Supernatural 3X10 "Dream a Little Dream of Me" SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Dorian is having internet problems, so here is a thread to discuss tonight's new episode of Supernatural. Guest starring the awesome Jim Beaver.

Hope everyone is ok, and its a good episode. Two and a half hours left for me.

2. mswood

Well this sucks, my secondary HD affiliate (the only way I can watch it legally tonight) is showing dead air. So I don't think I will have anything to add to this, for quite a few hours.

Oh well, people have it infinitely worse off tehn me not getting tv reception.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'm back this fine morning. I can't believe something actually went right and I got it fixed. I'm so sorry you missed it, mswood. :( It kicked ass.

Bobby stabbed his wife to death when she was possessed because he didn't know what to do about it back in the day. That's how he got started hunting. And Dean is back in the game.....he finally voiced that he doesn't deserve to go to hell. :)

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the right use for Bela. Conning her way into the boy's confidence, and then ripping them off.

Last week the demon mentioned a power rising in the west. I wouldn't be surprised if that power hired Bela to get the Colt. If it's the only thing that can kill him/her/it, why not get it. And if the boys are chasing Bela, they're not trying to hunt the power.

5. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

I thought it wasa great epsiode. One quick question: when Dean was talking to his doppelganger in the final dream sequence, the doppelganger's eyes flash black which usually means a demon possession. Do you think this was the "head honcho" demon that the crossroads demon referred to when she made the deal with Dean?

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, I think it has to do with Dean's talk with Ruby last week, where she reveals that the human souls that go to hell become demons once they lose their humanity.

Dean's nightmare is now his fear that becoming a demon is his fate.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Crossroad Demon's boss is also the power in the west.

7. Dorian Thompson

Yeah, the black eyes were related to Dean's fear of what Ruby told him about becoming a demon after he'd been in hell for a long enough time. I think Bela's going to sell them out to the power rising in the west.

8. mswood

Well a few spoilers that aren't specific. According to Kripke we will see that being before the 12 episodes are over. I would think it makes an appearance in the last episode which is very demon heavy (as well as real world heavy).

I finally got to watch a copy a few minutes ago and I was very, very pleased. I mentioned last week that I didn't have high hopes for this one. Boy I sure can't pick em. A very, very good episode, probably my third favorite of the season.

What I loved is how well they told a separate story yet interwove all the themes from this season. Excellent.

I love that the show has gradually shown Dean changing face on both opening up to Sam and admitting to himself that he doesn't want to die. And always nice to hear him bad mouth the old man.

Also nice to see Sam's plight. From his feelings of a Anti Christ like future, to what I strongly believe is a hint that his powers aren't quite as gone as he might have thought.

Twice this season, I have gotten the feeling that Sam may have actually harnessed abilities beyond what he might have been able to do.

In the 2nd episode at the episode coda, Sam is confronting Ruby. The camera and editing of the scene really show a sense of compulsion to Sam demanding the truth from Ruby (abilities he as yet hasn't used both the ability to compel humans and demons), and she tells him the truth tells him who she is.

In the 8th episode Sam is threatened as well as Dean by a very mortal threat, and he uses strength to decapitate Gordon. A Gordon who is stronger then ever. Yet, Gordon who more then anything wants Sam dead, doesn't manage to save himself to kill Sam. Yet what other power do people like Sam have access to, but super human strength.

Now is this what they intended or just some intense stage direction for dramatic purposes, I have always felt a little more to his untapped powers.

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if that is why he was also able to harness the dream and take control over it from someone who has been using it for a much longer time.

Also great was the arc of Sam in the last 4 o5 episodes going from gung ho to save dean. From research, to the colt, to even Ruby. But we have seen him lose faith in the chance that those things will be able to save Dean.

We now see Dean admit to not only himself but to Sam that he wants to be saved. I think this is what Ruby also wants, and why she told Dean that there was no escape from the Pit. To get Sam so desperate that others couldn't save Dean, that he would have to try and do anything to do it. I think Ruby wants that, to push Sam into darker and darker acts (see episode #12, hehe). And I strongly believe that if this season had progressed normally that it would have ended with Sam saving Dean by embracing the powers imbued to him by YED. So far, we have seen two people do this. Ava and Jake and both lost themselves to the power.

If I had to guess that is how I saw the season ending. But hell thats just a guess.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode, I especially enjoyed getting some more background for Bobby. As for Bela, I hadn't even thought of "the power in the west", but now that I have I really do think she took it for him/her/it. I'm also really glad that Dean has decided he doesn't want to die. The bit about Sam's power at the end definitely seemed like a set up to me too.

10. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm late but with Thursday my tv schedule is full and it is usually Saturday before I watch SN.

Any way, I found this one to be a bit underwhelming. It felt like they were throwing together several different ideas that never really came together and seem half developed. The whole revelation about Bobby killing his own wife didn't carry the shock or impact I think it was going for. And it didn't help that it was the type of thing these nightmare episodes usually unearth. Heck it could have been its own story like TNG's much more effective "Dark Page".

