Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Can anyone confirm if it drops different types of seed for the different types of trees? Or is it just random which kind of tree you get?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Well, my new world only seems to have generated the original type of trees near my spawn point. I took some of the saplings and planted them and I haven't wound up with any different types so I'm assuming the saplings they drop will grow the same kind of tree.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first time I loaded it up after the update, I was on the wrong side of the island from where I wanted to be with no Nether portal nearby, so I had to walk for about 10 minutes, and that's when the trees were being screwed up as I could hear the leaves rustling and popping, and they were leaving saplings all over the place. It was weird, it almost sounded like I was walking through a storm. Notch should introduce it as a feature. :lol:

Anyway, this is amazing:

[yt]v=ewFrgDPCgGA[/yt]

4. Robert Maxwell

Holy shit, that's awesome! :lol:

Just goes to show you, always be suspicious when a sign says "free cake."

5. Owain Taggart

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. Robert Maxwell

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I just had one of those "I wish I'd been recording this" minecraft moments. I swear, I just saw a cow attack and kill a creeper!
    There I was, 8 blocks above the ground building my new lava wall, a creeper vainly trying to get to me when a cow snuck up from behind and headbutted it into my lava wall. It's this kind of random crap that makes Minecraft great. ;)

I wonder, has anyone suggested to Notch the possibility of an integrated recording feature for the final version?

8. Robert Maxwell

I think most people just use FRAPS.

I just finished digging out a large area just above the bedrock. 100x50x2. Goddamn, that was a lot of work. Got lots of stuff out of it, though--not to mention a ton of cobblestone.

9. Owain Taggart

Hah, that's awesome. I guess you should be glad the cow didn't choose to headbutt you in there ;)

I had an interesting thought last night. What with the dyes now available, it gives some way to track sheep and see where they go. Reminded me of the tagging some people do. Now, imagine if the game had reproductive abilities. Sheep with red wool mates with another sheep, and you don't have one red sheep, but two, and so on.

10. Robert Maxwell

You can dye wool while it's still on the sheep?? That never would have occurred to me. :lol: That's hilarious!

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you actually mine out the whole area? There are easier ways to do that, you know.

12. Robert Maxwell

There are? :lol: Do tell. Yes, I went down there with pickaxes and actually dug it out.

Are there ways that don't involve cheating? I'm trying to avoid using InvEdit and so forth and do things legitimately.

ETA: It occurs to me that you might mean there are more mathematically efficient ways to get the minerals from a given area, and I'm well aware. The whole point was actually clearing the area so I can build in it later. The materials I produced from that effort are incidental!

13. Canadave

^ I gotcha, then. I assumed you were just talking about straight-up mining, in which case hollowing the whole thing out would be terribly time consuming. :lol:

FWIW, I usually mine in a pattern with central 2X2 corridors, with 1X2 tunnels branching off, leaving two blocks in between each tunnel. That way you can see all the minerals without having to mine out every last damn block.

14. Owain Taggart

Yeah, you can. It's pretty funny. My friend was showing me by dying a sheep yellow. And you know what else? I saw a black sheep, and my friend claimed that he didn't do anything, so with the advent of different coloured wool, there's a chance for black sheep to spawn. So, that's what got me thinking about mating. What would happen if a red sheep mates with a yellow one? Does that mean there's a chance of an orange one spawning? The possibilities.

15. Robert Maxwell

I'm told the most mathematically efficient way is to do what you described but leave three blocks between each branch tunnel. Since most veins are 2x2 you'll never miss any by leaving 3 blocks in between.

I saw a "black sheep" and it dropped "gray wool." Not sure if there are any that drop "black wool" but there you go. :)

16. Owain Taggart

Came across this. Just too awesome not to share:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9SPywEGm4[/yt]

17. Robert Maxwell

That is completely insane. I am not nearly dedicated enough to Minecraft to attempt something like that. :lol:

18. Canadave

I suppose, but I think the completist in me would get annoyed at the hidden row. :lol:

19. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Completely insane and awesome! That dude must be some kind of musical circuit design genius to come up with that.

20. Robert Maxwell

Ah, but there is no "hidden row." Think about it.

If most veins are 2x2, then having two parallel horizontal shafts with 3 blocks in between is guaranteed to expose the vein in at least one of the shafts.

Granted, there are some veins that consist of only one or two blocks, but I've found those to be relatively rare and probably aren't worth making all your branch shafts one block closer together.

Anyway, on the new world I started, I've done a fair amount of work. Here is the large vertical mineshaft I dug all the way into the bedrock from my spawn base. (The view is from the bottom, looking up.) Here is a castle I built last night. Yes, it extends into the clouds...

Images are linked since they're big. :lol:

I plan to fancy up the castle, putting windows and so forth in it. It's 6 stories although I probably won't use the top level for anything, given that clouds pass through it.