New Empire magazine STID photos

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 24, 2012.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The old Kirk was a rule breaker, he did violate orders in Amok Time but was later allowed to go to Vulcan, just as he crossed the Neutral Zone in Balance Of Terror before he was given permission, Then there's breaking the Prime Directive in A Private Little War. But this Krik lost his father at an early age and clearly is a rather more reckless person than the other Kirk. Still though I can't see his command being returned to him by the end of the movie.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That is what I am thinking to.

Harrison is Bane and Weller's Character is Ra's al Ghul. :)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Conspiracy theory mode: The 2007/8 fan film Star Trek: Of Gods and Men just happened to have a similar time travel/alternate reality plot to JJ's 2009 movie (STXI: George Kirk dies at Jim's birth, OGaM: Winona and unborn Jim bite the dust)

Fast forward to now, and the makers of OGaM are putting together Star Trek: Renegades, featuring Captain Lexxa Singh, a female descendant of Khan. I thought it was the fanwankiest thing I've read in years, but... coincidence?:vulcan:

*applies tin foil hat*

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure he's going to get it back.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/22/jj-...-into-darkness-plot-themes-lens-flares-in-3d/

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's been proposed here recently.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I been mocking all the crazy speculation but that is the most likely thing I have heard. Ego driven partially because I had the same idea. The real world comparison maybe neo-Nazi's and the Klan. The War might long be over but that does not mean there are not still those on the fringes of society would do not hold on to the ideas of the losers. Also it would be an original angle not explored before. JJ was motivated to do the first movie because the early days of the crew had not been explored on screen before.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I actually brought this up in another topic, Orci said it was one of his favourite novels and that after watching the 9 minute trailer coupled with the trailers, I thought they might've gone in this direction.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing that really stands out in some of these pics and others we've seen.. SPOCK'S HAIR. It's mussy. Spock's hair is never mussy but it seems NuSpock is a bit lax on the product.

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Prime Directive in the 24th Century
    On some of the mission orders seen in "Conspiracy", three starships were sent to investigate the pre-warp civilization on Gamma Argus II. The captains were given discretion in making first contact with the native civilization.

Relationship between Spock and Surak
    In "Journey to Babel", it was learned that the relationship between Spock and Surak became strained after Spock chose to enter into Starfleet. It took a series of events aboard the Enterprise to change the trajectory of the relationship.

One of the changes I feel that is being reflected in this new iteration of Star Trek is the loss of character for the Enterprise. I feel the ship is used either as a backdrop to establish scenes or as a disposable vessel to transport the heroes.

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: New Empire magazine STID photos & story info [spoilers]

I'm going with not.

We waited what, four-five years for this film and finally it comes out and Kirk's not going to be in command of the Enterprise? :rolleyes: Terrific. I'll bet the first nine minutes are the only time Kirk's in command. Why don't we get to see any business-as-usual Trek with these new cast members?

It's almost as awesome as the Toby Maguire Spider-Man films where Spider-Man always either takes his mask off or gets it knocked off. So instead of enjoying Spider-Man as he should appear we're looking non stop at Toby Maguire's grotesque face for 2 hours intervals.

Anyway... I'm sure as a 'film' it'll be good but Star Trek... oh, how I wish it was back on television where it rightfully belongs. :klingon:

These five year waits between uninspiring revenge fantasies are not my cup of Earl Grey.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would make a great sig for a disillusioned TNG fan!

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well said Doctor Huxtable. :techman:

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We do see Kirk on the Enterprise and in command gold after he has supposedly been stripped of rank and gone rogue to capture Harrison. In promo pics and trailers.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect it'll go somewhat like this: Kirk's in command and something happens and Kirk loses his command and does something so he regains it in time for the final confrontation with bad guy.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Surak was the philosopher who founded the Vulcan philosophy of logic nearly 2000 years ago. Sarek is Spock's father.

16. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I was tired when I wrote that post. Thanks for catching the mistake.:)

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Earl Grey? This isn't TNG. ( thank god) Kirk's a coffee man.

That its a well done "revenge fantasy" is what matters. And I'm not sure "revenge fantasy" is exactly the term you're looking for. ;)

18. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

I think people should wait and see the film before deciding that it suxxx.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Don't think anyone here thinks that it 'suxxx' before seeing it. Though I'm concerned that we seem to be hitting some of the same story points that we saw in the last film.

20. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek hits a lot of common story points. They use the same family of characters and each story is some kind of continuation of the same characters in the same universe. The same can be said for every Trek movie that has come out since 1979. Somehow the fact that Abrams is doing it makes it not ok for some people. That's just petty.