Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by explodingmuffin, May 20, 2009.

1. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't consider myself a trekkie, more like a slightly-more-enthusiastic-than-average fan with way too much free time to read forums and watch DVDs. I've never even been to a convention :borg:

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet, you're posting on a Star Trek message board to debate the merits of the Trekkie/Trekker/casual fan labels.

Welcome to the club. :D

3. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe I should stop denying it and embrace my inner trekkie :(

4. Tentacle

Tentacle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ohhh i took that test and here is what i got

11-16 Correct:
    You are a Trekkie! Congratulations would be given, but none are required. You are already too cool for internet social affirmation. So crack open a bottle of Aldeberran whisky and a plate of Racht, pop in your favorite Trek DVD and live the life of the righteous!

But then I ask the question, is star trek merely trivia or cannon to you?
    If so you have sadly miss the point.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure I can.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, you can, but will you shall?

...wait... :shifty:

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

This, for me, is the answer. It's actually quite simple. :techman:

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh please. Are you actually saying that old trek fans who liked the movie were somehow shallow compared old trek fans who disliked it?

Yes I have spent 32 years liking Trek for cosmetic reasons, LOL

9. Tentacle

Well lets examine that shall we?
    What did you like about the old trek?
    And was it in this movie?

10. teacake

Really I have no desire to turn this thread into a soapbox for you to crap all over the movie. I have even less desire to read your crapping all over fans of that movie.

This is what makes the word "trekkie" a bad thing, dividing yourself from fans and denigrating them purely because they liked some part of this enormous franchise that you didn't.

And OP, I understand where you are at, but really it's okay to share stuff that is special to you with the masses. Who knows one of those drooling anime girls might actually end up a big time Trek fan and you will be inviting her up to your room to watch DS9 dvds.

In high school (I'm assuming you are in high school) many people are fans of stuff whether it is anime, Trek, Star Wars, WWF.. but only a few of these people go on to pursue fandom past high school. Fandom of anything. IME those fandom people are highly likely to expand their realms of fandom and educate themselves in other universes. You have no way of telling which of these drooling anime girls will actually spend her young adulthood and beyond pursueing fandom. Yes the majority will drop it overnight but not all. So, you never know, there could be someone in that group who has it in her to want more Trek after seeing this film. If you are someone who owns lots of Trek you could be the one to open her mind! LOL

11. Tentacle

awww so a trekkie is someone who denigrates other fans? Since when did the reversal of the roles happened?
    If that were the case then i shouldnt have the broken ribs in highschool.

I suspect you were never picked on during your youth?

And just for your record I have never said that liking trek for all the "other reasons" (which you have failed to clarify what they are) is somehow a negative.

I have been openminded towards those that like the movie. And would love to read why they like it so much beyond the simplist version of its sooo gooodd, and well acted.

This is more I can say about your inability to see the failings of this movie. And a refusal to even investigate why you love this movie so.

12. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well see there's the thing about internet personality tests. It's just a rough indicator. If you want a real assessment, it will have to be a longer test administered by a licensed psychologist. But I could think of worse things to spend your doctoral thesis doing!

You make a good point, Tentacle! Perhaps it is also a lifestyle choice and not just a measure of your viewing habits?

I'd write more about it but I'm waiting for that grant to come in....

13. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks to the media Trekkie for me has always been associated with the more hardcore fan base, the ones that would dress up as Klingons for a day at the beach and it seems if you tell other people you are a trekkie one of their first questions would be if you dress up like a Klingon/Starfleet officer. I tend to even say when I identify myself as a Trekkie that I add "I don't dress up as a Klingon/Romulan/etc".

I don't have any problems with any fan of the show using the term trekkie to decide themselves whether they just like the new movie or if they have turned their flat in England into a TNG era themed starship with transporter pad.

14. Vykan12

Vykan12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Someone who learns to speak Klingon and has a borg costume :P

15. teacake

Dude, really, why are you so antagonistic?

I have "investigated" why I love this movie in countless threads. Why are you demanding I investigate and clarify for YOU why I liked the movie?

Your first sentence makes no sense, that is not what I said at all. Maybe you don't see how you come across.

16. teacake

I don't have a problem with anyone using it either. Really, this isn't a religious denomination where folks have to agree on every jot and tiddle before they can use the name.

Yes I enjoyed using the term when it was super dorky, but if it morphs into something else that's fine.

17. Tentacle

If I come across as antagonistic and you wonder why you feel the need to castrate me. I suggest you read Plato's "Allegory of the cave" .

Would you care to point me to a thread where that is true? I say that without sarcasm, because I am interested in reading a concrete point of why this movie is so great. Beyond the flashy graphics.

If you do not understand why I feel its a complete reversal for someone to claim that trekkies are the bullies of all those jocks that now like this movie.
    You have obviously not been picked on as a kid for being nerdy.

But I do not wish to hijack this thread from the OP. I think he have some valid points to raise.

I can identify with him, because I was picked on as a kid. And now it seems those jocks that bullied me call themself trekkies. All of those jocks seems so willing to jump on the cool bandwagon. Where were they when trek wasnt cool?
    Now it seems that the word trekkies have lost its stigma, this invalidates all the suffering a nerdy child goes through, and still held his/her head high claiming to be a trekkie.

Trek had been dumb down, make no mistake about that.
    And now the dumb down masses that like the nu-trek, is making fun of the trekkies that like it for intelletual reason.
    *flash back of the highschool beatings come to mind* The irony is that only this time its done by self proclaimed trekkies.

18. teacake

I think you mean "castigate". Unless you are taking this really really seriously.

19. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

A note to everyone (trekkies, trekkers, casual fans, newbies, old farts like me) to keep personal comments and attacks OUT of this thread.

20. JTK2099

JTK2099 Lieutenant Red Shirt

True Dat! :lol: