Could we have an alien Captain?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Yevetha, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now come on casting as not been that bad. Especially compared to other Scifi shows. Minorities (talking humans) do actually do stuff in Trek.

Battlestar: One minority of note and that character was orginally a black male.

Terra Nova: All the minorities who do anything are female, impossible to find a male who does something that matters

Stargate Universe: Two Asian Females and One Black Male, they got some decent stuff so pass.

Falling Skies: Minority Female love interest, black guy dies first trope in full effect, black male and asian male barely get lines.

So I protest the notion that Trek is not liberal in casting. Its easily in the Top 90% of SciFi related shows. Could it do better yes but so could all entertainment.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Nichelle Nichols, as Uhura, set the tone early on for the show.

3. miggo

miggo Cadet Newbie

Sjaddix, you're wrong.

4. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Explain it then. I have watched plenty of scifi and I just went through a list of recent scifi shows. Trek does pretty darn well in comparison. I don't see how that can be questionable.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent debate tactic. Do go on. I'm riveted.

6. BrownShatner

BrownShatner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2009's Romulans had some small rubber bumps, I guess, but for the most part they were going for the more natural facial-tattoo prison convict look. My guess is the next film's Klingons won't have crabshells glued onto their foreheads either.

7. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I say sure. :)
    MY own stories, not only is the captain not a human, but neither is about 90-95 percent of the crew.:bolian: :vulcan:

Check it out:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *bridge and uniforms might change, depending on the era I choose to go with.

As you can see:
    Vulcan captain, A Dalek first officer, an Andorian navigator, helm is an Orion, the doctor's an older black human, a green haired yeoman, and the red head's an alien I made up. And the rest of the crew's made up of a bunch of other aliens as well. Not exactly a run of the mill crew line up, but I think if the stories are good, and the characters are likeable, it can work just fine.:cool:

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to see an alien Captain leading the next series (if there ever is one). I would also love to see another woman take the centre seat. As well as think that someone of a different ethnic background would also be great.

So why not combine all three into one? So I give you:
    Captain T'Lar Hasan​

Already had a couple of thoughts on who I could see in the role. Either:

Laila Rouass
    [​IMG]

or

Indira Varma
    [​IMG]

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I could tell, JJ's Rommies were the same race as the TNG/DS9 Rommies, except for their personal style (bald w/tattoos rather than Prince Valiant wigged) and that's just to make them credible to the audience. The TNG era wigs and big shoulder pads would have been laughed off the screen. In both cases, the most prominent feature are those big pointy ears. Hard to look human with those elf-ears.

10. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, a bunch of tattooed guys would just make me think they were being invaded by some Pantera fans, really.:p

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Shoulder pads are probably for the military and aristocracy.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

13. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Elaborate.

14. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Why not Worf? I always thought he'd end up being the first Klingon captain in Starfleet.

15. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

He is an Ambassador. Becoming captain would be a demotion.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Apparently Worf accepted the demotion because he was still in Starfleet a few years later with his previous rank of lieutenant commander.

17. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

In which book or movie?

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Also due to Worf's previous actions (destroying an unmanned civilian transport and then sacrificing a mission for Jadzia) Sisko pretty much told him that he doubted Worf would ever get his own command.

I would love to see an established UFP species getting the centre seat: Andorian, Bolian, Trill, Vulcan.

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Nemesis (three years after DS9's finale)

I think that should be taken for what it actually was--just Sisko's opinion at the time. Otherwise, Worf may have long since redeemed himself. The incident on his service record may ultimately turn out to only prevent him from getting a command anytime soon, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  20. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Worf is Picards first officer in the current TNG/Typhon Pact books.