Dark Horse to adapt George Lucas' original Star Wars screenplay

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

This might be the most interesting idea for a Star Wars product I've seen since the old Tales of the Jedi comics came out. Very cool. I'll defiantly be looking out for this.

...mind you, if memory serves, aren't there something like half a dozen different version of the "original" Star Wars script? As I recall some differed from each other quite a bit. For example, I'm pretty sure there was one version where the Luke equivalent character was female...that or both twins were raised together. I forget.

I wonder if this'll become a thing now and they'll do the early drafts of ESB with Luke's father being dead (and not Vader) appearing as a ghost alongside Kenobi and his twin sister being someone who isn't Leia. Or the version of RotJ with two Death Stars orbiting the Imperial capital and the Emperor's throne room in some deep, lava filled cavern?

With EpVII on it's way I think it'll be good to see some alternate takes on the Star Wars universe. IMO the EU has become *way* too hung up on continuity.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They should to the same with Lucas' "Indiana Jones and the Monkey King" script. That is some weird shit.

3. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Looks great, sign me up for a copy of the collected trade.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Lucas started to write the "Luke is a girl" script after the version now being adapted to comics, but gave up on it in mid-write and immediately started a new draft where, as you said, Luke and Leia were raised together on Tatooine.

You can find most of those scripts here, btw: http://starwarz.com/starkiller/

5. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Or Lando Calrissian being from a planet of clones?

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They should do that more often. Rejected scripts, scripts from scrapped projects, all that stuff.

Kevin Smith's/Tim Burton's Superman for instance.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I remember Dark Horse doing an adaptation not of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie itself, but rather on Joss Whedon's original screenplay for the movie.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The bearded guy in the last panel reminds me of Leonard Nimoy for some reason.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Turtletrekker...yeah that's called "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Origin" I believe and Joss considers it part of the BuffyVerse canon rather than the film.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see IDW do something similar with some of the un-produced Star Trek material. For exampe, the scripts written for the aborted Phase II series back in the '70s - epspecially Kitumba by John Lucas. Or some of the scripts that have been written for the movie series like the John Logan script about the beginning of the Federation.

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I'm over the disappointment that their "huge" announcement wasn't "huge", this looks kind of interesting. I still probably won't ever spend the money to read it, but I kinda figure now that I would like it if I did read it.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ This is pretty huge IMO.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Agreed. It's essentially how Star Wars could have been done differently.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see that. In the McQuarrie art, he looks like George Lucas.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Or a Planet of the Titans one shot.

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

That could be pretty interesting. Especially if they used the Ken Adam production art as a basis.