Spoilers TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jul 21, 2012.

?

Rate Fallen Gods.

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Average

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Below Average

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Poor

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's an idea- a Pakled crew member on Titan. But then, how about a Horta crew member!?!

You can have a Pakled captain in STO. I wonder if anyone has actually chosen that option?

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just happened to see this out at my local B&N and snatched it up. Was only on the New Release paperback shelf and not doubled up on the Trek shelf, and at the lowest lefthand corner. Weird, as the trek books are usually at head-height on the NRPB shelf. As well, the book is a regular glossy cover, which makes the cover treatment look pretty poor. No matte finish, no raised title section. Shame as I thought it was nice to have a distinct cover treatment and texture for a distinct series. Won't be reading this soon, but I am getting closer to finally starting the Post-NEM novel verse!

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy will arrive in a few days, or so I'm told. I can't remember which of you suggested The Book Depository to me, but I'm glad you did. :)

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

They have a Horta already, actually. Or they did in the early books; he left after Destiny. Strangely enough, we never got to meet him. He was the subject of a few "tripping over the mobile rock" jokes and that was it. Chwollk is the enterprising fellow's name.

5. YubYubCommander

YubYubCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have it preordered on my Kindle and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately, Odd Apocalypse also comes out the same day, and between the two, I'm sticking with Odd in terms of which I read first.

6. CommodoreNero

CommodoreNero Captain Captain

Pre-ordered for my Kindle. I'm excited to see where the story goes. The overall 24th Century direction has been great, so far.

7. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In terms of the overall direction, I feel a clear trend has been for the 24th century to move toward the 25th century.

*takes a sip of tea*

8. CommodoreNero

CommodoreNero Captain Captain

Stolen, my thunder is.

9. Sho

:)

Sorry for that sillyness, I'm killing time while transferring my newly-arrived TNG Remastered Blu-rays to my home server. Then it's off to Farpoint Station for me!

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was afraid of that. I love the Titan series' cover designs but not having the matte finish and raised title section along the side kinda ruins the look.

11. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree to. I loved the textured and raised elements of the earlier covers, but I have a feeling it was probably a lot more expensive than a regular glossy cover.

13. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, and I get the financial reasons. Just a bummer for the fans of the dead tree edition because those matte covers were nice.

14. Sho

Makes me a bit worried about cost-cutting taking place ...

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The same thing happened to Vanguard, didn't it? The first three (?) installments had a nicer matte finish, then they switched to glossy covers? Or am I remembering it wrong? It didn't seem like a big deal to me. But it's different for the Titan cover design, since it made very specific use of the glossy "TITAN" etched on the side to give it a cool effect.

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing that intrigues me: it's a long way from Iota Leonis to the Vela Pulsar...

17. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

I can't wait for this book. I really enjoyed all the Titan boks thus far. I also can't wait to see what happens to the Andorians. They have become my second favorite species.

18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing's for sure: what happens here won't be happening to all of them. And not all at once either.

And on that note, I think I'll withhold further comment until more people chime in after having read their copies.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just ordered it, should be here this weekend, maybe somewhere next week. Now I just hope I can finish it quickly enough. Seize The Fire was a real struggle, and I actually put it away for a while and read something else.
    Like I said before, I'll keep an open mind. But now, I feel bit anxious to read a novel by Martin again.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I picked up this new "Star Trek" novel from Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney yesterday - and just discovered that my Andorian alter ego, Therin (from 1980), has once again been saluted. Trying not to skim the contents of this thread too thoroughly, but so excited that "Fallen Gods" has a ship named after Shantherin th'Clane (aka Therin), a character first introduced in the pro novel, "Ex Machina" (Christopher L Bennett, 2004) - and namesake of Therin Park (and New Therin Park) in five other novels!

Yee ha!

[​IMG]
    TOS Therin as a redshirt by Therin of Andor, on Flickr