Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, May 19, 2013.

?

Who requisitioned 7 years worth of maternity leave?

1. Tom?

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. B'Elanna?

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is killing my Hawaii dream.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've barely researched the subject, but in 1890-something the US Navy... EIGHTEEN-NINETY-SOMETHING... The US Navy cruised into Port, told the Royal Family to fuck and annexed Hawaii bloodlessly.

There's still a royal family in exile, but no one cares.

It's a completely different holocaust/land grab from a completely different set of disenfranchised aborigines.

But I know how women think.

Thomas Magnum doesn't live there any more, and he's rather old now.

Oh?

Really?

You were into Higgins too?

3. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Which brings up the question that has been hovering around in my mind for years. Who was keeping track of all the holodeck time and replicator rations? This question comes from almost 30 years of reconciling bank statements to Accounts Payable postings. First with pencil and paper and later with Excel because if it is one thing I've learned in all these years is that the software hasn't been invented yet that can do that for you. Lots of software companies have programs, and lots of software companies say that they have the ability to do this, but once you look at the end product you know they can't.

4. Guy Gardener

The reason they need rationing is because the ship doesn't have infinite reserves.

If some bugger was to stock pile their rations for weeks or months until they could use up the complete ships entire replicator reserve in one fell swoop, screwing over everyone else... Well that would hardly be fair.

The only way to do this with any fairness is to have "no rollover".

If you don't use all of your ration per week, bad fucking luck.

Meanwhile if the ships in the middle of a catastrophe, replicator rationing is going to be wound back to zero and/or ignored.

Of course here's the bonus to such an issue.

Rationing, the amount you get each week, is probably not constant/consistent, but an actual percentage of what ever surplus is allotted for the crew depended on the non fixed actual complete reserve.

Which is odd.

Because the less you use, the more they give everyone, and if you still use even less, then they further give everyone even more.

In New Zealand, a while back, we had a joke political party who wanted to abandon paper currency and replace dollars with kilogram bags of sand. Now you might think that that's insane, but it got worse... On the first day of the month one bag of sand ='s one dollar, but on the 2nd day of the one dollar equals 2bags of sand and so on, until the end of the month when one dollar ='s 30 or 31 bags of sand.

The McGillicutty Serious Party did everything they needed to do to become elected if they did get the votes, but it was truly just an excuse to get violently drunk in a kilt.

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread has taken an entirely unexpected turn in my absence. Nudity, cavity searches, and sand dollars.

I tell you, it's way better than the TOS forum, where every thread seemingly falls into the gravity well of "JJTREK SUKCS11!!!"

I like this place!

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they are not communists.

I guess that the Federation has a political system much better and more developed than barbaric, inhumane systems like Communism and Capitalism.

If they had been communists, then we would have had mass executions in every episode.

First of all, Janeway would have executed all Maquis, including Chakotay and Torres for being enemies to the Federation and potential subversives.

Then Tuvok would have been executed for being a Maquis spy and as Chief Of Security a potential threat. Vorik would have become Chief of Security instead.

Then Paris would have been executed for being a Maquis spy.

Then Kim would have been executed for being a friend of Paris and therefore a potential spy.

Then Carey would have been executed for sabotage the day the warp engines didn't function as they should.

Then Vorik would have been executed for being a supporter of the traitor Tuvok and Seven would have become the new Chief of Security.

Then Neelix would have been executed for trying to poison the Captain. Kes would have been executed as the leader of that attempt to overthrow Janeway.

Then Samantha Wildman would have been executed for being a supporter of the Neelix-Kes Faction. Naomi had been put in the brig and starved to death there as the daughter of a traitor.

Then Seven Of Nine would have been executed as a traitor and a Borg spy. The Doctor would have become the new Chief of Security.

Then Janeway would have been executed as an enemy of the Party and the State and for also being a Kazon spy. The Doctor would have taken over as the Captain of the ship.

Then the surviving 25-30 members of the crew would have shut down The Doctors program and declared him an enemy of the Party and the State, a Klingon spy and traitor. Lieutenant Rollins would have taken over as Captain of the ship.

And so on........

"That's Communism, m'sieu" as Elena Ceausescu used to say.

7. Guy Gardener

You do understand the difference between political communism and economic communism and that they are not always intrinsically connected?

The root word is community.

Do you have something against communities?

Trip said "these people have a lot to learn about making a free society." When he saw a shanty town on the outskirts of a megacity in season one Enterprise.

Quark called Sisko a very generous land lord for not charging his bar "rent" ever.

Technology and power production are at such a magnificent surplus, that the only people who need to toil to keep the lights on are actually volunteers who want to be part of the process, ie Starfleet and other civilian services like the Government.

"Working not towards profit but for the betterment of all mankind" as Picard explained to Lilly Sloan in First Contact.

No money.

Now as to the question of democracy and voting for representation, that's a much more confusing conversation.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because of bad cooking? Or bad coffee?

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do understand the difference.

And as I stated in my previous post, in the future Star Trek Universe, they have in some way found or created a new way of life where all the disadvanages of the 20th century ideologies are overcome.

But the word "communism" in almost all cases brings up the memory of the Soviet Union and the other countries where that ideology (well, at least the Marxist-Leninist interpretation of that word) were in charge and where executions and trials in the way I described it in my "Voyager turns Communist" nightmare were common. I could go into it in detail but this forum and this thread isn't the right place for it.

Teacake wrote:
    None of it really. Just an excuse for getting rid of someone in the Communist way.