An important question for the moderators

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trek_futurist, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trek_futurist

trek_futurist Lieutenant Commander

I have witness several conversations in which the original participants attempted a high minded, intellectual exchange that was pretty much hijacked by people with the intention of dumbing it down. Instead of warning these individuals you chose to close the threads. Why?

Why must those of us who wish to engage in meaningful conversations suffer because of those individuals who deliberately seek to undermine it? Why does your approach to dealing with the matter favor closing good threads instead of dealing with the assailants in such threads?

It makes no sense to me, unless you favor less intellectual conversation and more of the dumbed down variety?

I'm not saying the above is the case, but when you favor closing decent threads instead of dealing with those who are attacking them, it may leave one suspicious of this approach.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

There's usually a reason given for why a thread is closed. If you're unhappy with a mod decision, the way to handle it is by PM first. If the issue can't be resolved that way, you can raise the issue in the "Moderator Actions" subforum (but please read the rules in the description of that forum first).
    Warnings are only handed out for disruptive behaviour as a last resort, not arbitrarily because a poster has a different opinion or a different approach to things.

As there are no specific examples in your OP it can only be answered in this general manner. Making vague accusations that go very much into the direction of attacking posters, not the posts, isn't helpful for creating a welcoming, discussion-friendly atmosphere. So, I'm closing this thread. Please use the way I described above instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.