Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

After "Arrow" maybe people would be expecting a Captain America series with an affected classy title.

I suppose more realistically it creates a better search engine query.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

At least they didn't call it Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

3. Mr. Adventure

Or SHIELD: NY...

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought we were supposed to call it Avengers Assemble.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

So i guess now that it's confirmed that the show will follow up on Avengers we still don't know how Coulson managed to survive :lol:

I'm happy that they are apparently making a big deal of it in the show by making it one of the big mysteries of the first season s i hope simple comic solutions like a Life Model Decoy or someone with healing powers is out.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Like I keep saying, people in real life can potentially survive that kind of impalement injury with prompt medical attention, and the medics were on the scene pretty promptly. I don't think there needs to be any more complicated explanation than "Fury lied."

7. Set Harth

It should be time travel.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can top that -- "Dolph Lundgren is The Killing Machine."

And no, it's not the same thing as Chuck Norris is "Walker, Texas Ranger." The title is actually "Dolph Lundgren is the Killing Machine."

9. Mr. Adventure

^^ That's pretty funny, I suspect that was an unintentional mistake, looking at the DVD cover I think that was just for the promotional aspect not that it was meant to be the title but that is indeed what it's titled at MPAA.org.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you look at the back cover the credits show: "Dolph Lundgren is The Killing Machine" Dolph Lundgren Stefanie von Pfetten Samantha Ferris

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen to that.

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

While it's of course possible to explain it away like that, I think this would somewhat diminish the emotional impact of Coulson's death in the movie. That's why I suspect Whedon et al. have something a little more complicated in mind.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Coulson's death was studio-mandated, so it's possible Whedon might just bring him back with as little explanation possible (like "Fury lied") just as a middle finger to the studio.

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That's very likely. If there's one thing Whedon is known for, it's that he doesn't like it when fan favorite characters are killed.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except we already knew in the movie that Fury used deceit about Coulson's death (faking the blood on the cards) to motivate the heroes to get over their differences. That was the point of Coulson's "last words" -- that they needed something to avenge, something to care about that would get them past their egos and forge them as a team.

Heck, the whole thing looked so faked to me that throughout the rest of the movie I was expecting Coulson to turn up alive in the final or post-credits scene. Between Coulson's last line and the fact that we didn't see him die, just heard Fury claim he was dead over the radio, it felt like they were setting the audience up for the surprise reveal that he was alive after all. (And that Whedon was playing with audience expectations -- we think of him as the guy who kills off beloved characters, so he'd make us think he'd done it again and then spring the surprise twist on us.) So his revival in the series just seems to me like the natural extension of what's already blatantly hinted at in the movie itself.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:shifty:

Not sure if serious.

17. Set Harth

Coulson clones.

Crunch all you want, they'll make more.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coulson = Vorta?

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Oh the Fury is wise..."

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Loki was just screwing with them for some reason, I mean he is the god of mischief.