ship design help.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by surak-toc, Jul 12, 2013.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i am having a bit of trouble with designing a starship for my story series (hopefully), i have named the class cardinal class, the ship USS Camelot, but for the life of me i cannot think what it would look like, if its not sounding cheeky could i have a little help with the basic design, or atleast i want to see first what you all would think a cardinal class ship would look like.

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Form follows function. Starfleet ships serve in multiple capacities but are usually designed around one primary function - combat, exploration, colonization, support, etc. Do you have a history for your ship/crew that leads in to your first story, or something your characters will refer to as happened to them prior to the story you're telling?

That aside, what Trek era is it -

ENT
    early missing years (post ENT/pre TOS)
    TOS
    TOS movies
    late missing years (post movies/pre TNG)
    TNG/DS9/VOY
    post VOY

That will give you some basic design clues to what the ship parts look like, which in turn will start to dictate what the overall design should be.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off, from the FAQ thread:
    That said, you've provided very little information. Is it absolutely necessary that you have a new class of ship? Would one of the dozens of existing designs work just as well for you? What era is this set? What size is the crew, and by extension, the ship? What function does the ship serve?

I don't think you'll have much luck in getting someone else to design your ship for you, but if you answer the above questions yourself, it can help you narrow down the design. Also, it sounds like you haven't written the story series yet. I'd start with that, then come back to the design. I would think you'd want to leave your options open for the stories, rather than get boxed in by a design from the start.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It would be red. :)

5. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would also be Catholic. :D

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Don't forget a big ol' deflector ring... :)

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. surak-toc

the ship is post VOY, Ship: U.S.S Camelot – Cardinal Class Ship - Commissioned in 2782 - the ship designated by the Vulcan Senate and high command and built at the san Francisco ship year, it’s the last and biggest of its type, the U.S.S Camelot is the sleekest of all the Cardinal Class Ships ever made, it may be massive on the outside but due to it being dimensionally transcendental it’s the most advanced ship that’s ever been commissioned, due to its enormous inside it holds a wide range of facilities.

The U.S.S Camelot is the liner of all Cardinal Class Star Ships; it boasts the top of the range medical facilities with new medicines, brilliant bays and equipment, the best armoury holding many varieties of torpedoes that make the ship top of the shop and tech that strengthens any crew, weapons devised by some of the ships best weapons engineers, the biggest restaurant deck of any class ship serving the finest in human, Vulcan, Klingon, Cardassian, Andorian and a wide spectrum of other species cuisine.

The ship boasts the finest background of cultural trade faculties including a market for many of the traders of the wide range of diverse cultures and creature variations on the ship.

The ships housing system is set up for all types species on the ship, every habitat and condition is mimicked for the species own liking via the advanced atmosphere and environmental controls set for habitation in the crews and other peoples quarters on one massive deck.

The Ships shuttle bay homes a wide range of shuttle pods from all different cultures on board, the shuttles are taken care of by best team of engineers and service personal on-board, the ship houses the first and only warp 20 engine in existence, capable of instant travel, once the Camelot hits warp 20 it will get you to any star system in a matter of moments.

The ship boasts the best selection of cannons and torpedoes out of any ship; the ship has Isokinetic cannons, positron torpedoes, phased plasma torpedoes and Quantum Torpedoes, making the ship the most powerful in the fleet.

The ship holds the world’s most sophisticated computer system on a star ship that runs a very every system on the ship, the computer also runs a most amazing and complex library system of all federation and interspecies knowledge ever known.

The U.S.S Camelot holds the first and only court of interspecies delegations and procedures; the ship is the most culturally diverse ship known to the federation and has many sophisticated holo decks and holo suites for the ships many residents to enjoy at their own leisure.

The U.S.S Camelot was commissioned for the single purpose of exploration and not only bringing together every known species but to unite a whole new array of species to form an alliance created by the federation for the purpose of ushering in a new age of species/federation relations for the future, the alliance is called the omega alliance.

Ships Complement – 800 crew + various other residents

if that helps at all

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe you should rename it "USS Fanboi". A ship that's the best at everything is boring.

9. surak-toc

the only reason why i have the ship like that because its made for delegates and so on, they was the best of the best, it won't do to bad in a fight when it has to as well

10. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I'm still trying to figure out why the Vulcan Senate and High Command would design a ship. I can see if if they had simply comissioned a firm to design a ship to fufil a set of requirement, but I'm sure the Vulcan government is no better at designing a ship that any other governemt would be. And why would a ship of Vulcan design be built in San Fransico?

11. surak-toc

the reason behind the choice of san fran is because they have designed said commissioned ships, they created cardinal class ships, they know from experience of san fran shipyards reputation and so forth, to elaborate about the ship design the vulcans have chosen for their latest fleet a combo of federation design with their science vessel slap bang in the middle of the ship, that acting as the massive bridge and utilizing the ring as a means of impulse propulsion, 5 warp nacelles, torpedo ports along the outer rim of the ship.

12. originalbob

originalbob Ensign Red Shirt

Reading the ship description, doesn't really sound like an in-universe Federation vessel to me.and, being honest, reading the description of the weapons platfom, isn't it just a weeny bit overarmed for diplomacy missions? 'Make contact/join the Federation or else, buddy...'

13. originalbob

originalbob Ensign Red Shirt

Suddenly got this vision of a Deathstar with a Federation logo painted on the side...

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not one to start commenting on other people's designs and idea's. If they like it, they like it.

But....

That ship makes no sense. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the term, but this is overkill. Positron torpedoes??

15. surak-toc

i got positron torpedos from the cardassian
    ship, that one may of been a little to much, i suppose the ship needs refining a lot, i thought by adding alot of great things would make it sound and appear good

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, the thing is, a lot of people coming up with ships for their show make them the best, superduperawesomemegacoolasskickingdeathdealingultrafast ship out there, because of coolness reasons. But it just doesn't make sense.

17. surak-toc

i shall take a good look later and sort out the bare minimum of stuff and make sense of it, i shall repost a revised description

18. surak-toc

The revised edition

post VOY

U.S.S Camelot - Cardinal class

Commissioned in 2782

Designed by the vulcans to home a crew complement of 600 + Delegates, the ship was built in the san Francisco ship yards.

The U.S.S Camelot is equip with -
    • state of the art medical facilities
    • a diverse selection of armoury equipment
    • some of the finest technicians this side of Jupiter
    • an array of ship weaponry that contains some powerful torpedos
    • the first and only warp 20 engine
    • the galaxies finest dining experience
    • a sophisticated housing system and cultural background
    • a massive shuttle bay
    • the first interspecies court room
    with its vulcan/federation design the U.S.S Camelot is a top vessel.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so its a space ocean liner thats also a battleship, aircraft carrier, whilst also being the fastest ship in the galaxy.

is it commanded by captain m. sue?

20. surak-toc

i'd think by the time this ship was commissioned they would be like this, i have a basic idea of what i would like it to look like, normal saucer part but with that ring thing in the middle like on an early Vulcan vessel acting as the impulse drive, 5 warp nacelles. 2 with side but the 5th in the middle, its a basic design

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013