Ninja Turtles CGI cartoon on Nickelodeon this Fall

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

This show was originally announced months ago, but there's now finally a trailer. The trailer will premiere on TV during the season finale of The Legend of Korra on Saturday, but you can see it online now at Entertainment Weekly:

Trailer at Entertainment Weekly

Not too keen on the animation style, but I might be able to live with it if the show is good enough.

Cast:

Jason Biggs as Leonardo
    Sean Astin as Raphael
    Greg Cipes as Michelangelo
    Rob Paulsen as Donatello

Never thought Paulsen would be voicing a Turtle again, though it's a different one this time.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought that sounded like Cipes.

I'm not impressed. The animation looks very crude and cheap, and it seems to be trying to be more like the goofy '80s cartoon than the smarter '00s version.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I on the other hand am very impressed! Especially the remix of the classic Turtles theme. I don't know if I'm sold on Astin as Rapheal though.

4. Christopher

He sounds like a blend of the voice of Rob Paulsen's Raphael with the tough-guy attitude of all the other screen Raphaels. I wonder why they didn't just give Paulsen his old role back, if that was what they were going for. He can certainly do an angry/tough characterization.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps because Sean Astin is a bigger star?

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks like the cheap low-grade animation you'd see in cartoons in the late 90's. Shit today's "Word World" has better CGI animation than it looks like this thing will have. Voice work doesn't inspire much hope either but the thing isn't likely designed to catch on to old fans of the turtles and more likely latch on to a new generation of young fans, which I'm sure it will easily do.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not terribly impressed especially with the animation. They could do so much better in that department. I was almost wishing this was only a prototype that they would end up refining later on. But if that's the real deal, yikes.

8. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait...aren't they supposed to be aliens?

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

You're thinking of the upcoming live-action movie. This thread is about the upcoming CGI cartoon show.

ETA: Wait, were you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell from text without a smiley. :shifty:

10. Trekker4747

And the movie is being postponed with all of the pre-production staff having been laid off.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited for this, despite the animation. While that is always an aspect of an CGI show that influences a potential watching decision, everything I've heard and seen about this project excites me. The action toys from the line coming later this year look fantastic as well! I'll be giving this a chance.

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    michelangelo rules!

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's some crude animation.

14. Christopher

They showed the promo during commercials in The Legend of Korra last night, and the animation looks a little better there than it did in the low-resolution online video. It's still very cartoony, though, and the designs are an acquired taste.

15. Admiral_Young

It's supposed to look cartoony. I believe that they're trying to recapture the tone of the original cartoon with this reboot.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm not feeling the hate.

They're trying to recapture the charm of the 80s cartoon and I think they succeeded.

While I'd love to see someone really attempt to do something with the original comic as much as everyone else, I still think the old cartoon has it's own brand of flavor.

17. Christopher

The 2000 series was pretty faithful to the original comic -- not quite as dark and violent, of course, but closer to its concepts and characters than any other version and adapting a lot of its storylines. (At least, up until they revamped it for the last two seasons and made it more kid-friendly.)

As for the '80s series, I felt it followed a downward curve. The best episode they had was the very first one. Then the rest of the original 5-episode miniseries was the next-best stuff they did, then the remaining 8 episodes of the first season weren't quite as good as that, then the first syndicated season wasn't as good as that, and so on, progressively downhill. Maybe that last season where they brought in a new villain and got more serious again was better than the previous one, but I'd mostly given up watching by then.

18. Admiral_Young

The show's theme song and opening titles have been revealed. This very much harkens back to the original cartoon and pretty much homages the originals theme song IMO. I quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz1USfhhzmk

19. Trekker4747

Sooo.... It was written as a shitty rap from 1996?

20. Admiral_Young

Just finished watching the pilot episode on YTV...and I thought it was really good. If you keep in mind that this is made for kids, you'll do fine. Long time fans will be reminded of the classic Turtles series, and I really dug the animation. It reminded me of the "TMNT" movie. I'll be following this.