What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Luther Sloan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Voyager have higher ratings than DS9? If ratings = quality, someone's gotta go over to the DS9 forum and break some bad news to the Niners.

I volunteer Guy.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you.

It's counterintuitive, but once you accept that humanity sucks, that the more people like any one commodity, the more it sucks, everything locks into place.

How else do you explain Football?

3. starlitegirl

starlitegirl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But they were going back away from Voy at that point when they head back to the original Demon, and at that point they are still 25 years away from Voy because Voy had all that nifty tech and cool wormholes pushing them closer to home.

Regarding the weapons, in Retrospect they meet with an alien who they are trading with to get weapons. I guess I figured that if they met him they probably met others along the way that supplied them with weapons for trade. They might have still called them by the original names, but I think that could have happened. Yes, I'm engaging is some major suspension of disbelief because I enjoy the show enough to toss the important details out the window. :guffaw:

It's actually fun to find the discrepancies. They're like geek puzzles meant just for us. But then I go on my merry way dismissing such relevant data so I can continue to suspend my disbelief because in reality there is no federation and at the rate our civilization on this planet is going, we'll be lucky if we ever manage to get anything past Mars much less have an Enterprise like ship traveling among the stars.

4. Guy Gardener

Still regarding weapons, the only bit they probably couldn't replicate is blowy up bit, which they could either buy or mine/harvest. But they could have made infinity torpedo casings (plus targeting and drive systems, all the widgets.) I suspect.

They weren't 25 years ahead of Voyager.

it was just said they their advanced warp drive had cut he trip down to 2 years. Did they say from 30 years to two years which means that they were almost in the same general whereabouts as the real Voyager when they did invent their new tech, and besides we don't know how long they buggered about on the demon world before some of the Quicksilver-lifeforms thought that becoming Voyager would be a rewarding experience or how long after that they scrubbed their memory and set course for earth, if they mindwiped themselves for fun and not by accident that is.

They figured out that they had been in space for 30 to 40 weeks. :)

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Something like that, and it made no sense. WHY can't more torpedoes and shuttles be made, exactly?

6. Guy Gardener

From The Cloud, episode 6.

My bad.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

No, it did not.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you sure about that? DS9 was straight-to-syndication. VOY was the flagship of a new network.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

DS9's ratings can't be compared to VOY's because one was syndicated and the other wasn't.

Also, VOY was up against much more powerful competition than DS9.

Whenever the DS9 creators talk about the difficulties they had with their show and doing things, they really have no idea how hard it REALLY can be because they had it VERY easy for a TV series.

And this "If VOY was better Trek would've lasted longer" stuff is mostly BS cooked up by Niners to make their show look better. If VOY was this "ultimate Trek show" they keep whining it could've been (unlikely, given how limiting the premise was) nothing would've changed, franchise-wise.

10. Guy Gardener

Voyager was always a Seven year concern. Nothing was going to give it an 8th year. Although if Voyager was better, then Enterprise would have lasted longer.

11. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yep that runs down the ENT errors fairly well.
    Voyager's are less effectual to canon. The torpedo situation, the shuttles and inability to make more. Personally I fine the Aero Flyer a bit of contradiction. Why build the Delta Flyer if the Aero Flyer exist? Voyager's top speed was never seen in practice.

These are minor problems but it goes to show you where Trek was going once ENT hit the air waves.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Was that the sustainable crusie velocity of warp 9.975, which became more of a maximum speed.

13. Guy Gardener

Sustainable.

There was an episode of TNG where Romulan Warbirds were chasing the Enterprise and they were talking about who long these ships could maintain specific speeds for x number of hours without their engines exploding.

I doubt they mean sustained cruise for much longer than 10 hours.

A good engineer looks upon the factory specifications as a dare, but a great engineer thinks of factory specifications as an insult.

14. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

In BoBW the Enterprises sustainable speed was measured in 12 hour increment best speed.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Then it's not sustainable, sustanable would generally mean you can cruise along at that speed for however long you want. Now if they had said maximum instead of sustainable you could say it's for x hours. As with everthying it's in the wording.

16. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, and hair perms aren't permanent.

17. Guy Gardener

According to Gilligans Island a "cruise" only lasts 3 hours.

Near the beginning of Enterprise there was an argument between Trip and Archer that went "Warp 5! Now!" "You understand that this is only theoretically a warp 5 engine? It's only our top speed during the best conditions for probably a couple minutes if we're lucky."

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Put it this way, if you went and bought a car and the specs said it could sustain a cruising speed of 120mph. You would expect to able to maintain that speed until you ran out of fuel.

Now however if the specs said it had a maximum speed of 120mph, most people would thing ok it can do 120mph, but I wouldn't want to hit that speed for too long a period.

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

The writers churn out screenplays and submit them to the production staff. They are read by people who are very familiar with Star Trek but not experts on the smallest of details. Corrections are made for various reasons, the scripts are crafted, finalized, then put into production. Humans are doing this and so there are bound to be errors.

CHAKOTAY: We have a complement of thirty eight photon torpedoes at our disposal, Captain.
    JANEWAY: And no way to replace them after they're gone.

Taken out of context, it's a mistake because we clearly see that they don't run out. There are three ways of looking at it:
    1) Because it was shown it is canon and conflicts with the rest of the show, it's a permanent "flaw" among many committed by Voyager.
    2) It's a mistake because human beings wrote and edited the story. It has to be forgiven as such, so that there's no conflict with the rest of the series. So, interpret it as Janeway intended to say "they're very difficult to replace."
    3) It was true at the time it was said. But later on they devise a way to replace them. I know, couldn't the replicators make anything? Even copy an existing photon torpedo? Perhaps there are limitations. But maybe they find a way to replicate the necessary parts and hand assemble them to construct more torpedoes.

When LOST was created by JJ Abrams and crew, it was soon realized as the show progressed that there were MANY details developing over time that had to be tracked. It became an enormous undertaking. So, they assigned someone to be the "librarian" of all LOST phenomenon. He would be in charge of maintaining consistency and continuity within the show. Although LOST finished with many loose threads dangling, they did address a lot of details that might have been more mixed up than they were, because someone was deliberately keeping watch. Overall from what I saw the producers say, the person was a significant help to them.

Why didn't Star Trek practice this? There are so many people who have served on Star Trek productions that are details gurus. Why didn't they designate such a person to serve that role for the series, for writers and other staff to consult with for possible "canon" mistakes on the series? True, there are times when a crucial plot device not being tolerated would invalidate an entire episode, but there are plenty of times when minor changes would keep the story intact but avoid making continuity mistakes. Perhaps the production staff was arrogant and felt they didn't need such assistance. But I think it would have really helped in a number of regards. Of course, the flip side to this would be fewer heated debates on TBBS... we wouldn't want things to get boring around here, would we? :lol:

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They did. Richard Arnold, "Star Trek Archivist". It was part of his job description. Richard had been a volunteer tour guide at Paramount, and often did consulting work as an expert fan, until the riches came in from ST IV and Gene Roddenberry convinced Paramount to put him on the payroll. Up until TNG's "Unification", he consulted on all scripts and tie-in manuscripts, nitpicking for continuity errors. But the TNG writers didn't have to listen to him, only the tie-in editors.

But RA made himself very unpopular with many people, esp. the writers of the tie-in books and comics. He was locked out of his office the day after Roddenberry died, as was GR's exec assistant, Susan Sackett. Richard was retained for a few weeks while Paramount sorted GR's belongings. Then Richard was dismissed - and began to work freelance for some tie-in licensees.