7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah and it helps that Matt Smith works so well with them, it's hard to imagine Eccleston or even Tennant having such rapport.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I assumed it was the Mummy that did that.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Is it my imagination or is the car that nearly hit Clara's dad at the start the same car that greased Pete Tyler in Father's Day?

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, didn't make the connection, but given they were both set in the 80s it might just be that it's a decent looking 1980's car the BBC use :)

Or it could be something more sinister...

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone is targeting the dads of the Doctor's companions!

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That's what I was thinking. I'd have to go look at Father's Day again to be sure, but can't be arsed.

7. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

That's what I thought too, on first watching. It certainly would have made more sense, from a plot viewpoint.

But when I rewatch it, as Clara extends her hand to Merry, the latter furrows her brow and puts her hands to her temples and Clara is pinned to the display case, while Merry glares at her. After the Doctor convinces her "everyone else will be fine" she glances back at Clara and Clara is released.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the way I saw it, too.

Which, on reflection, makes a little bit of sense. You have a civilization of psychometrists who barter with memories impressed on objects, so you've established there's something psionic about them all. Then there's the odd bit with sound jumping from the asteroid city to the asteroid pyramid thousands of meters away. Even assuming there's an Integral Trees explanation for an atmosphere in that region of space, sound doesn't move that quickly. Yet the Doctor heard the singing pretty much as soon as it started. And the face reacted just as fast. So, in addition to psychometry, these people appear to communicate with their god/parasite planet telepathically.

So telekinesis too? No problem.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Which seems a tactical error, their mums are far more dangerous!

:lol: Fair enough, can't remember the last time I actually watched Father's Day?

10. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Hey, wasn't Clara's father the guy who ran down Pete Tyler? :)

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Only because Pete turned Clara's mom into a Cybus Auton. You'd run him down too, if he did that to your wife. ;)

12. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I liked the episode. It wasn't great but wasn't bad, and it was a little rushed.

The celestial body that the monster possesed was a gas giant, not a star. The individual little planetoids were actually satellites, moons if you prefer. There was atmosphere between the moons, like a huge sky with islands floating in it. The closest analogy I've seen was the Flash Gordon movie in 1980, when all of the moons of Mongo and everything in between had air and clouds.

And when the entity was defeated the planet was still there, just like it was before it popped out of the pyramid and flew to the planet. Gravity and atmosphere was not disrupted.

How could anybody think they were flying that little scooter through outer space? There was wind!

I like it! The GI and Clara might have some link between them.

I also wonder if it somehow connects to The Dream Lord, they really never explained where he came from.

Yes, there was pollen in the Tardis or some such explanation, but I think there could be more.

Clara's impossiblility might be a theat to the Tardis somehow. River obviously was a threat to the Doctor, but they got along great. The Tardis didn't want any part of two Amys, so infinite Claras would probably be worse.

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not buying the atmosphere argument. How is that even possible? I'm going with small forcefields around the bike and buildings to keep the air in.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is what happens to all those small moons now that the gas gaint/alien has apparently vanished? Surely with the gravity well gone they're going to start drifting all over the place.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But also scarier. Be honest, Jackie is a lot more intimidating than Pete.

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

1. If you are watching Dr Who for "possible" please watch something more realistic, like Tom & Jerry.

2. The planet was there before it left the pyramid, and was still there after it was beaten, left, what have you.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Exactly!!

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I loved this episode because it reminded me of classic Doctor Who, it had the same formula (though usually those got several episodes to solve the issue, this one had to do it quick).

So for that classic Doctor Who feel, and formula, A+, this is what Doctor Who was, is and should be.

OH, and he mentioned his granddaughter Susan, not by name, but he said he'd been there before with his granddaughter :D This brought a huge smile to my face, acknowledging that she existed, and now we know of one place they went to before Earth. Maybe one day he'll answer what actually happened to her after leaving her on Earth in the future with the Daleks.

Also, glad we are back to the Doctor and the Companion just being friends, and not lovers, never did like the new plot in Doctor Who of the companions falling in love with The Doctor, or vise versa.

And BTW, I loved the singing, the songs were great, and everyone did well, I'd buy that on a soundtrack.

Only complaint, too much use of the sonic screwdriver, it is literally the deus ex machina.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Close but different headlights and grille, it's more apparent if they had taken the shot a couple of seconds later. Not to say it's not supposed to evoke or possibly even be the same vehicle.

20. Elbonannod

Elbonannod Cadet Newbie

I re-watched this with the subtitles on. After the Doctor offers his memories, he goes on his knees, and said something like "I can't feed you" (very quietly). I dont know if he realized it was not possible, or if he decided he did not want to do it.

Then, Clara offered the leaf and the Doctor commented on how powerful the potential energy was. I don't know if that is going to come up again this season, but I immediately thought of the weeping angels.