Which RED SHIRTS had the shortest & longest career?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Tracy, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

And speaking of "Off-ing the Red Shirts",... In a single episode, who do you think had the shortest "career" on-board the good ship Enterprise?,... and who had the longest?

Making it to the closing credits does not count,... the Red Shirt in question had to end up, as the saying goes; "dead,... Dead,... DEAD!!!" - Trelane

2. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

Scottie would be at least a contender for longest career.

Yeah, I know, NOT Security - but he always wore a red shirt and (going by the Tech Manual), his uniform insignia was the same as the disposables anyhow. He even got to die once - but got better.

3. Captain Tracy

7THSEASLORD & FOXHOT - I should have written the question better,... my bad,....

What I meant was this: from FADE-IN, start the stop-watch,... which RED SHIRT bites it in _____ seconds flat = shortest career; and the one who lasts ________ seconds from the FADE-OUT = longest career,.. but they cannot survive the episode,.... short of like that joke about "How long can a red shirt last on an episode of Star Trek.

I totally screwed up the question, sorry,.. TAKE #2 LOL!

[​IMG]

GARROVICK: Sir, I respecfully request you put me in for consideration on this current thread about RED SHIRT LIFESPAN

KIRK: Sorry, Garrovick, I,... can't,... do that,... you survived,... the episode,... you don't... Qualify,... unfortunatly

GARROVICK: Sir, do mean it is unfortunate I don't Qualify, or it's unfortunate I survived the Vampire Cloud?

KIRK: Huh?!?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The longest-serving redshirts we probably know about are Commodores Stone and Stocker. Though how Stocker survived his first landing party is beyond me ...

Dakota Smith

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though Stone, as a former starship captain, likely wasn't a redshirt his whole career.

As for security officers, Giotto had survived long enough to become a lieutenant commander (or commander, if you go by his insignia).

Justin

6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

'OBSESSION' would be one of them, for sure... 'MIRROR,MIRROR'' perhaps? (3 killed by the Tantalus field, 2 by phaser fire)

As for Marple, isn't it heavily implied he was killed when he is clubbed to the ground, McCoy comes over to examine him and does nothing to revive him. When the fight with the villagers is over, Kirk tosses a confiscated club to the ground and says : ''They (meaning the villagers) have learned to kill!'' (or was it Spock?)

7. Captain Tracy

[​IMG]

STONE: Captain Kirk, Mr. DAKOTA want to know if I win,..?

KIRK: Not only don't you win,... Commodore, you don't even qualify,... as you didn't DIE

STONE: Couldn't we just 'look the other way?,... you know 'Sweep it under the rug,... it's done all the time

KIRK: NO,.. you have to be DEAD,.. you know,.. KILLED DURING THE EPISODE,...

STONE: But DAKOTA is really intelligent,... he MUST know the difference between the living and the dead ?!!? I could hire COGLEY,... it worked for you.

KIRK: Forget it Commodore,... and tell your buddy STOCKER, he didn't DIE in his episode either,... get off it mister.

STONE: Daaammnnn.

8. Captain Tracy

[​IMG]

SPOCK: Commodore, before you embark on an interrogative oratory regarding your eligibility, may I remind you sir, contrary to what you have inferred by Mr. DAKOTAS hypothesis,... you also, survived your episode and therefore are not eligible for potential candidacy.

STOCKER: ?!? What??!!!,... excuse me,... SPOCK,... Did you just call me fat??!!!

SPOCK: I assure you Commodore,... I did not.

STOCKER: I think you did.

[​IMG]

GIOTTO: Giotto to Enterprise,...

UHURA: Go ahead Giotto.

GIOTTO: Lt,... can someone check and see if I am alive?

UHURA: WHAT?!?!?

GIOTTO: What are you complaining for,... geeze!,... all you do is open the hailing frequencies, ...and you always bitch about nothing to do,.. look,... just find out if I died, or am I alive!!,.. DAMN,... I knew this would happen once they let the broads on-board.

UHURA: I'll be seeing you when you get back here, mister.

[​IMG]

9. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galloway lasts for quite a while before biting the dust in The Omega Glory.

10. Bixby

The Changeling with 2 sets of 2 security guys, vaporized by Nomad. Would that be 5 redshirts if we count Scotty among the ones killed, even though Nomad revives him?

11. Captain Tracy

Hmmm, great question FOXHOT, okay going just off the top of my head:

Absolute highest Red Shirts killed Ha Ha!!!! It's a trick question,.... as the entire crews (and that means ALOT of RED laundry) of the Intrepid, the Constellation, the Exeter, the Defiant, and the Excalibur all suffered the loss of every single red shirt on-board,.. along with all blue & gold shirts,...

