Check this out!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mrcasio, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Mrcasio

Mrcasio Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I bet you can take out the side of a building with that thing.

3. Mrcasio

Mrcasio Lieutenant Red Shirt

its not real.. lol.. just a toy

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

WHAT?!?

5. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a fancy heater!

6. teacake

Is that a quote from.. A Piece of the Action?

7. Melakon

Yes, and my 'side of a building' was a paraphrase from it too.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really do love you guys. I sincerely do. But sometimes I feel like I should be under the influence of a powerful drug before entering this sub-forum.

9. Melakon

It certainly helps. Hopefully the "botanical samples" I ordered will arrive in a few hours. :shifty:

Picked up Voyager Season 1 and Star Trek Into Darkness today at the used video store, so I'll be ready when the smoking supplies arrive. It will be my first viewing of STID.

10. dub

Cool! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Into Darkness. I'll be sure to shoot up first. :eek:

11. Melakon

I've only found 2 things I like so far in ST2009 (aside from some performances), which I didn't see until 2012. So don't hold your breath. ;)

I have high hopes for Peter Weller though.

12. dub

Without spoiling anything (although I'm impressed if you haven't been sufficiently spoiled yet)...

...well, I'll put spoiler tags on it just in case it somehow influences your viewing experience:

I absolutely loved the first part of the film. I mean, I loved it. Huge grin, laughs, excitement! It was awesome! But then things started happening I believe it was in the last third of the film that really made me cringe. And then it just turned into one big non-stop cringe. And I haven't had the stomach to watch it again since.

I've watched 2009 about three times I think.

So you're not going to offend me if you didn't like it. I'm just interested to hear what you think regardless!

13. Melakon

I've read the wiki synopsis and the one at Memory Alpha, so I pretty much know the plot and events already. The whole business with 72 torpedoes sounds pretty confusing, but I guess if you use enough lens flare, shakey cam, and lights shining into the camera for no reason, audiences just don't think about stuff like that.

I don't buy into the JJ is a genius stuff, because ST09 is the first thing by him I've ever seen and I wasn't that impressed. I don't think it's a bad film, I just didn't care for how he uses the camera.

14. dub

See, I think his style is cool. I like it. I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes the lens flares. Shaky cam is annoying when I can't figure out what's going on, what ship I'm looking at, etc. But otherwise, it works for me.

I had mixed feelings about Trek '09 when I first saw it. I liked it better the second time. So it's good in my book. But I just don't find it as rewatchable as some other Trek films. I think the actors all do great jobs though for the most part.

15. Melakon

Well my samples arrived, and the first one is working quite well, but I haven't watched anything yet. I'm saving STID for Fourth of July, hoping it will feel more like a special event.

I'm going to start with "Caretaker", probably take a break between episodes, and see how long my personal Star Trek Marathon lasts, making Trek the only thing I watch, possibly for the whole 3-day weekend.

I'm sure teacake is pretty excited by all this right now, though I wish they'd had Season 4 at the store instead so I could have seen Jeri in the silver suit. I may have to ask them next month to see if they can get it from one of their other stores.

So, I'm off to engage.

16. teacake

I adored 2009 easily one of my top 5 movies of all time.

STiD had some great individual scenes, and the things that bothered me initially stopped bothering me after a few viewings. Great music, stunning visuals, the band back together.. it's good stuff but XI was an absolute gem. Haven't felt that way about a movie since Star Wars.

17. teacake

YAY!!!!!! I hope you do reviews!!!

If you haven't seen them in years and your memory is as bad as mine it will be like Brand New Trek.

18. Melakon

Well, I did a refresh of the forum topics and here you are!

I used to have the first season on vhs from taping it each week, but some were unplayable or overwritten for Enterprise. So it's been years since I've seen the episodes. See you later. ;)

19. teacake

ENJOY!

When I bought the dvd's there were whole scenes that were new to me because the videos I bought were all second hand from the video shop and had huge rolling chunks of snow in them.

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Why, Melakon and I were just discussing the same thing in a different Thread!...I will be jetting to Denver soon, and will be sure to pick up some botanical samples for the viewing...far out!
    :techman: