Geordi & Data

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Amaris, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was watching TNG on Netflix Instant Watch (yay!), and I can't help but notice all the times Geordi & Data wax philosophical, or talk about physics, or engineering in general, and I think to myself that I could listen to these two talk to one another all day. Their characters mesh so well, that I just find it enjoyable to watch and listen to them.

Does anyone else ever get that feeling? It doesn't have to be with Geordi & Data, it can be anyone from the TNG crew.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geordi and Data are the Frog and Toad of Star Trek.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Shrek and Donkey.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No.

Tin Man and Scarecrow. Worf's the lion.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Do any of the TNG crew give you that same feeling? That you just really enjoy it when they get together? As I mentioned in the original post about Geordi and Data, I believe it was in "Birthright", where they're talking about Data's dreams, and I just want Data to go on and Geordi to give his feedback, because I find their viewpoints so interesting.

Is it a bit silly because they're characters in a TV show? Not at all. It is through these characters that we can relate our ideas, and I just find the back and forth between Data and Geordi to be fascinating. I love the character interaction moments between Data and Worf as well, when they were discussing matters of faith in "Rightful Heir." Just a great moment between two very different people.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Data & Picard. Long or short, their personal scenes are always enjoyable, but yes, Data & Geordi had one of the most natural rapports of any of the crew

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They certainly spent a lot of time in some first season episodes giving each other goofy looks and nods while seated at conn and ops.

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

True. Speaking of rapport, I watched "Attached" last night, and remembered how much I was a Picard/Crusher fan. While I was always rooting for Jean Luc in his various romantic adventures, I always liked it best when those romantic encounters involved Beverly. It felt more "natural" to me.

9. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtiJN6yiik[/yt]

10. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely! Couldn't you just see Geordi going over to rake Data's leaves and then Data going over to rake Geordi's leaves. Ans then when the wind blows them around again, they each come home and decide that they will have to rake their own leaves the next day :)
    I love Geordi and Data

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Great work on the part of the casting director and the writers. Actually, I think the whole TNG crew meshed perfectly (particularly after Worf became Security Chief and Geordi became Chief Engineer).

12. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

Agreed.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Stan and Ollie.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    That was the best thing about TNG: everybody on board seemed like they were friends. A ship of misfits that somehow came together like a family.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ I can agree with that!

16. ElBurro

ElBurro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always loved the relationship between Riker and Troi. They just seemed to want the other to be happy, either with the two of them friends or as something more.

IIRC, there is an episode where Riker says something like that to someone. An empath on board the Enterprise said that he would make a move on Troi to piss Riker off and then he said something along the lines of 'You've read me wrong. If you could make Deanna happy, that would make me happy'.

I also really love the friendship and mutual respect between Riker and Picard. One of my favourite parts with those two is the Captain Picard Day scene, with Riker making fun of the Captain, but not going too far with it.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That would be from "The Price". I watched that one last week. I, too, love the interplay between Riker and Troi. They always seem the best of friends, and know each other so well, but at the same time, you just know deep down something more is desired by both of them.

Oh, yes! :lol:

I just watched that episode the other day, and my favorite part of that scene is where Picard says "They seem to have a rather exaggerated impression of me", and Riker waves the little Captain Picard puppet's arm and says "I don't know, I think the resemblance is rather striking. Wouldn't you agree, number one?" in this terrific Captain Picard voice. :lol:

18. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

Data and LaForge were like Peas and carrots...

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the one I was thinking of. In the serious moments, they play off each other so naturally. Some of the unspoken stuff between them is the best.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I always loved Geordi and Data's friendship. One of my favorite things about trek is the genuine friendships we've seen between characters, like Geordi/Data, Picard/Crusher and Bashir/O'Brien.