The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DigificWriter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never thought of 'JOOC' as being text-speak'; it's just a standard abbreviation that I use both online and in every-day life.

Regarding the conversation I opened up regarding Harry, I'm not sure I want to disrupt the flow of my current Voyager viewing to 'check' things re: Nightingale, so I'm going to defer to common wisdom for now, although I will say that, through the events of Partuition, Harry's 'role' has actually been quite prominent in terms of how he's been utilized, having been more or less a constant feature on away missions and a prominent 'voice' when it comes to resolving problems, which I happen to think belies the 'minority' of his physical rank. Time will tell if this continues.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It was always sort of odd that even some of the provisional ranked Maquis were Harry's superiors and could give him orders. Even Seven, with no rank at all, seemed to order him around but that might have just been her forceful personality. Too bad he didn't comply with the "Take off your clothes" command.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another huge piece of this to consider is the level of acting bringing the character to life (or draining the life out of the character). In many cases that has a lot to do with how the writers use (or don't use) the characters. It can also have an impact on how the viewers perceive the importance of the character's role among other things.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Seven would order Janeway around.

5. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here is another example where voyager annoyed me with lack of continuity, when kes left in the very next episode there is no mention of her at all it's as if she was never there to begin with. Compare with DS9 when jadzia left they mentioned her frequently throughout season 7.

6. Melakon

Not even Neelix seemed to miss her, though he was already over his breakup with that little teasing Ocampa bitch. Everyone became infatuated with Seven of Boob.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ethan said in an interview that Neelix was into Janeway.

If you look at his whiskers when he's telling Q that Janeway is to good for him, you can tell that he thinks that she's too good for himself too, which Q finds hilarious that the Kitchenrat wants to mount the Captain.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone is into Janeway.

9. DigificWriter

That's not really a lack of continuity. After Billy died on BSG, nobody mentioned him again, but no-one has ever claimed that BSG had no continuity.

10. teacake

Roslin looks at his photo at some point towards the end of the series.

11. DigificWriter

You're right. My point still stands, though.

Also, Kes made a return appearance in Fury.

12. teacake

Lynx will now appear!

:)

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Fury is like the Batman spotlight for Lynx. ;)

And I'm not into Janeway, sorry. :)

But seriously... how narrow minded are some people about being promoted? You're stranded years away from home and of all the things Kim has to bitch about, he's whining about his rank?

It doesn't matter when there's no higher -positions- to go with the rank. Janeway was right to keep everyone in their positions. You can be freaking Captain and it doesn't matter if everyone else on the ship are a bunch of admirals except you all look silly with your play ranks. The only two people she promoted was Tuvok... I think mainly to make him undisputed third in command, and Paris... after she made her point about launching a terrorist attack is bad. Or to just piss Harry off, both are valid reasons. ;)

14. teacake

I meant everybody on Voyager.

I realize some earthbound folk have yet to be enlightened :lol:

15. Guy Gardener

"Batsignal"

Fury was a stunt, probably to quell slander about their discontinuity. A stunt is not real life, it's fake effort for a prearrange single moment in time.

Almost 30 people died or "left" on camera (I counted once.).

Despite the Doctor's ramping, Kes was the CMO, and Tom Paris after her, with their nursing/medic qualifications.

If Kim had spent a year or two training to be a REAL Doctor, or even a Chef... He would have been a full Lieutenant, in charge of a larger department with more responsibility.

When Chell took over Neelix's full time Job, who do you think then did Chell's old full time job?

The bad thing that Janeway must have been doing was consolidating duties and job titles, therefore giving the higher ranks more work becuase the lower ranks still needed to an awful lot of unavoidable grunt work they couldn't be promoted away from.

16. Melakon

Neelix probably had more cross-training knowledge than Harry seemed to, so he easily could have been made a Lieutenant or Lt. Commander. And Seven was the equivalent of a civilian with a bridge duty station. Voyager could have easily wound up looking like a small mom & pop store where everyone working there is from the same family and has an executive title.

17. teacake

But who is the Pop?

18. Melakon

Pop Janeway, of course.

19. Guy Gardener

Rank has nothing to do with technical skill.

A good officer should be able to be planted into any department and thrive.

It's about (human) resource management.

How many crew/officers your superiors think that you're competent enough to give orders to/take responsibility for.

Compare it to learning to juggle.

Petty officers can juggle 3 balls, Ensigns can juggle 5 balls, and way up the top of the command pyramid there are admirals juggling a dozen working turned on chainsaws.

20. teacake

I would be totally fail in starfleet.