SO IT IS A 5 WAY TIE FOR MOST NUMBER OF RED SHIRTS KILLED IN A SINGLE EPISODE- TRICK QUESTION!!!

OTHER 4 Deader: damn,... oh hell,.. Day of the Dove

aarrrggghh,... Dove cant be right.

FOXHOT - what about MYKO's answer about Galloway in OMEGA,.. I would think he lasted a good long time, but maybe only to the end of ACT II or possibly middle of ACT III,... OPTNION?

12. Captain Tracy

FOXHOT - Yep, it's true, I was the trigger man on the Galloway job. See he was getting to be a problem on the set, pushing GR for billing and a raise, having been used so much, you get the picture,... heh heh heh,... pretty good shot, eh?!

Congrats to BIXBY on his call with NOMAD in the CHANGELING.

No good with the 5 WAY TIE answer huh?,... damn!!,... oh well,... I thought I was really onto something,.. this happens to me a lot,...Like the time I was on OMEGA IV, and I thought I found the Fountain of Youth,... you know the Secret To Immortality,... see what happened was,... they had this,.. oh,.. skip it.

Nice buzzer by the way. LOL!!! Somehow I get the distinct impression you enjoyed typing that waaaay more than would be deemed healthy. LOL!!!!

STOCKER,... yep, he's got some buried self-image issues to deal with to be sure LOL!

Okay FOXHOT - I don't think this answer is any good either, but he goes,... DEVIL IN THE DARK,... nope some of those guys weren't Red Shirts, they were Janus V miners,... look, I am no good at this,... you are talking to a guy who deals with death on a wholesale level,... 430 fellow crewmen,... a small army of Yangs,... you know, I think big man,... big, Big, BIG!!!

13. Captain Tracy

Damn,... Great question!

14. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

None of whom, it should also be noted, were redshirts.

15. Captain Tracy

7THSEALORD - LOL!!!! SO TRUE!!! Of course your brilliant mind comes out with this,... I could have made money on that bet!!!

Okay, FOXHOT, it's your baby,... is the term RED SHIRT a job description,... or a fashion qualifier??

LOL!!!! TOUCHE' 7THSEALORD !!

16. Captain Tracy

FOXHOT - So,.... where do you stand on 7THSEALORDS answer?

I thought my answer about including the Red Shirts from other Starships in the same episode was not just right, but 'Clever' as well,.. but I live with your ruling,.. no complaints.

You have to make the call. Is he correct, or just being 'clever'?

17. Captain Tracy

FOXHOT - I hear you on the "no tricks after we reach the ship' LOL!

I already have a good estimate on that number as well, but I will hold back my answer until others have had a go with Captain Quiz-Master LOL!

However, I will only give them just 24 "of their Earth-Type hours", before I answer.

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And you shouldn't. "Redshirt" is like a brand name now. It doesn't HAVE to be a dude in a red shirt, just a minor background guy whose only job in the episode is to get killed. He's "Ensign Ricky" or "Lt. Lipshitz." The odd man out, the one guy who isn't Kirk Spock or McCoy in the landing party. Latimer and Gaetano in G7 can be classified as "redshirts" even though they wore gold.

Unless you're being really strict.

19. Captain Tracy

SSOSMCIN - Well here is thing,... I hear you and your reasoning, BUT it is FOXHOT's question, therefore only HE knows what he had in mind when he formed the question,... so we really can't argue with him.

And as TRELANE said: "IT"S MY GAME"

Speaking of which,.... now I wonder,... you know,... I have never seen FOXHOT and TRELANE,.. in the same place, at the same time,... hhhhmmmm,... could there be a connection???

"Lt. LIPSCHITZ" ?!?!?! oh my,... :guffaw:

20. Bixby

Since we're discussing ''redshirts'' in this thread: in the episode ''ARENA'', Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down to Cestus III with crewmen Lang, Kelowitz and O'Herlihy who are identified as ''tactical'' officers. That and how they are deployed on the battlefield indicates them to be standard security officers, right?

Except each of them wears a different-coloured tunic (Kelowitz=blue, Lang=gold, O'Herlihy=red), oddly enough. It could be that ARENA was still early enough in the first season that security had not been yet assigned red as a default colour, or basically that the production crew wanted a mix of uniform colours to simplify actor recognition.

Unless there's a whole other reason...