(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha! well you never know, frankly Forest are due to slip up given the run they're on but that doesn't mean they neccesarily will.

So, who do people think Marlon King will be playing for in 2 years time? Glad the scumbag got what was coming to him, I can't believe he had something like 13 previous convictions!

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Probably some League One/Two side. Can't imagine the Premier League wanting him, and frankly he's not good enough anyway. He was only ever good in Championship with Watford.

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Wow. Managed to miss that fact when reading the news stories.

Him, Barton, Bowyer.. almost a Masters team. ;)

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The German Bundesliga remains quite interesting:

[​IMG]

Pity that "we", Werder Bremen, only drew today (especially as Hamburg lost 2:3 at home), but after an awful first half and being 2:0 behind, a 2:2 was great :D. Here's to the 17th game in a row (including cup and Europa League) without a loss.
    [​IMG]

PS: Hertha BSC was a contender for the title last year (they finished 5th and are in the EL). How quickly things change. :D

5. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

It must be quite exciting to have so much variability in your domestic league. It's not one I follow closely, but it always seems to have dramatically over/under performing teams. On the flip side, I wouldn't want Arsenal to be fighting against relegation. ;)

Hertha, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund and Leverkusen all seem very unpredictable.

The only German team I've seen play are Hertha. I saw a game at the Olympiastadion at the start of its renovation: good game, too.

6. Iasius

Yeah, it is exciting (Werder Bremen finished 10th last season, so I suppose I like some variability, even though they finished 2nd the season before). The Bundesliga is also very close to taking 3rd place in the UEFA rankings from Serie A and getting a fourth CL spot.

7. HappyDayRiot

Well naturally Andrei Voronin is a massive loss to any sid... oh I can't finish that sentence. Awful player :D

I do like good open leagues like the Bundesliga. And I'd be more than happy to see 4 German teams in the CL instead of the Italians.

Bet Liverpool would like a good open league at the moment. They're down and out now. I didn't think it could get any worse for them after the beachball, but today's game was a real farce, mainly due to bizarre tactics and prioritising the Champions League game. At 1:1 Liverpool were, AFAIK, still controlling play and could have probably pushed for the win. So what does Benitez do? Subs off his only two matchwinners so he can play them in Lyon. Foolish, in my opinion. That's one title challenger out of the race... though of course I predicted from the off they were never in it to start with :D

8. Iasius

Hehe, not a good day for the top teams. Leverkusen drew, Bremen drew, Hamburg lost, Schalke drew, Bayern drew, Wolfsburg drew, Mainz drew. :lol:

Well, no one really understood how exactly Hertha was so "good" last season (mainly a lot of lucky one goal difference wins, they were sort of the Greece of the last Bundesliga seasons). So there's a certain satisfaction among many that they play so badly this seasons.

(And Voronin's 11 goals in 27 games earned him a 16th place among goalscorers, not exactly stellar.)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  9. HappyDayRiot

Those results are superb and what keeps leagues interesting. I remember last year there were two days where the top five teams didn't even score, let alone win and it kept things tight for just that little longer.

I can't believe Voronin only got 11 though - it seemed like every week I was reading in the Bundesliga summary article he'd scored yet another winner. So now he's even more useless in my mind - thanks Iasiusthat's made my day!

Of course, as open leagues go, the Championship that Jax, Starkers and I follow is pretty gaping as well - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/table/default.stm

10. Iasius

Well, most of them did score.
    Schalke - Leverkusen: 2-2 (0-2)
    Nürnberg - Bremen: 2-2 (2-0)
    Hamburg - Gladback: 2-3 (1-1)
    Stuttgart - Bayern: 0-0
    Wolfsburg - Mainz: 3-3 (2-2)

They just didn't score more.

Glad to be of help in any way that lowers your opinion of Hertha('s ex-players). :D

That does look really interesting. :eek:

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Actually, it's much more exciting than I'd like it to be - being a Bayern supporter, I like my Bundesliga exciting only as long as there is no doubt about who'll top the table in the end ;)

By the way, great job by Schalke tonight, scoring twice inside the last seven minutes and forcing a draw against Leverkusen. :techman:

12. HappyDayRiot

Damn you Billy Davies! Damn you and your shrewd substitutions! Damn Forest and injury time equalisers!

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, whilst you might have expected Newcastle, WBA and Cardiff near the top who'd have seen Blackpool, Leicester and Bristol City in the top 6 at this stage. Ok it might not stay that way, but I still firmly expect another surprise team to get promoted ala Hull/Burnley etc.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Lewis Mcgugan our best midfielder imo, gotta love the guy ;)

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

BYE BYE Liverpool :lol: and also about time the CL got fun to watch this season. 3-3 Utd game was fantastic :techman:

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the Europa League Liverpool and Bayern. :D

17. HappyDayRiot

And Barca at this rate! Now that would be an incredible story.

Best group stage for bloody ages. And Roma v Fulham tonight I cannot wait.

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Fuck, horrible, horrible perfomance by my club, that's the end of our run in the European Cup this year. Oh well, was nice while it lasted. Our Ultras made a nice Star Trek-themed intro though: [the banner says "let's go, boys, beam us to the final" (a little overly optimistic ;))]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sad to hear about the German Keepers death, sounds like he could of been a big player for GER in the World Cup. Cudicini of Tottenham has been injured seriously in a motor bike accident yesterday and looks like his career is over from reports.

Bad week for Football really :(

On a positive note we get to see Ireland dump the french out hopefully :p I do fancy there chances, c'mon ireland it won't be a world cup party without the Irish to sing and drink with :techman:.

If you love Brazil or hate England then you will be happy come Saturday evening when the Samba boys stuff England because with the injuries I can't see us getting out of the Middle East with less than a 2-0 drubbing if not 3-0.

20. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, Gibbs has followed Van Persie into the injury room. It's been a while since I've seen Traore at left back, hope he can fill in well enough. Rumor is that Gibbs fractured his metatarsal, if so that, like Clichy's back fracture, is a long term layoff.

I suppose Sagna could be shifted to left back though, and keep Eboue on the right.

Ramsey had a cracking game against Scotland, I'd love to see him play in Diaby's position more often.

I wonder if Wenger will switch to 4-4-2 and put Arshavin behind Eduardo, or if he'll keep the 4-3-3 and hope Eduardo can play as a target man.