Any old timers still around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kgibsonuk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Huntingdon is still around, but doesn't post much as his job keeps him very busy. I met him IRL last year. A very nice and handsome gentleman! :adore:

Black Dog posts at TrollKingdom, I believe.

@Cooleddie: I can't remember those trolls, but at that time there were a gazillion of duals around. Most of them registered by missmanners or Che. The latter had a dual ingeniousely named "Lord of the Onion Rings".

And where did Lizardlaugh go? I always loved her name.

Edit: remembered the name of the chat-mod! Rovinski. Does anyone know what happened to him? He was such a dear and friendly guy and I haven't heard of him in almost 10 years

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Batboy may still post occasionally at Wordforge, but I wouldn't swear to it. Evil Robert still turns up around here, but not often. I don't think I've seen any of the others for a long time.

I see BlackDog on FB and LJ - I'm not sure she's been at TK recently, but I rarely go there myself. LizardLaugh was turning up here now and then for one thread, but I think it's been a while.

3. rhubarbodendron

Cool! Thanks a lot! I think I'll have a look at Wordforge and maybe even join there :)

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm still around.

I'm sure I saw vedek loki look at the board a few months ago. And with LONAF, I decided to take a look at it a few months ago.
    I've seen him around once or twice a year.
    There have been several, but could be either Santaman or Danoz (who ran the most recent one a few years ago)
    Still in Melbourne, I think. I saw him 3 years when Emh was visiting.

@ Bonzie: Never mind being middle-aged. We middle-agers are like an excellent wine: we get even better with age! :cool:[/QUOTE]

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember posting on Trekbbs when pc moniters were made of glass, windows came with a dos mode, and you were envious of a family member who had a 56k dial-up modem. lol

We are moving to fast i tell you. lol

6. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been here since before Enterprise premiered, but I don't recall the exact date (I just know that the date in my profile is wrong). I don't post very often any more because my job has been crazy-busy for the past year. In fact, I think this is the first time I've logged on in nearly a month...

7. rhubarbodendron

@ ElimParra: Hi there, nice to see you again. We were Flaptains together, back in 2001/2. :)
    I had no idea Phoonzie was still around! Thanks for the info.

The chat admin I meant was Rovinski. I tried to trace him online but he completely vanished in 2003.
    Santaman is a RL friend of mine and does occasionally post here. He's pretty busy hunting spam bots at TerranBBS where he's an Admin. And he still runs Terranchat every Saturday.

Btw, is there still a TrekBBS chat?

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Geeez has it been 13 years already?

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Just in case some of you didn't know there's a TrekBBS Chat page on Facebook. Quite a few of us have already joined.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well if it makes you feel any better, for you is actually around 12 years 10 months. ;)

11. rhubarbodendron

^ I never use facebook. They are an absolute nightmare when it comes to protection of personal data.
    There used to be a mirc chat, ages ago. TerranBBS still runs one. They have a very handy Java chat applet. Maybe we could have one here as well.

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Silence you!

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not sure what the "old timer" threshold is in context of this thread, but I've been a member here since August 31, 2000 and on the large, it's been an enjoyable ride. :)

I even think I have an old TrekBBS "card" floating about out there somewhere.

Edit: Ah, yes - here it is!
    [​IMG]

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    I remember that!

Damn, I'm old.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, there've been several iterations of the IRC channel. There was the official one a long time ago, then some unofficial ones. For a long while, #terranbbs and #efcl took the place of an unofficial TrekBBS room (and for a length of time, I ran #efcl). A couple (few?) years back, Danoz ran another #trekirc iteration that was strong for a while, then traffic tapered off.

:D :lol:

16. rhubarbodendron

Pere! Long time no see! We were Eternal Flaptains together, back in 2001.
    Should we register a new #trekbbs? It might be fun to chat with the other oldies and to make friends with the newbies.
    Santy, remember: like a very good wine, we get better with age :cool:

speaking of age: is Teelie (TLE / The Lonesome Ensign) still around? He was one of the very first TBBSers, if I am not mistaken.

And dare I ask what happened to Lisa? Or is she not to be talked about? I've heard rumours that range from her getting pregnant (highly unlikely, considering the fact that she was online 24/7 and simply had no time for propagation) to her parents forcing her off the computer for her neglecting her studies (that's imo the most credible version).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  17. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm not seeing the need to dredge up some of the less savory aspects of the past, Rhubarbodendron.

Lisa resigned (as per a direct phone conversation with her) and moved on with her life. Frankly, I think she got tired of the incessant shit happening at the time, partly due to the fact that she should have remained a mod of a small forum - she didn't have the tough personality necessary to deal with some of the realities of running a messageboard where people are anonymous - hell, it almost broke ME the first 2 years I ran it, and I'm no shrinking violet!, and I think that in and of itself was enough to make her leave, no necessity for dragging in her personal life.

Frankly, the past should stay the past. It's nice to see people from way back, but the board is way different now, no wars - either poster or moderator/admin or owner and it's great that it's that way. Not as interesting for those who love drama, but a helluva lot easier to run and more pleasant for most.

18. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Another oldster here.

Howdy. :bolian:

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you kept in contact with her through the years? How is she doing these days. I hope life is treating her well. I know Lisa only did it a short time, but she did take a lot of crap at the time and that was a pity.

20. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Another oldtimer checking in... Here lurking from time to time, but usually real life swallows me up quick enough again..
    Love seeing familiar names coming up.. :)