It's a TV show. It's main purpose is to provide entertainment and make money. But it can also explore science and morality and the human condition. You do get that it's possible to have both, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.