So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Currently reading:
    Herrscher des Mars (Maddrax #357)
    TNG: Diplomatic Implausibility - as part of my Klingon reading, a followup to Kahless and The Left Hand of Destiny, and leading into I.K.S. Gorkon/Klingon Empire.

Because I've recently finished DS9 Season 9 and nudged by The Crimson Shadow, The Never-Ending Sacrifice moved up on my to-read pile - which still consists of dozens, maybe hundreds of novels... :cardie:

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I finished up Book 1 of Daffyd Ab Hugh's Rebels trilogy. I just feel that his characterizations and dialogue are always over the top to the point of being cartoonish. I will attempt to solider throught the last two books. I was hoping the story of Kira working for Kai Winn on DS9 would be the main story but that wasn't the case. I'm also not understanding the cover of the book as it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the story I just read.

Moving on to Voyager #5 Incident at Arbuk which I have really enjoyed so far. I am also working in a few episode novelizations from Star Trek 6 by James Blish.

3. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Just finished 'The Conquering Sword of Conan', which was fantastic. Actually, all the Conan books are amazing. "Beyond the Black River" was a great story. I'm really looking forward to another movie now.

Now reading 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers'.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I assume it's a representation of the young Winn and her resistance colleagues during the Occupation.

5. Use of Time

Well that is what I expected when I started the book and they did have a brief narrative about Kai Winn and her relationship with an up and coming Gul. I'm hoping that story will be fleshed out more in the next two books.

I guess I didn't expect the bulk of the book to center around the Starfleet crew on some planet in the Gamma Quadrant.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started New Frontier: Gateways- Cold Wars. I hope its good cuz its pretty long.

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Zilverdoorn from Raymond E. Feist.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recently started "Einstein must die" by Chris Kohout.

It's an alternative history involving
    a war between the UK and the US, Zeppelins armed with nuclear bombs, giant tanks, Redcoats. Main characters include Nikola Tesla and Edison

So far it's interesting:)

9. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recall it being one of the best New Frontier novels.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. I loved it.

Finally got The Crimson Shadow in, so..... goodbye! :D

11. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just finished Unity by S.D. Perry - so good! I was very pleased with how the storylines of the DS9 novels came together. I'm happily zipping through the "World of Ds9" books. They're easy reads. My plan is to read Warpath and then decide if I want to read the others. I've never been crazy about the Kira/Iliana Ghemor thing.

While I assumed I'd hop over and begin reading the Titan series, I may read the Terok Nor trilogy first. It sounds good and I can't get enough of those Cardassians!

12. Use of Time

Finished Serpents Among the Ruins by David R. George. Thank God somebody finally salvaged John Harriman's character. Great book.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually it was Peter David who did that in The Captain's Daughter (1995) and Enterprise Logs: "Shakedown" (2000). Serpents (2003) just took PAD's version of Harriman and expanded on it.

14. Use of Time

I've read PAD's The Captain's Daughter but all I remember was Chekov punching him. It has been awhile since I've read it. Never read "Shakedown" but I do like Harriman so I'll give it a try.

I liked the older version of Harriman in this book. He seemed like an intelligent and thoughtful officer and he also showed some serious "cojones" with that plan that resulted in the Tomed incident.

15. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

His actual turning around takes place in the book. After losing young Sulu so quickly after Kirk he falls apart, his Admiral father comes onboard and basically takes charge. The Admiral is a by-the-book, my-way-or-the-highway officer who is basically about to blow up the Excelsior for disobeying his orders and leave Sulu on a quarantined planet because he deserves it. Younger Harriman steps up at just the right moment and takes back control of the bridge, earning back the respect of his, and the Excelsior's, crew.

Like Christopher said, it's a good saving point for the character that really works with what happened on screen.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"Renegade" by Gene DeWeese.

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just published my review of Una McCormack's The Crimson Shadow. What a book! Liked it immensely.

Right now I'm doing a DS9 relaunch re-read; I'm currently on Mission Gamma, Book One: Twilight by David R. George III. Unfortunately, I had Goodreads set to post to Facebook. Therefore, most of my friends had the fact that I am reading "Twilight" show up on their news feeds. Sigh. No sparkly vampires in this one, thankfully!

18. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

You're in for a good time on the DS9 novels lots of great stuff! They're pretty good!

19. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed! I loved them a ton the first time through. There's a great deal I didn't remember, though. I forgot just how great they were!

20. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished up Vanguard with In Tempests Wake and then read Revelations and Dust. Now I'm about half way through The Crimson Shadow.

So far Crimson Shadow is a real page-turner. I'm loving the interaction between Picard and Garak. Overall I enjoyed Revelations and Dust, but large parts of the book left me wondering why we were spending so much time on these plot threads, that didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm guessing this is laying the groundwork for one of the other novels.

I liked the tidying up of some of Vanguard's plot threads in In Tempests Wake to set the stage for Paths of Disharmony. It would've been nice if we'd had a bit more of the vanguard characters, rather than predominantly the crew of the Enterprise, but overall I thought it was a good epilogue.