Spoilers: Is This [Spoiler]'s Original Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Mar 10, 2013.

1. decompiler

decompiler Commander Red Shirt

What if the ship in question is the Constitution? Just sayin'.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it were the Constitution shouldn't look exactly like the Enterprise?

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

From the trailer I just saw yesterday this is the most plausible answer. If it is not the very ship it is one just like it.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Whatever ship we see crashing into the water and buildings is NOT Kirk's Enterprise. The lower hull has a recessed deflector dish while Kirk's ship has an exposed dish. And it seems highly unlikely there'd be two ships named Enterprise in the movie.

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Be very interesting if during the Ship-to-Ship battle, Harrison knows the "Command Codes" for the JJ-prise.

:ouch:

...More shades of TWoK...

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My current crazy theory: This other ship looks little bit like the Enterprise-E, especially the nacelles and secondary hull. What if that's because it's the result of Old Spock teaching Starfleet all about future Treknology? It's the only reason I can think of that would explain Starfleet's "newest flagship" Enterprise being surpassed by a bigger badder ship in less than one year.

7. phoenix96

phoenix96 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

See, the fact that the second ship looks so similar to the heroes' Enterprise implies heavily to me that it is another ship named Enterprise. I think if it was another ship they would have gone out of their way to make sure it was very distinguishable from the Enterprise (for example, the Reliant was designed so that it was very obvious that it wasn't the Enterprise). I think the similarity means something.

8. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Or maybe the ship we see crashing is part of some prologue or flashback of Aprils Enterprise? Who knows how old Harrison is anyways? Genetic engineering?

9. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

The images from the trailer still makes it a complete mindpuzzle. If it was the old Enterprise, surely it would look more like the TOS design or atleast have design cues from the Kelvin.

The nacelles look Post ST:First-contact 24th century to me.

I take the safe bet that it is just another ship in the fleet that gets red-shirted, one that initially fools the audience it is the enterprise to stimulate anticipation of the hero ship taking a dive.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

April's Enterprise as seen in the comic looks remarkably similar to the 1701, just with smaller nacelles. Which this ship seems to have.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It is interesting that they would pick a design so close to the Enterprise. In other movies and series they have usually avoided that shape so the hero ship would remain unique. An earlier Enterprise might be a plausible idea.

12. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Which comic was it pictured in. Also can you link me to a image of the ship? I would like to see it.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just another goddamned Starfleet ship, and is just as likely the U.S.S. Bupkis as anything else. Most of them look alike and have for almost 50 years - haven't y'all noticed?

The report is wrong, sorry.

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David Messina frankly didn't seem to be trying too hard when it came to drawing starships, as seen in a pic of Kirk's Enterprise from the same angle as the first pic of April's above. You'd be hard pressed to discern the difference, or indeed much resemblance to the onscreen starship at all:

[​IMG].

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

What makes you think it surpasses the current Enterprise, or that its a bigger badder ship?

16. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember a few years ago hearing JJ Abrams talk about how he wanted the ship Nero destroys in the first scenes of Trek09 to be the classic Enterprise, and closer to the TOS Jeffries design... He eventually went with the Kelvin, but I assume it was meant to be symbolic of classic Trek being overwritten by the NuTrek timeline as Nero enters the fray and causes all that temporal havoc.

So the idea of there being an older Enterprise floating around could be plausible, and in JJ's mind for some time.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing really. I would prefer this other ship to be a contemporary of the Enterprise with roughly equal ability. It was just an idea that popped into my head.

18. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

What sold it for me with Trek09 was that the first shots of the Kelvin really gave me the impression that this could be a real spaceship operating out there and how advanced it must be to do this.

Then you see the shot with both the Narada and Kelvin in the frame and the Kelvin could look exactly like a TOS ship. You just have to squint a little to see it.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

For arguments sake. What Starship (not including classes that became Enterprise) have a saucer, a secondary hull, raised nacelles and was seen clearly onscreen? I can think of kitbashes but none of those were seen clearly.

20. phoenix96

phoenix96 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not as alike as the JJ Enterprise and the mysterious second ship.

Exactly. The only times there have been two starships that share the saucer/lower secondary hull/raised nacelles pattern were in the TOS movies with the Excelsior and the Enterprise (and again in TNG with the Enterprise-B and Enterprise-D) but the Excelsior class was very obviously different looking.

Either we're mistaken in thinking that there is a second ship, or that second ship is extremely similar looking to (but not quite exactly the same as) the JJ Enterprise, and the only way I can see the movie producers including a ship that is so similar is if it is another Enterprise.