Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This. If it lasts beyond 13 episodes, it'll be a miracle.

3. Guy Gardener

But how long will the Saturday morning spinoff last?

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. got 11.9 million viewers and a 4.6 in 18-49.

Obviously those ratings'll dip before the end of the season, but I think that guarantees it at least the full year.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine on the other hand is getting abyssmal ratings.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I have to laugh-- quite hysterically-- at people who actually think that Agents of SHIELD won't last the season, or even more ridiculous, be the first show cancelled (as that is the topic of the thread).

The ratings for the pilot were spectacular. A full-season order is inevitable to anyone living in the real world.

Do I think that there will be drop-off? Of course. But this show is in NO danger of cancellation. And I see it going more than one (or even two) seasons.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It also lasted four years, so I'm not exactly sure your point.

7. Guy Gardener

Advertising lies.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Agents of SHIELD is definitely the show where the second episode matters the most. Very interested in seeing how that does.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it myself, but honestly, I don't think pilot ratings really mean all that much anymore. What matters more is how many people it pulls in to keep watching week after week. Case in point, just look at Under the Dome. Got good pilot ratings, enough for them to feel confident about more seasons, even though everyone knows it's a terrible show that wouldn't last.

10. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm taking any "iffy-ness" with Agents of SHIELD's pilot as being part of that 'the pilot always sorta wows but upon further inspection sucks compared to the rest of the series.' I frankly didn't care for Buffy's pilot episode - it was 'okay' but it really didn't grab me until I watched a few more episodes and saw things being set up and seeing more of the wit and creativity that is Whedon at play. Same with Angel. I didn't see the pilot episode until a couple years into the show and I was kind of shocked at how 'meh' it was compared to how it got. So really pilots really have to do three things. Make people laugh a few times - so they can still said 'they had a good time watching it', show some cool stuff that may or may not ever be seen again so that people can go 'well the show looks cool', and set up something for the future so that people go 'well that's kinda cool, wonder how that'll play out.'

AoS did that. It channeled enough of the Avengers and the Iron Man movies to feel 'familiar', tossed in some trademark Whedon-esque snappy dialogue and pop culture references, had some 'cool tech' stuff and had a little ass kicking. I'm thinking really it's going to take about 4 episodes for it to really hit its stride. Keep in mind I'll bet half of the season is already 'in the can' and most of it was probably shot long before they got any kind of real feedback on it and what worked/didn't work. I also see a few spots in AoS that looked like they could have been cut in or recut a bit. So who knows, by episode 5 we'll be going 'Damn that was a good episode, and we were worried based on that mediocre pilot?'

And now that people are jazzed about Agent Carter - I'm pretty sure either there will be a spin off based on SHIELD's early days with her in the lead - OR they're going to do the show within a show thing and just do flashbacks. I do hope they at least set up a little more continuity with Thor 2 and Cap 2, sort of like how DS9 vaguely referenced the TNG crew movies.

It did feel weird not to see Coulson or any other SHIELD agents in Iron Man 3 - but now that we have AoS it's kind of clear that there's more at play - plus really the events in Iron Man 3 were only in the span of like 2-3 days at most. SHIELD's fast at responding to things but not THAT fast - although you'd think if a terrorist kidnapped the President, they would have been there and not just relying on Rhodey to be the President's protector/rescuer - unless really it took place in the span of a day and by the time they got a firm location on where he was being held, Stark and Rhodes were already there and it was taken care of. They got there barely in time to see the fireworks of all of Tony's suits going up .

Although you do have to wonder if that 'mysterious Council' that was harping on SHIELD in Avengers were secretly hoping that the President WOULD die and the Veep would be better -who knows maybe the Council was aware they were being played by AIM and Killian and basically wanted to intentionally keep SHIELD away so that things would go really bad and they'd get more funding. Or they were handling something else at the same time - I do think I remember reading something that SHIELD is/was really screwed up during the events of Cap 2 - so it's possible that SHIELD was more worried about internal issues OR... they just got to places too late. Which could explain why Coulson is starting up his own little strike team of his own to handle super heroics. For all we know behind the scenes SHIELD is a real mess and the only 'normal' feeling part of SHIELD is Coulson's group?

11. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too much useless crap among those new shows to even remember their names.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

My point is, SHIELD isn't safe. Will it last one, two, three or four seasons is irrelevant, cancellation is cancellation. And ENT's 4 seasons (out of planned 7) were a failure, no matter how you spin it.

Flash Forward (opened to 12.5 million) got canceled in the alternate universe? No one said anything about it not getting the full season order.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The thread asks the question "who will be canceled first." I guarantee at least one show will get canceled before four years from now. If SHIELD lasts that long, it won't be canceled first.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Fair enough.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm not going into "What show will be canceled at some point", all shows end / get canceled.

I'm curious to what everyone thinks will get canceled first, and if you think it's SHIELD you are in dreamland. It also won't be Michael J Fox's show as it got a 22 episode pick up when it was being shopped around.

16. Guy Gardener

Days of Our Lives.

If there's a Zombie Apocalypse and TV is "suspended" ...That isn't cancellation is it?

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

No show that runs for 4 seasons can be called a failure.

18. Guy Gardener

They deserved three seasons.

Someone gave oral to get a fourth season.

Ironically, the fourth season was best, creatively speaking, until Berman woke up and gave us his valentines.

Did you ever see Valentine?

There's a series that deserved 4 seasons.

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

And still, a bunch of people call it that, now how can that be?

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you ever seen Earth: Final Conflict or Andromeda? :lol:

Manny Coto was the one making the show, except for the premiere and finale of that season. He should have been the one running it all along.

Why does every damn topic here always become "Why Enterprise sucks/failed?"