Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard): $29

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greatest news I've heard all day! Linky

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Can you run it on a PC?

3. Mr. Laser Beam

^ No.

But Windows can be run on Intel Macs. ;)

4. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Sure. You can run other versions of Mac OS on "hackintoshes" so I don't see why not, eventually, when someone cracks it or whatever.

5. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Awesome! :D

J.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

It seems that most of the changes this time around are 'under the hood' performance improvements. (The Finder, for one thing.) There may be a few interface tweaks, like in QuickTime, but most of the real changes are things that we can't see. Perhaps that's even better. This one is definitely not just more eye candy.

8. MacWin

MacWin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty much the point. Snow Leopard has always been intended as more of "under the hood" increase performance and stability release as opposed to "lets add a shit ton more of useless features while the rest of the OS sucks" release.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

So far, I've loved Mac OS X Leopard. I haven't seen any real issues with it. Then again, it's my first Mac OS. I'm used to Windows systems.

J.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Note that this $29 upgrade price is apparently for existing Leopard users. FWIW.

Then again, who isn't using Leopard now anyway? Snow Leopard will require a modern Mac to run - a Mac which either *shipped* with Leopard or has already been installed with it. As for Tiger, well, if anyone's still using that, then they obviously don't care about Leopard *or* Snow Leopard, so I don't see how they can complain...

In any case, people who are still using Tiger do have an option: Buy the box set which includes Snow Leopard and iLife. In fact I (as a Leopard user) might do that anyway, since the iLife set will no doubt include 64-bit versions of most of the apps.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep, I'm using Leopard right now. It came with my iMac, although my iMac originally shipped with Tiger, when I purchased it from a Mac Reseller, they installed Leopard on it as a thank you. That was cool.

J.

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

If they'd remember to put a feckin' express port on their macbook pros I'd be happier about this.

I don't even own SD cards!

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It would be very easy to do.

J.

14. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

My Mac is quite old, one of the first Intel-equipped iMacs from 2006. Would that be recent enough to run Snow Leopard, as far as is currently known?

15. MacWin

Snow Leopard will run on any Intel Mac.

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
    1GB of memory
    5GB of free disk space
    DVD drive for installation
    Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    Some features require Appleā€™s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh, 3 years isn't old. My iMac is also a 2006 model, and it's running a Mac OS X Leopard & Windows 7 dual boot. I authorize DVDs, edit video, audio, do a lot of work multitasking, and it's up to the challenge every time. I will be purchasing Snow Leopard as soon as it is available.

Oh, and for the record, my iMac gets a 4.1 out of 5.0 performance rating on Microsoft Windows 7, and all I've ever added was another GB of RAM (2 GB total). So yeah, she'll still compete with the elite. :D

J.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I just had a thought: Somebody should petition Apple to name OS X 10.7 "Sehlat". :lol:

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

:lol: Sounds good to me!

J.

19. MacWin

Well there isn't a whole bunch of Big Cat names left we'll probably see OS X.7 Lion.

20. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Wouldn't have paid $129, I'm happy with the performance of my 2007 iMac . $29 (and some student discount) is fine though.