Downton Abbey ITV1 22nd September 9pm

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Serial thread killer, Sep 22, 2013.

1. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Ok, tonight's episode was ridiculous. Is Anna really afraid of that guy or that Bates would really go to prison for killing him?!

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Wow, I didn't think they'd go there and have Anna actually be raped. I thought that someone would stop that guy before then. Poor Anna. She's right, though, that if Bates found out who it was he'd kill the guy.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, that was a terrible turn of events, and yet, it doesn't surprise me. I understand how Anna is reacting the way she is, but I really hope she doesn't completely spurn Mr. Bates.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Ridiculous? I was going to come on here and praise the show for one of the most realistic reactions to trauma we've seen yet. "Tell nobody and then it didn't happen" is a very common initial response to that sort of brutal crime as is a fear of healthy intimacy. They've started down a difficult road on that plot, I hope they have the guts to follow it through.

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

The Downton Abbey fandom on Tumblr did not like the episode one bit.:eek:
    What I don't get is why has the family not had Gregson check out yet?
    You think Violet would know his bank details, marriage status and shoe size by now?

6. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Gutsy move there with the rape. But I fear for the storyline going forward. I understand Anna's reaction and I guess that's in keeping with the times, but I do wonder how many episodes of "Anna keeping away from Bates and Bates wondering if their marriage is falling apart" we'll have before she admits that she was raped.

Why doesn't she just tell Mary or Cora and have the police arrest the guy? Bates can't go apeshit and kill him then.

7. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I guess im just tired of the typical woman in distress but doesnt want anything done about it. There is probably a much better way to phrase what I am trying to say, but im tired and havent eaten yet.

It was a good episode and I also agree that they will hopefully follow through (and quickly, not lets wait two more episodes and deal with it). Ridiculous was not the right word to use, thinking about it now.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

:sigh: I should've known better than to look at this thread again, but I'm actually glad that I did. I've got two questions:

Which episode is this? And is the rape on-screen or something we just know about in the background? The distinction is important for someone with PTSD after being raped.

Thanks.

9. sttngfan1701d

It's the episode that aired Sunday, episode 4.3. The rape is not on screen, but the sounds of it are heard (the ruckus, Anna's crying/screaming), interspersed with other shots of what's going on and why no one else can hear it.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhh, the episode is 4x03. There was some violence and dragging off, followed by sounds while the camera is pointed elsewhere. And some after-the-fact corner cowering. I'd probably tend towards avoiding the last 8 minutes or so of the episode, could easily be upsetting IMO.

11. sttngfan1701d

Yeah. While it's not near the level of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in terms of graphicness, if you think you're going to be upset, cut out of the episode from the point Anna leaves the opera singing.

12. Tora Ziyal

Thanks for the warnings. Since just your descriptions -- which I asked for and expected -- are making me shake, I'd better skip the whole episode first time 'round. Shit.

I wouldn't dream of reading or watching any of The Girl with...series.

Oh! Is that the episode with Kiri Te Kawana? The opera singer? I'll have to watch at least that part eventually!

13. Count Zero

This came with a warning about graphic scenes before the original broadcast so you should probably avoid it. As others have said, the cut-off point is when Anna leaves the performance of the singer to take some aspirin for her headache.
    You won't miss much of the other plots of that episode, except for Gregson (Edith's lover) winning Robert's approval by winning back the IOUs from that cardplayer guy (who, as it turns out, was cheating).

I thought the editing was kind of awkward there, by the way. On the one hand, we have the very distressing scene of Anna being raped while on the other, it's intercut by beautiful music, everyone being happy listening to it, a happy end in regards to the gambling debts and Robert telling Cora that he likes Gregson.

14. sttngfan1701d

I don't think you have to skip the whole thing. Most of the episode the guy is just acting like a confident douchebag like most guys do when they try to chat up women who are not interested. The way he turns violent is very sudden and jarring at the very end.

15. sttngfan1701d

On a related note, isn't the editing on this show always awkward? I mean, even going back to season one there have always been these odd and jarring cuts, which often even cut off music cues.

I wonder if that's some sort of stylistic choice.

16. Count Zero

It's quite a typical situation for rape, though. Some men just can't accept no as an answer. I guess that was even more common back then than it is today.

17. Tora Ziyal

And you think I'd enjoy watching him chatting someone up, knowing ahead of time what he's about to do, even if I'm planning to turn it off?! When I've already said that just reading the descriptions is making me shaky? Sheesh.

Some day I will watch that episode, at least the first part of it. After the series is over and I've seen all the other episodes.

(Oh, sorry, that was to sttngfan1701D in #34.)

18. Count Zero

Maybe someone will make a fan vid with just the opera stuff from the episode so you can watch it, too.

Oh, this is also the episode where they're introducing Mary's new suitor (whose valet is the rapist, though) but you won't have missed much on that front if you skip the episode.

19. Tora Ziyal

Now that you mention it, I bet the opera part will end up on YouTube. Thanks.

20. sttngfan1701d

Sheesh what? No need to take your anxiety out on me. I didn't mean anything by that comment and in no way was it meant to belittle YOUR experience, so simmer down. All I meant was that for most of the episode, there is no suggestion of the end result.