Burn Notice: Reckoning - Series Finale (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 13, 2013.

1. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

Hello,

I just came upon the series finale of Burn Notice and just wanted to see, if any of you have watched it too and what you thought of it.

As often with those threads, it contains SPOILERS, therefore beware, if you do not want to end up knowing that it is a flash forward and kicking yourself in the head, with the spoiler.

Anyway, it was an episode like many of the remaining 110 episodes, and 111 episodes is quite a good number.

One could see the twists coming last week, though I thought, when Jesse shared some of his memories, he would bite it. But no, they came around with a little twist.
    As for the rest, it was standard Burn Notice fare, nothing special, though I had a small laugh out little louder moment at the end in the cabin, when Michael was unsure, if his nephew would be alright, if he would just fall asleep like he did. Seems to be a good start for a new series, a spy father, a terrorist mother, an amateur acting child - what a family.

I mostly watched this season to see where it ends, but it did not dare to take new steps, and I should have left the series long ago, but it was my guilty pleasure.

It may not have been a thread worthy episode, but the series deserves some kind of recognition, at least for the many Honda commercials or the nice Miami sights, but especially for Sharon Glass and her smoking habits. That is rare to see nowadays, unless one watches Mad Men, though that is another network I think.

Have a good night.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I liked Burn Notice, too, and yes, it did start to wear a bit thin towards the end, but I really liked how they wrapped it all up---or rather, DIDN'T.

I especially liked how they slid in everyone's catch phrases from the introduction into the dialogue ("Shall we shoot them?; You know spies--bunch of bitchy little girls").

I, too, thought for CERTAIN that Jessie was going to buy the farm after his little heart-warming speech, but thankfully, they didn't do that. Instead, they had Maddie make the sacrifice instead. That was a bit of a surprise but it made sense.

I also remember back in the very first episode, Michael made one of his voice overs about the usefulness of duct tape and they did that again in this episode--another cute little nod to the beginning.

I'm going to miss Burn Notice but it really was time for it to go. They went out at the right time.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It pissed me off that the entire last episode was the fault of Micheal not telling the rest that he was about to turn in James to the CIA. If they had known they could have waited until after to hold their "intervention" and no one would have had to die. It was just a stupid bit of storytelling and one of my biggest pet peeves when writers create drama through lack of simple communication.

Second issue. Hey Micheal, James just told you he's outside. Here's an idea. Tell the CIA!. The minute he called them I expected him to signal for Fiona or Sam to call the CIA and alert them. The CIA could have surrounded James and taken care of the group at Micheal's mom's hideout. Ah well.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The show was better than it had any right to be. I enjoyed the hell out of it on that level...

And Fiona remains hot.

5. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

The show was a guilty pleasure for me too, I never really cared much for the plots (or the overall arcs, who was behind burning Michael?... I have no idea) but the characters always where entertaining. I thought it was a great finale that wrapped everything up quite nicely.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only thing I missed from the finale was

NAME
    FUNNY-ISH SUBTITLE

from their standard episodes.

That said, the only thing that's bugging me is how Michael and Fiona got Charlie. Unless I missed something, it's implied that Sam and Jesse did not see them after the building blew up, so... ?

7. auntiehill

I am definitely going to miss Sam Axe.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Oh, they'll probably have a few 2-hour movies around the bend...

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Or a Sam and Jesse spinoff series.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I gave up on the show around season 2 or 3 when it was starting to get bad. Just watched the finale and wasn't overly Impressed, but at least I saw it. The very end looked like a mix between The Bourne Ultimatum and The Saint with them jumping in the water and then that quaint house in the middle of nowhere. I also got to see Coby Bell's character for the first time. Maybe I'll go back and check out a few episodes to see what his addition to the team was like.

11. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

Well, how could i have this user name and not comment on this show?

Burn Notice is one of the few shows I follow regularly. I really loved this show. I didn't really start watching until about two or three seasons ago. This show always reminded me of an 80s action show similar to the A-Team or McGyver. It had good splosions' and good humor and good characters. This last season was not as good as the past seasons, but still worthy of following. I think they should have ended after the Anson storyline ended, but they definitely ended it at just the right time. I was really sad to see Nate go last season and Madie go in the finale, but I was really happy how it ended.

The show ended perfectly; just as I thought it should have. I'm a satisfied customer and sad to see it end, but happy with the ending. The joke at the end was great too, as I watched it, I said the line with Fi, "My name is Michael Weston and I used to be a spy."

12. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for saving me all that typing! :techman:

13. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

No problem.:techman:

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno, it didn't seem right that after all that it was his mum that bought it. I was happy with everything worked out for everybody else, but the episode felt rushed. Should have been a double.

15. auntiehill

Well, it was kind of a double--they could've easily put the last two together and made it a single 2 hr episode. They just chose to split it in half. The last few minutes were a bit too rushed, though, I agree about that. Like how did Mike get the boy when he was with Jesse? They kinda skipped over that.

16. Mistral

I think it was assumed that Jesse traveled to Ireland(with Charlie) under an assumed name, using funds generated by Barry and IDs that a friend of Sam's came up with so he could drop Charlie off with Michael and Fiona, who had made there way there via a submarine they hijacked from an international drug runner. Duh. ;)

17. auntiehill

Right. As one does, of course.

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I've watched BN since season 1, I've quite enjoyed it. I do think it went on precisely one season too long, and the last ep with Tom Card should have been great if it looked like the final final episode. The whole James arc was unnecessary. Would have made more sense too.

Madeleine! Noooo! She was a sweetie! I'm terribly sad about that, she lost a son, got him back but very damaged, lost a son, gained a grandson, then never got to watch him grow up or her first son at peace. That's sad.

19. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

From that last scene, does anyone wonder if all of Michael's voiceovers in each episode was him telling the story to his nephew?

20. Mistral

But of course. ;)