I could fix it if I just had the part!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Apr 20, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am full of domestic rage, and it is all directed at my dryer.

The drum stopped spinning. After some thorough investigation, I have learned that it needs a new belt and idler pulley. All of this I learned this afternoon.

What I also learned this afternoon is that you can't buy these parts anywhere. This should be one of the easiest DIY projects ever, but I can't do it because I can't get a hold of new parts unless I order them online.

I went to several hardware/appliance stores, and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. "Of course we don't sell those things, you fool! What were you thinking?"

And then an old man told me to look in the phone book for a company that doesn't exist anymore. :lol:

And yes, I know I can air dry my clothes. That is not the point.

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

HA-Ha!! I'm in that same boat except the heating element on mine is out. And the Dryer is ancient compared to what is out. Anywho, there's a few closeout outlets in the area.

If there are some in your area, they might be able to help. Or sale you one cheap.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So just buy it online. What, a week to ship at most?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Also not the point.

It was just an anecdote about my day intended to spur conversation about DIY/home repair projects.

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't you have any local appliance repair places that sell parts? They usually have the common stuff in stock. I needed a new transmission for our washer a couple of months ago. I look up a part number online, make a couple of phone calls to check prices, stop by on my way home from work and before dinner the washer's humming with a new trans. It was $180, but the old one lasted 13 years and the washer is in fine shape otherwise, I expect it will go on another five years at least.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Shouldn't this be in the "first world problems" thread?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You need to become a hoarder. Next time you see your model of dryer on the side of the road for the hard trash you scoop it up and stack it in your garage so you will always have parts.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

get some chains and with minimal welding, rig it up to an old bicycle. so you can get sweaty as your clothes dry.

9. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't bother with local places unless I know for sure they will have what I need, which is not as often as I would like. It's much easier, faster, costs less in gas, not to mention frustration, to find a part number myself and buy the part online.

The hard part is diagnosing the problem and having the skills and tools to do the repair.

I've found parts for my 30+ year old oven on ebay, parts for an ancient riding lawn mower several states away, garage door parts a few towns over, etc. Even Amazon has listed some obscure stuff I needed in a pinch.

The days of driving all over town for parts are long gone.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I replied to your anecdote. That's called a conversation. If you want more interesting replies from me than post less boring anecdotes.

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

FWIW, I have a Whirlpool washer/dryer set for sale... cheap. I inherited a new Whirlpool Cabrio set from my dad. The other set is gathering dust in my garage.:techman:

Reader's Digest published a book for DIY over 30 years ago. I purchased it new and it was a Godsend. Using that book, I learned to fix mowers, washers, dryers, cars and more. Since I was just out of college and broke, it came to be my best investment. I am sure most of the information is outdated now, but for older items it is still useful.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

My thoughts exactly.

13. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A while back my dryer started sounding like a cross between a stuck pig and a Martian war machine. I was able to locate the exact parts you're talking about at a "appliance service" place that turned out to be within walking distance of my home. For about $20 and a couple of days of perspiration I was able to effect a repair that would have probably cost more than replacing the unit outright had it been done by a "professional". Domestic trauquility restored. I've also replaced the ignitor a couple of times. Bottom line, if the guys who fix these things for a living can get the parts you can too. I don't know if you live in a city or in the boonies but look for appliace services rather than hardware or appliance stores. Of course, it might turn out that the parts aren't made anymore, like the fan for my dehumidifier, which I've also replaced twice and am listening to drone on even as I type this. Good luck.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since TrekBBS is an internet board, isn't everyone here having "first world problems"? Should the entire board be under the "First World Problems" thread? :rolleyes:

In short, if you are against this thread, why are you here posting in it?

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread topic:
    I agree that "appliance service" is the better place to look for such parts.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, I think you missed the point. Our comments were pointing to what we thought of the issue, not whether this thread should actually exist.:rolleyes:

16. Brefugee

Exactly.

I'm no way against the thread, nor the first world problems thread, I have a few things I've thought about sharing, but they're not that big a problem, so meh! I just feel that as the first world problems thread exists and the fact that the OP whinged about the course of the thread and how he wanted it to be different and seemingly similar to the other thread they didn't make, they should have thrown it in there.

As for someone who doesn't have a tumble dryer in his new flat though, I have no sympathy for the OPs problem.

Oh and an aside, are you claiming that no one in the less developed world has access to the internet?

17. teacake

I thought this thread was about the OP flexing his fix-it muscles for us. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I fixed my washing machine once, I FIXED IT FROM INSTRUCTIONS ON THE INTERNET AND I FELT AS A GOD. Yeah.

18. Brefugee

^^ Maybe that was the intention.

I once fixed my old lap tops keyboard by replacing it with another by buying the replacement on ebay and then following online instructions.

19. teacake

I have googled "how to fix your toilet" like 10 times and followed the instructions. I have always lived in ancient houses with ancient plumbing. I once lived in a house with a header tank and had to google that, yes this is a simple device but things like gravity confuse me.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've actually learned how to fix a bunch of things myself thanks to the internet, things that lesser mortals would have called a repairman about.