Game of Thrones 3.2 - "Dark Wings, Dark Words" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 7, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

14.8%
  2. Above average

59.3%
  3. Average

25.9%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Dark Wings, Dark Words", airing on the 7th April on HBO and on the 8th April on Sky Atlantic.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYgpEMlcQgc&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Good Thrones - yay for Diana Rigg! - though I must say, the Bolton men are fucked: narrow bridge, no room to use their numbers to their advantage, and those horses will make a nice wall to keep the reinforcements at bay. Brienne and Jaime won't even need to break a sweat.

3. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Some of it was quite good, but that trainwreck of a Cat scene... :guffaw:

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Good episode. Diana Rigg was awesome and it was great to see Thomas Sangster and Mackenzie Crook show up on the show.

I'm a new fan having only recently watched the entirety of the show and only on the second book, but every episode is a thrill for me.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was pretty blatant pandering to some of the franchise's dumber fans who can't appreciate the different characters' legitimate points of view in the novel.

I'm happy that Sansa (my favourite) looks to have an actual ongoing plot this year, after last season pretty much excised the character's book through-line.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I must admit, I was quite satisfied when Theon was getting tortured. :)

The actor is great in that he makes him so unlikeable.

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted average. A bit of a slow episode, mainly a whole lot of setup for storylines to come.

Also, there was a severe lack of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" during the Queen of Thorns scene. :lol: When I saw George R.R. Martin at a local bookstore back when he was promoting ASoS in 2000, that was the chapter he read aloud. :)

In addition to warging, another of Bran's superpowers is apparently rapid aging. ;)

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crazy, I didn't even recognize that's who it was. Then again, not sure I've ever seen her in anything but The Avengers.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

All of the Stark kids (apart from the adult Robb and Jon, obviously) have that issue. Bran's growth has become really noticeable this season. Sansa supposedly being pre-menstrual last season was absurd, because she looked about 18 (though the actress was only 15 at the time of filming), and the "little dove" is almost six feet tall (taller than anyone else in King's Landing, at this point, since the Hound left). We're past the point of Arya really making an effort to pretend to be a boy, at least.

10. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely you've seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, yes.

12. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She was the only Bond girl to ever actually marry Bond and get him to retire.

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Poor Bran will be about six foot tall next year. Might be time to recast.

14. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Another good job. The cat scene..well....the less said the better...but Diana Riggs nailed her scenes

15. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I thought that perhaps Diana Rigg's low opinion of men came from her experience with her lowlife brother Nicky, and the time he tried to steal the Baseball Diamond.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it a lot, nice to see the Reeds and Thoros... hopefully we'll get the flaming sword yet.

Dame Diana was awesome, of course.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

We won't be seeing him standing very often, so I don't imagine that this is going to be a big problem. Anyway, as he was standing in a dream to begin with, perhaps this is simply how he sees himself.

I voted Above Average but all in all, I enjoyed this more than last week. The Cat scene was certainly...well, not in keeping with how I've always viewed her thinking and actions. It was hard to reconcile with the 'it should have been you' comment to Jon when she last saw him at Bran's bedside - though one could perhaps rationalise it as her wishing that her prayers for baby Jon were instead proving effective for Bran.

What made the ep for me was seeing that little shit Theon getting tortured, even if he wasn't being flayed. Was that a sort of bamboo-under-the-fingernails torture at first ('I want to do this')? His fingers looked in good enough shape when we next saw him. And presumably they were squeezing/crushing his feet in that box?

Those who have read the fifth book will have an idea how his escape is going to go and who his rescuer is.

Loved also the Jamie/Brienne scenes and those with Arya and the Brotherhood, not to mention the Hound. Paul Kaye is a lot of fun, even if he's radically different from how I imagined the character on the page. I'm sure those who know where those storylines are going are looking forward to the next few episodes.

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Dude, spoilers! Don't mention anything about Theon in the future.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^That wasn't really a spoiler, was it? The character with him promised to help him escape. All I said is we know how it will go. I didn't say if it would go well, badly or indifferent!

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's best to err on the side of caution and not mention any future events, even obliquely. That's especially true this season. There's always the spoiler thread for further discussion.

This episode was just average by Game of Thrones standards in my opinion. I enjoyed the introduction of the new characters, but this was another table-setting episode and one that moved a bit slower than the season premiere and didn't have the wow factor of some of the premiere's scenes. It was still an enjoyable episode, though.