Rock covers. When the cover was better.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by voggmo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

The random Billy Idols the only good bit in that.:lol: The rest I found slightly painful! The Hard-Fi Toxic was much better!

Pop songs covered into better rock songs? I'm going with the Lostprophets cover of Justin Timberlakes Cry me a River.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdT8FMCP2F8&feature=related

Rock covers of rock songs? I like Kula Shakers cover of Deep Purples Hush better than the original.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7r_f_rw0c

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Hayseed Dixie do a great "Fat Bottomed Girls" as well.

:D

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Sabbath songs that have superior cover versions:
    Faith No More - War Pigs
    System of a Down - Snowblind
    Soulfly - Under the Sun

4. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Way too fucking funny. :bolian:

You just cost me money. I went on MusicStack and just bought copies of their first two records on vinyl, one of which has the Banana Splits song. I had most of their other ones already. If I'd know that they had also covered the Gigantor theme on one of them, I would have bought them a lot sooner.

The Dickies weren't just a cover band. Most of the songs on their records were originals. Let's not forget they did the title track to the totally bizarre movie, Killer Klowns From Outer Space. But it was the few covers on each record that they are best known for. Here's a review of their live CD, Still Got Live, Even If You Don't Want It, from the All Music Guide:

The Dickies intro to the frantic cover of "Sounds of Silence": Paul Simon taught us this next tune...over a highly homosexually erotic game...of Mousetrap!

God bless The Dickies.

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they were quite popular with the kids at my school when they had their five minutes in the sun back in the 70's (I think it was the 70's...) - a friend of mine had the album with Banana Splits on it, so it's pure nostalgia for me.

:D

6. Outpost4

While, yes, their moment has passed, they are still together and creating new mayhem. The Dickies are in the middle of a European tour right now. All Music says that they are the only original LA punk band that managed to stay together, and they did record an album of new songs as recently as 2001. Maybe they lasted because they didn't take themselves too seriously. Hell, they don't take anything seriously! :D

7. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

A refreshing attitude, to be sure!

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Not at all. Both versions are excellent!

Yep. Most songs on Renegades actually improve the originals.

Foo Fighter's "Down In The Park
    No way. No way. No way. No way. I am very open-minded when it comes to covers of songs I love, but THAT version of Supernaut (one of Sabbath's finest) is complete and utter ear-rape.

9. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That gave me a good chuckle.. Those guys always had a bit of laugh in them.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Saw them play that once. The Dickies are awesome. :D There's been mention upthread of Black Sabbath covers, and the Dickies' cover of "Paranoid" is right up there. Ditto the "See Me, Feel Me" (The Who) section of "If Stuart Could Talk".

While those might not be better than the originals, am I the only one who thinks that the Dead Kennedys' "Viva Las Vegas" is the best version? Or their cover of the Rawhide theme song?

I might allow a couple more besides "Hurricane" but I'm of much the same opinion. I'd also rather hear most Springsteen songs performed by someone other than Bruce. It may not be a popular viewpoint, but it is mine.

11. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

No--you're not the only one. :bolian: I'm surprised those didn't occur to me.

12. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, man. But: way.

Especially the version on the Wax Trax Black Box, with Reznor on vocals.

Sweet. I've caused a controversy.

13. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

There's been mention upthread of Black Sabbath covers, and the Dickies' cover of "Paranoid" is right up there. Ditto the "See Me, Feel Me" (The Who)

Beat me to it. Saw em open for Ramones. Great stuff.

As for Supernaut, it was John Paul Jone's favorite Sab track. he & Bonzo used to jam with them.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like Jim Sturgess's "I've Just Seen a Face" from Across the Universe a lot better than the original version.

15. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

16. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

The first thing I thought of.

Bob Dylan wrote some great songs, but most of them are better performed by someone else.

17. Outpost4

This is the second or third time this sentiment has been expressed in this thread. Yes, if I was a rock or country artist, I'd look for a great Dylan song to cover. And yes, there have been bands that have covered a dozen or more Dylan songs successfully, like the Byrds and the Grateful Dead. And yes, many takes of his songs that we best remember are versions done by others.

- BUT -

The man is a masterful singer of his own songs. I've seen Dylan maybe a couple of dozen times in concert by now. Take a simple song like It Ain't Me, Babe. Dylan obviously likes it because I've seen him play it a number of times in concert. It's been a plantive song, an angry song and a dismissive song. He's sung it detatched and he's sung it like it's a fresh break-up. He's done the song at least half a dozen different ways.

Bob Dylan is one of the great song interpreters of our time. And he has a tremendous catalog to chose from.

Yes, I like a Dylan cover as much as the next guy. But when Dylan's on in concert, and I've seen shows when he's been on fire, nobody, but nobody, does a Dylan song better than Bob Dylan.

18. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

I bet Dylan actually has a perfectly normal singing voice, he just sings poorly on purpose just to see how much he can get away with. :p

19. Outpost4

I've also seen him so stoned that he could barely mumble his own songs. He'd stare at his feet and, in a monotone, do a speed reading of the songs lyrics. Those shows sucked.

If you want to hear what Dylan sounds like singing like a normal person, go to Nashville Skyline. Of any of his records, that has the most normal singing voice.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

His amazing voice. Who knows what have happened if he lived
    Agreed. There is also a version of that song, by Australian band Custard.

It seems someone beat me to nominating Cake I will survive

Also a supergroup here called The Wrights recorded a version of Evie (parts 1, 2 & 3)