Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I know yeah, people having different opinions is shocking. ;)

I actually liked Jadzia more than Ezri. It really annoyed me that Ezri got so much screen time after Jadzia was killed off in such a poor manner. I said that Ezri was a better written character already, and I just said how I would fix things to make things work a little smoother.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I liked Ezri more than Jadzia, too, though I agree that she was kind of rushed. I understand that was kind of the nature of the situation, but in retrospect if they'd known Terry Farrell was leaving the show when they were writing Season Six, I wish they'd just killed her at one of the other two near-death experiences she had in "Rocks and Shoals" or "Change of Heart" so that Ezri would have had a little more time to get introduced without taking up as much of the final season as she did.

It would have been more daring if they'd replaced Jadzia with a male Trill, though I get why they didn't do that. Nana Visitor would have been the only female regular if that had happened. :p

Armus and Grendelsbayne like this.
  3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Luther Sloan was the absolute worst. The whole concept of a rogue outfit was quite a good one but they ruined it by having a clown front it.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

But moving a character from one series to another changes the whole dynamic and can lead to some very interesting things. Worf was rejuvenated by DS9, the same thing could have happened to Chakotay.

I love Ezri, btw.

5. Seven of Five

I'd love to see the DS9 version of Chakotay actually. Or even the whole cast.

6. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I liked Ezri, mainly because she seemed down to earth and not over top or anything. Being cute didn't hurt either.

I also liked that little speech she gave to Worf on the truth about Klingons.

The one thing I thought was lame was that like Dax, she was a dark haired female, around the same age, with a blue uniform, who just happened to be a Trill on the same ship that they were carrying the Dax symbiont on.

What an amazing coincidence. It's like Jadzia never really went anywhere!! :lol:

Lous and Grendelsbayne like this.
  7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, Chakotay on DS9 might've been interesting if he behaved like he did in Caretaker before Janeway castrated him.

8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Ezri.

She only had one season for character development as opposed to 7 like the others, that's the real problem.

Armus and Lous like this.
  9. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have been interesting to see Ezri deal with the Klingon guff Jadzia was always spouting. Let some old Klingon rivals come a' calling. It might have also been intriguing to see Kira host the Dax symbiont for a few days, and deal with deeper held opinions about each other (secret resentments, etc), and other secrets from their past.

Physically I thought Ezri was an interesting choice - she would have to deal with perhaps less male attention than Jadzia was accustomed to as a "Babe," where Ezri was "cute." Not to mention no longer being able to reach the top shelf.

I liked Ezri, but she was written so off-kilter she should have hooked up with Barclay.

The romance with Bashir was too easy. Come on, he really preferred the symbiont to the packaging? Really?? Was he that out of touch with his own biology?

Mission accomplished! :techman: Thanks Ryva Brall!

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm in the Ezri > Jadzia camp as well. I thought Farrel was a sub-par performer that was assigned a poorly thought out character with no direction. That's usually a recipe for disaster.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 7 had way too much focus on Dax and Vic Fontaine as well.

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Ezri too, although I kinda wish they had developed a romance between her and Jake.

Lous likes this.
  13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 Chakotay would have been hardcore, maybe he would have gotten a second tattoo.

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    No argument there.

We've got quite enough bad plots/characters, thanks :). DS9 can keep theirs.

15. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well she was tacked on, Farrel left the show for what she felt was greener pastures, and they had to get another female, and Ezri was a darn good addition. I liked Ezri better then Jazdia, who was nice to look at but changed personality every season or so. and I hate the Klingon Barbi type she became.

As for worse, it would be some of the elder ferengi. they started out ok, but went downhill fast.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't be silly. Keiko was the most annoying character on DS9 by a long shot.

And, of course, they had to replace Jadza with another Dax. The symbiote thing had been set up years ago; how on Earth (or Bajor) do you resist an opportunity like that? It was like a gift from the writing gods (or Prophets).

And Ezri turned out to be very likeable and appeaing.

Lous and QuantumMechanic like this.
  17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, Rom was the worst character. I didn't care for him at all, the way he was written or portrayed, and if I ever watch Deep Space 9 again, I'm likely to skip every single scene he's in.

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  18. Seven of Five

Hmm. I suppose a polished turd is still just a turd. ;)

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  19. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it difficult to disagree with any of this, so I'm not going to! :techman:

Lous likes this.
  20. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

Yeah. Even if they were somehow able to make his character more interesting, Beltran would still have the acting range of a plank of cedar.