"King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm interested in the movie, but I have to admit I've had mixed feelings on the trailers so far. I think they're going for a very interesting format in trying to make the music feel more realistic than it might seem in the theater setting, but going only by the trailers it doesn't have the same feel for me. It feels almost like some of the songs are only half sung and don't have the same emotional resonance. But the trailers are pretty short and that might not be the case with the full movie. I'm keeping an open mind. :)

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

They just did the first screenings in New York. Early reaction seems to be extremely enthusiastic. InContention.com's Kris Tapley, Fandango's Dave Karger, and blogger/noted musical theatre enthusiast Nathaniel Rogers all loved it.

3. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Awesome. I really can't wait to see it. Thanks for the links.

This thread has been alive for over a year.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the winter release I'm most interested in, even more so than Hobbit and Django.

5. Vanyel

A Few clips:

Valjean's Release:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WSysB5vKM[/yt]

At the End of Day:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwyCp6ah6U[/yt]

Who Am I
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx7K42uyrts[/yt]

A Heart Full of Love
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFr56GR1mo[/yt]

On My Own
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvzLZIiD5TU[/yt]

6. CaptainCanada

The difference in the actors' approaches is kind of interesting. Crowe and Barks are pretty much singing like they were on stage (Barks a bit less so), whereas Jackman and Hathaway especially are pretty heavy on sing-talking.

"At the End of the Day" is the standout sequence there, I think.

I like the realistic look overall, though I'm not really sure how they're going to make "A Little Fall of Rain" work in this aesthetic.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Wow. Crowe is not awful, but he is ... not good.

8. Pthalo BlueMoon

Pthalo BlueMoon Commodore Commodore

I, for one, am so glad it's not merely the stage musical put on film. The actors' interpretations are more intimate and personal, without the broad constraints of live theater. I think it's going to be phenomenal!

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It is a pleasant surprise to see you posting, Pthalo BlueMoon. Hope you will be staying around.

10. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I had the same reaction. He feels really forced, especially when you put him against Jackman and Hathaway.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

New clips. Yay!

Some thoughts:
    * Javert's lines after Valjean says 'Yes, it means I'm free' have been completely changed, and I'm curious as to what the motivation behind said change was and who, exactly, generated the new material; I'm also not seeing where this criticism of Russell Crowe's performance is coming from

* In the musical, there's more emphasis usually placed on Fantine's line 'what's the matter with that', but I like the more subdued approach that Hathaway brings when she says that line; it's almost as if she's trying to avoid breaking into tears

* There's an adorable awkwardness to A Heart Full of Love that I don't remember picking up on in any of the other renditions of the song that I've heard; that might be due to Seyfried and Redmayne's performances, or it might be due to the choreography and direction, but whatever the reason is, I like it

* I've heard Samantha Barks perform On My Own before, but it seems to me as if she's brought a more vulnerable approach to the song this time out, particularly when she says 'and he has found me', which I find really neat because it adds more pathos to the song

12. CaptainCanada

I would guess they thought the "yellow ticket of leave" wouldn't really be clear to people unfamiliar with the mid-19th century French penal system.

13. DigificWriter

^ This is the first adaptation of the musical that I'm aware of not to include the original lines, so I'm doubtful that worries about people being confused motivated the change, which is why I'm curious in the first place as to why the lines were changed.

14. CaptainCanada

What earlier adaptations of the musical? This is the first film.

15. DigificWriter

^ Okay, 'adaptation' was the wrong word to use; I should've used 'iteration'.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even the largest of stage musicals are by definition aimed at a smaller, more affluent, and better-educated audience than most films. This adaptation seems to be aiming for a wide, mainstream audience, so I wouldn't be surprised if other aspects were altered for clarity.

17. Vanyel

The lyrics to some of the less known songs have been changed or eliminated over the years. When I first saw the musical in London, it had Little People as a full song, then a later touring version back home in Texas, had the song eliminated about 5 years later leaving only the bit of Little People sung when Gavroche exposes Javert. Also The Finale has some minor line changes between Cosette and Vajean compared from the stage version and the 10th Anniversary concert. I've also noticed changes in One Day More, again minor changes but noticeable if you have been listening to the Original London Cast Recording.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hugh sang Happy Birthday to Amanda Seyfried and even did a lap dance

http://www.indiewire.com/article/wa...-seyfried-at-les-miserables-nyc-dinner-video#

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video of Hugh singing Happy Birthday to Amanda:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/wa...a-seyfried-at-les-miserables-nyc-dinner-video

Soundtrack listing. Can't wait to hear #5 fully!

[​IMG]

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the musical in London in 1987 (and Phantom 2 months after it opened in 1986). There have been changes in the lyrics over time, as I noticed in the 10th and 25th anniversary versions. Not a big deal to me. A reason was found to change things. And yes, Gavroche's "Little People" ha shad more changes. Maybe it was determined that it slowed the pace too much right then, and that outweighed the need for character background.

As for performances, anyone watching the anniversary DVDs will see differences in style. Each performer gets to, and needs to, put himself into the role to make it his own. I don't have a problem with Crowe's performance; he's an actor known for giving his all. This is his, and the director's, version. I personally enjoy different interpretations. And Javert's supposed to be rigid, especially at the beginning--only someone that stiff will become obsessed with Valjean and then have the fall he has when his rigid rules are upended.

I've read that, since the actors didn't have to sing to each the last row, and were singing on set, they got to put more emotion in.

I am SO looking forward to this, but Hubby is working Christmas Day, so we'll have to wait.

20. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the musical in London last January, and I'm really excited for the movie!

IMDB tells me it's not going to be released here in Norway until the 18th of January. . . , I wish I could see it for Christmas too :D