The dream attacker plot was just means to an end like so many plots on SN. The Sam/Bela dream evoked only indifference. Sam's "hard on" gave me a minor giggle.

It all was just build up to the highlight with the Dean/Dean confrontation which brought out some interesting personal truths and possessed Dean was probably the scariest moment in the entire episode. And I did like the twist of Bela stealing the Colt. It certainly makes sense given her occupation.

The music reminded me of Nightmare on Elm Street which only makes sense given this was inspired by it including the requisite Freddy Krueger reference.

I've been mostly satisfied with the last three or so episodes in an uneven season. I'd give this a C+/B- I guess.

11. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is this the episode that Jason Voorhees was originally supposed to appear in? Making him part of a nightmare would certainly have explained all the "it's Jason, but it's not Jason" talk when the rumour appeared. When Sam and Dean were dreaming in the car and Sam said "someone's out there", I half expected Jason to come stomping out of the trees. :D

12. Dorian Thompson

He would have, but there were contractual issues at literally the last moment, so no Jason. :scream: Well, there will be 4 additional episodes of Supernatural filmed to air in April and May since the writers are going back to work tomorrow.

Yea! :)

13. mswood

I would hope that the script with Ellen would be one of those four.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why does the prescence of Bela make Sam and Dean into such dumbasses? Sure, she's hot and all but are the brothers that horny they get stupid? It's rather pathetic. Funny but pathetic nonetheless. But it's getting a bit annoying.

15. Dorian Thompson

That's one of the major complaints about Bela around the net, Jack. When she's around, the brothers grow conveniently stupid. It's just so obvious that the character was a forced addition by the mighty Dawn Ostroff.
    I'd wager a large amount that Bela will NOT be back next season. The character is just so worthless. She adds nothing, while Ruby at least serves a purpose. Of course Ruby is the character Kripke wanted to add and Bela was the forced one because Ostroff insisted on another young female regular. :brickwall: Oh, here's a Bela spoiler that'll really endear the character to fans.

In the episode "Jus in Bello," which will air in two weeks, Bela turns in Dean and Sam to Hendricksen, the FBI man who's been after them . She's really a worthless cunt.

16. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Supernatural 3X10 "Dream a Little Dream of Me" SPOILERS

I took that just as a kind of off-hand comment, a kind of Wild West reference. There's a new power rising, but i think the "in the west" thing isn't to be taken seriously.

Anti-christ figure... blatantly obvious crucifix position when bound to the ground by the bad guy and allowing himself to be beaten up.

Possibly. This episode seemed to try to put to bed the hints they've been dropping all season - that what looked like Sam being taken over by his powers, or having come back "wrong," was actually just Sam deliberately trying to toughen himself up to take over from Dean. But of course, the two aren't mutually exclusive. :cool:

I feel kinda the same way. It used all the usual tricks of "it's all a dream" stories that we're familiar with from the Elm Street films, like "we're awake oh no we're not" and "take control of the dream." I felt like, while the ultimate message the ep was trying to get to was valid, they chose a pretty obvious and heavy-handed way of getting there. I wasn't really surprised by anything that happened. And we've been been beaten over the head with the Dean's-going-to-hell arc so many times that this was kind of inevitable.

But, of course, the "evil Dean" scene was gold beyond gold. So many of Dean's issues came out - his anger at John, his wish for a normal life, his jealousy of Sam. Beautiful stuff.

It reminds me of Buffy's issues, in a way. Dean wanted to let himself die because a) he felt he deserved it for all the horrible things he's done, and b) it was a way out of the horror his life has become. Then the one thing that breaks him out of his funk is the revelation that he'll become what he's been fighting all along, but of course that's the point at which they drill into him that there's no way out.

I also heard that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was supposed to be in this episode - that he was to be the one Dean faced in his dream, rather than himself. I have to say, I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Ugh. While the thought of Jared Padalecki with an erection is always to be enjoyed, this was inappropriate and out of character. It feels like another desperate ploy to forcibly attach Bela to the boys in one way or another. I can only hope we can write it off as either Sam's premonitions coming out again, or Bela having already taken some dream-root before coming over, specifically to throw sam off his game.

17. Dorian Thompson

I'm so happy that you're getting to catch up, lvsxy808. Yeah, the Sam dream was amusing but it was just a way to shoehorn Bela into the script. As we all know, the second "young and hot" female character was insisted upon by the network in an effort to raise ratings. So what happened? The young and hot chick is gone this season and now the ratings have gone up. You'll be pleased about who was added instead, I suspect. :evil:

Hopefully my computer will get fixed by this Thursday so I don't have to glom on in the breakroom at work. :scream:

18. mswood

Please, I use my station at work to surf the net all the time. Its the responding that seems to take to much of my time up.