Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Do you enjoy perpetuating a stereotype?

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Don't bother....

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread=Out of Control

4. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

It might not make sense to you, but it makes sense to everyone else.

>sigh<
    Let's try again...

Got it? You don't know what the conversation will be based on 7 seconds of out of context dialogue.

Are you really going to assert that misdirection in a trailer is due to the trailer makers thinking THAT'S how the movie should be?

[keanu]....whoa....[/keanu]

It's "not helping the movie"? The one that hasn't been released yet and so an accurate gauge of how it's helping or hurting can't yet be made?

In fact, this is one of the most talked about scenes in the first trailer and interest has been generated to see if Pa Kent is really saying that and if he is, what could make him say that.

See how it works? Either way, people will be buying tickets to find out. Just like people will be buying to tickets to see what makes the "Enterprise" crash into the water. Oh, it's not the Enterprise. Psych!

You don't say.

I mean it's not like the character I use as my avatar isn't a character that was created by Gardner Fox and Jack Burnley for DC Comics in 1941. I think I can safely say that I've thrown more comics away from my personal collection than you've read. :lol:

Brooding doesn't equal "dark". Neither does "Introspective". Otherwise Spider-Man would be a "dark" hero because when I was reading Spider-Man his luck was shit and he was ALWAYS reflecting on that while somehow dredging up enough will to continue slogging on doing the right thing. Quite frankly it was depressing.

And no one considered or considers him "dark". They consider Wolverine and the Punisher "dark".

At best Clark looks more introspective and contemplative in his formative years.....which is all that's really been shown of him in the trailers. So we'll have to wait and see how he is once he starts his Superman / Daily Planet career.

You've actually said that you hate this movie. Not "there's a pretty good chance I'll hate this movie" but "I hate this movie".

Let me give you an example of why you cannot claim this without seeing the movie. We'll flip "hate" to "love" here....

I love Wes Anderson movies. I own them all. He's got a new movie coming out called "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

Can I say "I love "The Grand Budapest Hotel" without having actually seen it?

No.

Can I say that based on my love of Wes Anderson's previous movies that there's a probability that I will also enjoy this movie?

Yes.

Is it possible that Wes Anderson will make a movie I'll dislike?

Yes.

Will I know that one way or the other without having seen it?

No.

The same applies for "hating" a movie.

To be honest I don't think you're much older than 13. Not an insult or anything, you just come off like an average teenager. Probably because you use "stupid" and "idiotic" in the same exact way most teenagers do, i.e. too much and in WTF? ways.

Nolan's movies are both successful and well regarded by both critics and audiences as more intelligent than most of the crap out there. So your comparison is off. It's like if I pointed out that Rush is a talented, successful band and well respected by their peers and you bringing up Justin Beiber to say that "popularity / success doesn't equal good".

They're not the same type of music makers, nor are Nolan and Bay the same type of movie makers.

Both Rush and Nolan are skilled at their craft and excel in it. Just because you don't enjoy their music / films doesn't mean they lack skill and talent. They have more than enough of both.

Once again....you not liking something or someone does not make them bad.

Exactly.

Calm down Cap'n. I've seen threads go out of control, this ain't it. As soon as some new pix or info comes out we'll all be talking about how crazy awesome it is. Well, almost all of us. :p

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't want to derail the thread anymore, but I had to respond. I get what you're saying about not being able to say you'll hate a movie before it comes out, but what I'm saying is that there is no chance I will ever like a Nolan movie. He doesn't have the ability to make a movie I will not despise. Its not a possibility. I know what kind of movies I like, and Nolan doesn't make them. He can't make them. He makes one type of movie, and its bad. I still think superman is going to be brooding constantly because thats Nolan's trademark, and probably the only way he knows how to have a protagonist act. There has not been one frame in all of the Superman trailers and clips that hasn't shown that its just another Nolan movie with a hero who broods all the time. I realise that a lot of people like that, but it didn't work for his Batman, and Superman should be just about the exact opposite of how Bale acted in the horrible Nolan movies. He doesn't brood, or as you said act "intospective". Thats not Superman. What happened to the alien hero who shows the best that people can be, without being a brooding idiot? In the end, Nolan didn't want to make a Superman movie. He wanted to make another Nolan brand deeply flawed and whiny superhero movie, and Superman just happened to be who he got to work with. The fact that he makes the giant spider Superman movie concept look amazing in comparison to his c$%p doesn't matter to him, he'll just pull in the money and move on to ruining something else. Best case scenario, he decides to do more "original" stuff and leaves superheroes alone. Maybe then we'll get a superhero movie worthy of not immediately being burned and forgotten.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think you're familiar with his body of work.

7. kirk55555

Ok, I'll give you that, the only non superhero movie of his I've seen is The Prestige. I guess I'll amend the comment to be

He makes one type of superhero movie (although, if the Prestige is any indication, alot of his problems aren't just for his superhero stuff

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Of course he isn't. The only other Nolan movie he's seen outside of the Dark Knight Trilogy is The Prestige.

9. kirk55555

Well, according to wikipedia, his "body of work", only counting movies that are out, is the batman trilogy, The Prestige, Following, Memento, Insomnia, and Inception. So, I've seen 4 of his 8 movies that are out. I seriously doubt any of those 4 movies would make me hate Nolan less.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Kind of a weird statement. Sure, he's made 3 superhero movies, but they were all a part of the exact same trilogy with the exact same superhero. Of course they're all going to be similar.

We really don't know yet what he is able to do with other superheroes.

I admit, though, that Nolan does seem to have a certain style, and The Prestige is easily one of my least favorite movies ever. So far for me, Nolan has been hit or miss.

11. Gojira

Nolan did not direct this movie!! Snyder did. From all accounts this is not a deeply flawed and whiny superhero movie. We are getting a heroic Superman more than you currently think.

12. kirk55555

This is an honest question.

Why do people think the director has more influence than the producers and writers combined?

I mean, Snyder I don't really have an opinion on, but I'm pretty sure that one guy, as important as the director is, can't beat out all of the producers and writers for who is the biggest influence on the movie (thats assuming he doesn't go along with Nolan's style, which he probably does because he probably wouldn't be the director is he didn't go along with Nolan). Even if he had a vision for the movie that was kuch different than Nolan's brooding whiner Superman, he's up against a whole bunch of people who are basically Nolan's minions, so regardless of the director, this is a Nolan movie.

13. Gojira

Directors have a lot more say than you are given them credit for. Why give directors Academy Awards if they are nothing more than the producer's "yes men?"

The truth is your mind is as closed as a 10,000 pound steel door. You hate Nolan with a such a passion nothing made on this earth can pry that concrete fortified mind open that will allow you to see the movie objectively.

You will see this movie with an attitude of confirmation bias and then come back after you rent it from the library and tell us how right you were and how awful it is.

So why bother to discuss it?

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Am I reading this correctly that you haven't seen Memento or Inception?

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It really depends. Some directors are hired to execute the producer's vision, some directors are given freedom, some directors even get final cut. In the "huge budget" film genre, producers tend to control directors a lot stronger.

16. Gojira

It also depneds on how big you are. Spielberg, Cameron, and many other big name directors usually have a lot of control over their films.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yes, it does, but let's keep talking about this movie, shall we?!

As for whether Nolan controlled Snyder, it has been said that Nolan was busy making (and later campaigning for) TDKR while Snyder started shooting MoS. Nolan also stated that he kept mostly out of it once pre-production was done, and that this was a Snyder movie.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very nice. And now I have a new desktop wallpaper.

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

They're really trying to downplay any yellow in that logo whatsoever.