Cumberbatch Shower Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, May 23, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would comfort Alice Eve all the while feeling her up.

You can replace that with any name:

I would comfort Zoe Saldana all the while feeling her up.
    I would comfort Zachary Quinto all the while feeling him up.
    I would comfort Chris Pine all the while feeling him up.

And on, and on...

It's all tongue-in-cheek, of course, as I'd never actually invade someone's personal space.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Oh my i did not see the feeling up part. No way man. I am but a lowly human. They wouldn't want to be touched by me!
    Besides CumberKhan would probably break a person in half if you tried to do something he didn't like.

I apologize teacke.
    [​IMG]

I Trekk'ed myself before I wrecked myself.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

When men say something like that they are called perverts, but if women say they they are given a pat on the head and sent on their merry way.:rommie:

Reminds me of Twilight fangirls and how the media rolls their eyes at them!:p

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, if they ever reboot Lord of the Rings, Cumberbatch should play Grima Wormtongue.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually don't think you (J.Allen) would post that on this forum. It comes across as crass more than tongue in cheek. And there's also a difference between talking about Real Life actors and Fictional characters. I'm not attacking you here, just furthering discussion.

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Naw he's too tall for Grima. Maybe Elrond from Rivendell. They're both weird looking enough for the role.

7. Amaris

There's no vocal inflection to get across the idea that I'm taking the piss, but I am. As I said, I would never invade someone's personal space without their permission. I believe quite strongly in one's body being one's complete property and no one else's.

8. teacake

This has nothing to do with real life and what you wouldn't do, no one has brought that up but yourself. I'm just saying that talking about feeling up an actor comes easier and is less offensive if the actor is male, I think if the actor is female you would have a pause in this forum before you posted such a thing. It doesn't come across as tongue in cheek, it comes across as crossing a line though the line seems more strongly drawn when we are talking about women.

9. Amaris

All joking aside, for the moment, I'm sure people would pause. Still, feeling up a man without getting his permission is just as wrong as feeling up a woman without getting her permission. I don't see it as a gender issue, though. Gender doesn't even play into it from my perspective. Invading someone's personal space without their consent is wrong. That seems simple enough. Now, what seems to be the trouble?

10. teacake

Yes J. we know you would never feel up anyone in real life without their consent. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything I posted.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

:lol: I so want to know what's going on in that scene. Lol.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Obviously invading anyone's personal space without their permission is wrong, male or female, but I think you're kind of missing the forest for the trees here in your pursuit of avoiding double standards, J. There's a stronger implication behind saying you're going to feel up a woman than a man without their permission because of the vastly higher rate of sexual harassment and assault women face on a daily basis. Saying that to or about a 5'4" woman (or any woman) is probably not going to come across the same way as it would saying it to or about a 6'0" man, because of the history and implications behind such comments from each perspective.

Now, like teacake, I'll throw out the qualifier that this has nothing to do with you, personally. You're a good guy and I know you meant nothing sinister by it and would never feel up anyone without their consent. I just disagree with you that it should mean the same thing to men and women, especially in our present day society where sexual harassment and assault --especially though not exclusively toward women-- is a major concern.

13. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

So this is what passes for an appreciation thread in 2013? Egads. I will gladly purchase the blu-ray w/ Cumberbund's gratuitous shower scene and watch the hell outa that over and over and over.

He is an acquired taste but I fully understand the Cumberlove out there. I had an awful time in the theater, PunkinPatch, Pine, Quinto, Cho, Urban. . . so very very luverly!

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Sometimes when they're shooting crying scenes, someone off-camera will blow menthol into the actor's face to help them generate tears. That's what that scene looked like. Cumberbatch flinched a bit and then you see a big tear.

15. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Actually, Cumberbatch can cry on demand. They even say so in a Sherlock commentary. I don't see a flinch in any case.

16. Amaris

Sure, I understand that. The days of smacking a woman on the rear and telling her "good job, sweet cheeks" being condoned, and such are long gone, and good riddance. Women have had to put up with sexual harassment in the workplace, at home, when going out with friends, in almost every social sphere of life, as well as receive little to no support from their under-representative governments when it comes to dire issues like rape, and personal body choice, and that in most societies it is a male dominated environment where one is seen as an object of sexual gratification rather than as an intelligent human being who has thoughts, feelings, and is deserving of respect.

Edit to add:
    The only reason I feel comfortable enough to make jokes like I do here, is because I've got to know so many of you, and have been here for more than a decade now. I wouldn't make these jokes where I didn't know anyone, because it would come across exactly as teacake (and yourself) is concerned it would. The familiarity here makes it much easier for me to play around a bit, because I know most of you know me well enough to see it as nothing more than Benny Hill style silliness.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  17. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Cumberbatch has a rather felinoid facial appearance. What would it have been like if Cumberbatch played Bilbo Baggins and Martin Freeman played John Harrison?

18. sj4iy

I like books, movies and plays in which people do things that I would never tolerate IRL. Now, you could say that makes me a hypocrite, but I don't think so. I like BBC's Sherlock, but if I knew that character IRL, I would probably hate him. It's entertainment, not reality, and the problem only arises when people allow life imitate to art. Some movies, books and plays ARE social commentary, and that's fine. But is political correctness necessary in everything? I have to live life with the realities of what being a woman in a man's world is like- I know what it's like. And really, a scene like this is just escapism. I think people are completely allowed to argue whether it is necessary to the plot, but I don't think it should be taken as an example of degrading women, because it doesn't.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

We're actually talking about the implications of a comment made about personal space and gender issues in the thread itself, not about the scene in the movie or anything else specifically Star Trek related. So, in this case, it actually is reality. :)

20. sj4iy

True, but I was saying that people are treating entertainment as reality in this case, and it's not.

And yes, when I lived in Japan, I was groped more than once on a crowded train. It's such a problem there that they have separate cars in Tokyo for women and men. Some of the Chinese men that I was acquainted said that I must be cheating on my boyfriend (now husband) because I went to Japan for school for a year. And here in the US, I was demoted for taking maternity leave. And I have been called terrible things because I like sports (despite being married and having children), which I don't even remotely understand because I know many women who do. It's definitely not long gone yet.