If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by HIjol, Feb 15, 2014.

1. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

If you could pick, which one and why...

2. Viva Sativa

Viva Sativa Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

Can a transporter provide me a pair of Orion slave girls covered in crisco?

3. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

exactly. end of discussion.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, that is genuinely a tough call. But I think I'm going with the more practical option...the transporter.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The transporter.

I live in New England. Three weeks ago I took a trip to San Diego.

If I had a transporter, next week I would move to San Diego. And commute every day to New England.

And I wouldn't have to deal with this F***ING SNOW.

7. HIjol

Well-said, Commodore...I hail from Chicago...where is that weather control engineering when you need it?...

8. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Before I answer this, a point of clarification, please: Is the holodeck in question only capable of recreating things that I can feed to it from the contemporary era, or is it connected to a database of the same places and things that would be available to it in the 24th century?

If the latter, then obviously, the holodeck, because I'm next to certain that I can get it to show me how to BUILD a transporter, phasers, warp drive, etc. I'ma have it ALL. :techman:

9. HIjol

Your pardon, Admiral...did not see your thread, but how cool would it be to
    have any of it...I think I agree with the Commodore and the Captain...a transporter would be pretty useful...though, I am trying to imagine who to call for service! "Scotty's Miracle Small Appliance and Federation Equipment Repair?"...

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense, HIjol - especially since I've tried to do a little of it, myself, a long time ago - but we really don't roleplay the ranks here, and I have no idea who in the hell you just agreed with. ;)

11. HIjol

Point of clarification well received and brilliant!!!...yes, it would be connected to 24th Century databases, and thank you for the tip!...

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Easy, Transporter. Vulcan love slaves notwithstanding, a transporter would make travel and commuting so much more speedy and hassle-free. No more traffic, icy roads, or hellish seven-hour flights in coach.

"Beam me to Shore Leave, Scotty."

13. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Transporter.

That would save on fares and hotel stays.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holodeck.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

At ease ensign. ;)

This thread is it's own, I just linked mine for those who were curious. My thread isn't transporters verses holodecks. I think I read my other response and thought I posted it here but I chose the holodeck. I would love to watch Star Trek in first person, invite friends over to play current Xbox, Nintendo, or Playstation games in a 3D environment, or pick up a new skill by learning it first hand from scholars, scientists, artists, or anyone.

And though I'm a sucker for role-playing (I usually game every Friday night with my group), it's not expected here. I even tried to start a few RPG threads. I had a few on board but ultimately, it failed, but I'm all for it.

*Salute*

16. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why not a holodeck that you can program to recreate a functional transporter?

17. HIjol

Thanks, bbjeg...sometimes it is the needs of the few!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  18. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thinking outside the box to get it all! Like the guy who finds a genie and uses one of his three wishes for more wishes!

I'm a fairly poor person. The transporter would be great because I'd get to go to so many places I'll never be able to, but I would get to do that in the holodeck also. The difference being, I can program some more money in my pocket in the holodeck to really be able to enjoy it! Or do crazy things like walk a tightrope over the grand canyon. Thank God for safety features! Play in the Superbowl! Play in classic Superbowls! Could you imagine, "The Catch" being a pass from the great Joe Montana to me!

19. HIjol

In a game where the lead shifted back and forth repeatedly, the Federation took over the ball at their own 11-yard line trailing 27–21. UFP marched down to the Dallas 6-yard line, where they faced third down and three with 58 seconds left on the clock. When Joe Montana took the snap, the play, known as Sprint Right Option, was intended to be a pass to wide receiver Elias Zefram Cochrane; earlier in the game, "Warp Drive" Cochrane, son of the famous inventor of warp drive, had scored a touchdown on that play. However, the Cowboys covered Cochrane perfectly. Making matters worse, the pass rush of the Cowboys collapsed the Planet's offensive line. Two of the Cowboys defensive ends Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Larry Bethea, plus linebacker D. D. Lewis chased a backpedalling Montana toward the sideline, and seemed certain to either send him out of bounds or sack him. But at the last moment, and after pump-faking to get 6-foot 9-inch "Too Tall" Jones to jump, Montana threw a high pass to the back of the end zone that seemed destined to sail out of bounds until UFP receiver C. T. Guyton
    made a leaping touchdown grab with his fingertips to tie the game with 51 seconds left. The ensuing extra point by kicker Reginald "Broccoli" Barclay gave the Federation a 28–27 lead. Guyton finished the game with 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns.
    The play, remembered in Federation lore as "Red Right Tight – was recreated, after a fashion, during a particularly heated game of "Parrises Squares" on Star Trek TNG...

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Of course, those safety features break down at least once a season, whereas the transporter only rarely splits you in two. :)