Fiction eBook from Erdmann & Block!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to paulablock's and Terry J Erdmann's Facebook pages today, they have been approved to write their first "Star Trek" fiction eBook! Due 2014.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool. I'm curious to see they handle fiction after all of the years of only doing non-fic.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paula wrote some Trek fanfic back in the fanzine era, although I don't believe I've read any of it.

4. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Could be cool. Any indication of the time period, crew, era?

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we're going to back to the e-books being an entry point for new writers like it seemed to be during SCE?

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

That works for me. I just hope the whiners (I want this eBook in print now) will not whine about these eBooks.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, they aren't elaborating yet. Links to Paula's famous fanfic are in the 2014 Schedule thread.

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Block has written for Star Trek before, the short story "The Girl Who Controlled Gene Kelly's Feet" in the first Strange New Worlds release.

9. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Even though I get nearly all my non Trek books by Kindle now, I still get all my Trek books in print if it's an option, but will get the ebook exclusives without complaining. I have such a large collection of Trek books in print I like keeping getting them that way, and ridiculous as it is, it's quite a bit cheaper most of the time to get them in print that ebook!

10. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

I get all of them on my Kindle now, but never on the release date, because usually the price comes down to something at least a little more reasonable within a few days.

11. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

OK, I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so please forgive my ignorance, but I don't believe I've ever heard of them. Could someone give some examples of their better known works?

Thanks.

- Byron

EDITED: OK. I see they're probably best known for the Trek 365 books.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'd say they're best known for the DS9 Companion, which is the best and most in-depth of the series-companion books.

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

In your not so humble opinion don't you mean.

I personally think the Voyager Companion is light years ahead of all the others. :p

14. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

You're joking right? All I remember from the VOY Companion is the author noting the episodes where a shuttlecraft was blown up.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you want a listing of facts and details about the contents of the episodes, then The Voyager Companion covered them very well, but it suffered from a lack of behind-the-scenes analysis. The TNG one had a decent mix of episode overviews and background trivia. But Erdmann had a level of ongoing, firsthand access to the production unequalled by any Trek chronicler since Stephen E. Whitfield when he wrote The Making of Star Trek, and unlike that book it covers the entire run of the series. So it's true that "best" is a matter of opinion, but it is indisputably the most in-depth of the companion books.

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yes. I thought it was so bad I sold it after owning it a month. The DS9 one in comparison and the TNG one to a lesser extent I reread every once in a while.