The Expanse - wot the heck?!?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Gaith, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Am I cuckoo for cocoa puffs, or should el Expanse have had coloration?

1. Yes! We've seen plenty of normal looking space from all the quadrants elsewhere.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No! They put some color on Polly; any *more* would have made the space marines cry.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I went off to boarding school during the S3 run, so "The Expanse" was the last ENT I saw as it aired until the last stretch of S4. So it naturally seemed to me that, since the ep ended with the ship flying into a purple could, symbolizing the weirdness of the Expanse, the whole thing would look more or less like that - like the Briar Patch.

But noooo, I just watched "The Xindi" - not impressed, but that's another matter - and while the promised anomalies are sorta there, the space itself looks normal.

Fail. Like, massive fail, man. So big it darn near puts me off watching the whole season, when compounded with all the other weak writing and etc. If you're gonna do a "Bermuda Triangle" of space, somewhere so weird and dangerous we've never heard of it before, and Vulcans wet themselves just thinking about it, why on Earth would one not give it at least a touch of color, especially when you set that up in "The Expanse"?!?

Sigh. :( :p

2. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first half of the season isn't great but the last 12 or so are more serialised and generally better.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Want weird space? Just wait until the spheres are activated.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Indeed. S1 & 2 had their rough spots, but I just found the whole Xindi arc boring.[​IMG]

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I LOVED the Xindi arc. Enterprise at it's very best.

6. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Xindi arc and ENT Season 3 was the last best season of Trek since DS9.

7. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. While I loved all four seasons, Season 3 was one of the best.

8. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I think the first time the Xindi arc became interesting was around The Shipment/Twilight, the season's 7th and 8th episode.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit! Purple space or it's no deal, and I finally watch Mad Men! :p

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And then Season 4 came along and was even better! ;)

I agree with Gaith that the Expanse should have looked more consistent with what was presented in "The Expanse." But don't let that stop you from watching the season, Gaith. It really is (for the most part) very good. Sometimes it seems like a completely different show from what was presented in the first two seasons.

11. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Notice I said "last" in my post. Season 4 was, on the whole, a disaster -- it became VOY with TOS/TNG-linked fanwanks.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I noticed it, I just chose to ignore it because I think you're wrong. :)

13. Ensign_Redshirt

No, Seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise were basically "Voyager in the 22nd century". Season 4 tried to be TOS with better special effects. And Season 3 was "Deep Space Nine meets Manny Coto's Odyssey 5". :p

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    ^I'll go with that. Except S1 & 2 more "TOS in the 22nd century". Had similar humor, crew dynamic, charismatic captain. Never saw anything VOY like in ENT...

15. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. By far. The whole season built up nicely, and then BOOM. Space Nazis. Top that.

16. Ensign_Redshirt

Off the top of my hat:

- Failed attempt to introduce new, but ultimately bland races as main villains early in the show's run (Suliban/Kazon). As a result greater focus on previously established races from other shows (mostly Borg on Voyager, and Klingons on Enterprise, although the Borg were also featured on Enterprise once).

- "Time agents" from the far future as a recurring motive (Capt. Braxton on Voyager, Daniels on Enterprise... this is actually a theme first featured on VOY, which was then expanded on during ENT).

- Phlox as a revamped Neelix (granted, on Enterprise the idea finally worked), T'Pol as the new Seven of Nine.

17. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. This.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Space Nazi's..... so bad, that when I few weeks ago someone lent me season 4, I skipped the first two episodes. I should've skipped TATV as well..... other then that, season 4 was good.

*EDIT* Allthough I applaude every scene with Orion women, "Bound" should be made illegal.

19. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

THIS, THIS, THIS, except I didn't care for "In a Mirror Darkly" except for the female uniforms! OINK! T'Pol finally looked hot for a change! :drool: