Smallville 8x09 "Abyss" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Grade "Abyss"

1. SUPER

32.0%
  2. Above Average

40.0%
  3. Average

8.0%
  4. Below Average

8.0%
  5. BIZARRO

12.0%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

About that.

A terrible gap in my Latin.

I was watching Sliders the other day and John Rhys Davies is getting sauced in a pub, when he proclaims that reasons why all their friendships had been falling apart of late by issuing the maxim In Vino Veritas, which of course means "In wine truth"... OH!!

Did i miss the episode of Smallville where they defined the word for those of us without a first grade education?

Of course later on there's another episode of Sliders called IN Dino Veritas. They battle Dinosaurs. :)

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was gonna go with "average" ( :eek: ) but went with SUPER because of the last few minutes. Most of the episode was good with lots of Chloe, but not great. Then we got a pretty good ending with Davis trying to wrestle Chloe away from Jimmy. That got my interest. Then we have the supposed Chloe memory reset. That was something, but I think she'll get her memories of Clark back, maybe next week or sooon after. I got the feeling that this is part of a mini arc.

By the way, this episode reminded me of The Forgotten in some places. I wonder if that was an inspiration for this episode.

I thought that was BRAINIAC walking up to Chloe when she was having another episode, but it was Davis.

I thought he acted pretty well and came off as pretty confident and secure for someone who has two hot guys after his girl.

3. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK I just got to watch this episode between WPIX showing the Jets game Thursday and working all weekend!!!!:rolleyes: Anyway I voted above average. Most of the episode was great, I agree with Guy the young Clark/Chloe was really cute. My only gripe was Chloe's memory wipe!!! (yeah I can rhyme:p). That was LAME!! The lamest lame thing from the highest peak of Mount Lame!!! I do agree that she will get those memories back or revealed to her. Ollie or Lana (not as hot as Chloe,and way overrated:evil:) or someone will spill the beans. Next week looks like the bomb though can't wait.

4. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually agree with Othello. Chloe was a minor, non-canon character that was never supposed to become so important. She was only supposed to be the exposition character, who spells out whatever the audience is (apparently) too dumb to figure out on their own. Superman doesn't have a sidekick, and never needed one,but somehow once she found out, she made herself that, and proceeded to take over thinking for him. That's bad.

This, however long it lasts, will be a good thing for him. It will force him to USE that Kryptonian brain of his. Kara showed us what could be done with one (sucks that she was cut out). I don't know if Chloe will or will not get the memories back, but it's long past time for the apron strings to be cut.

As for the holes in her memory, I'm hoping for a scene sometime that addresses that. If it doesn't bother her now, it should at some point. There 's a lot of stuff that won't add up (like why Lex fired her). But this is Smallville so I don't hold out much hope for that.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ That is a good point. This could help to push Clark toward his destiny.

6. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Patience, grasshopper ... patience ...

--Ted

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm too old for that, I demand instant gratification!

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Offtopic...That avatar hermiod.

What did Brock Lesnar win ? Haven't watched this stuff in ages

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    A spot on the Vikings roster.

...Oh wait.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Lesnar beat Randy Couture (second round TKO) to become the UFC World Heavyweight Champion at UFC 91 last night.

11. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Back in the '70s there were a series of Star Trek kiddie records voiced by unknowns (I have these digitized but am prohibited from posting them online by copyright restrictions). One of the episodes was about a diplomatic meeting where the accompanying beverage had the effect of being a truth serum...on Kirk and crew as well as the ambassadors.

The title was, of course, "In Vino Veritas". :)

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I remember seeing that. I picked it up at a Yard Sale for a quarter.

13. TGTheodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I'm with ya!

--Ted

14. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't see how Chloe could have such large gaps in her memory and not notice. Like, who is this Oliver Queen person? Was she involved with the League or not? Does she remember having Brianiac powers? Does she remember being in the Luthorcorp prison at the start of the season? Does she remember saving Lois from being stabbed, and does she remember why she was there in the first place?

Up to a point, I don't remember everything that happened to me in detail over the last 5 years, I don't think about the events of each day, and if she was "programmed" to avoid thinking about things like that, she might not notice, but that's a huge violation.

Clark is also not realizing, if Chloe didn't know his secret, she couldn't have helped him all those times, he'd be dead from kryptonite several times over, and many other people wouldn't have been saved. He is putting "protecting" her ahead of all the good she has done the past years, because she won't be able to do more good over the next few years.

She's no dope. What happens if she figures it out again? Another mind wipe? And another?

There's no ethics or logic to this move at all. Which makes it a really bad reset.

So making the reset, what does this accomplish for the story? Does it make it better? Does the rest of the season improve because Chloe doesn't know? It takes her out of the role of Clark's sidekick. Presumably this is to give Lois more screentime, Clark won't be running to Chloe for the magic information he needs every episode, he'll have to find it out himself.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I finally got around to watching this episode on my TiFaux.

(On SEVERE time-shift this week!)

Awesome, awesome episode. I mean, WOW!

Great, great stuff.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't watch this series anymore (lack of time demands that my guilty pleasure quotient has been sacrificed) but still read the synopses. I am glad that they are starting to work with a reset and bring Clark into his Superman years.

Lex and Chloe have both lost their memories of Clark (I am speculating on Luthor here). Now we just need the same to happen for Pete and then for some Smallville Style SciFi explanation for why nobody in the world will connect Clark to Superman when he dons the cape and we're set.

17. TGTheodore

I don't remember Pete ever losing his knowledge about Clark in the comic books. When did that happen? I thought he always knew once he found out.

And if they DO bring Pete back before the series ends, it better be a LOT better than that last incredibly stupid episode he returned for.

--Ted

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You mean the hour-long Stride Gum commercial?

;)

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I'm waiting for Clark to buy that new Suzuki Pickup Truck. I saw one the other day and it has a large S as its emblem.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. Clack only buys American.