AMT model kit catalog - 1976

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TREK_GOD_1, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

I did not kitbash, but in the late 1970s a friend of mine had this ugly looking plastic model rocket, that looked like it was designed in the 1950s for a low budget "B" science fiction film. It was not designed for flight, it was for show only. He knew I had Estes model rockets and solid rocket engines so he asked me to put some rocket engines inside this display model rocket to destroy it. I took it a step further and poured some paint thinner inside the second stage of the model hoping that the solid rocket engine glued the stage below would ignite the second stage compartment of paint thinner.

Well, I put too much paint thinner in the second stage compartment and when the first rocket engine exhausted its fuel the plastic model rocket fell and impacted into the ground, nose first, before the second engine was ignited by the first engine. After the second engine ran out of fuel it did ignite the paint thinner in the next compartment and there was an explosion with a big black cloud of smoke.

My friend gave the remains of the model to some kid that happened to be there to see it crash and explode and asked for it.

That kitbash you mentioned sounds hideous! I wish I could get the image of that kitbash out of my mind. :)

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I actually made a more accurate B/C deck for the AMT 18" Enterprise by using cut-up parts from the Estes model rocket, but never got around to finishing the project. I sold the half-done model to someone else, who did a great job with it.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Roddenberry should have bought the scout design for the Klingon's own shuttlecraft.

4. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a FYI that "UFO" kit has been re-released by Round 2, as has its non Glow-in the Dark- sister kit, Leif Ericson Galactic Crusier.
    This classic spacecraft was designed by Matt Jeffries

Personally I'm waiting for the re-release of the Petty Dart next Month, and the dart Truck combo in Oct/Nov.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Which explains the similarity of D-7 with the scout craft of the LE

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those kits were awesome. I had them all. Just wish I still did. :(

-Chris

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Which I already mentioned in post #16. :p

There's also a similarity between the Leif Ericson and DS9's USS Defiant, especially in the shape and placement of the engine pods.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good catch! Considering the Leif Ericson's origin and AMT association with Star Trek, the design similarities seem like more than a coincidence.

[​IMG]

9. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's remarkable.

Take the Leif, knock off the stovepipe and the tail fins, and you've got the Defiant! :lol:

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Considering how much merchandising was done during the ModernTrek era, I'm amazed they never put out a booze bottle shaped as DEFIANT. LEIF is basically a booze bottle, but the DS9 ship would be a really cool booze bottle.