Tropic Thunder Grading and Discussion - Spoilers.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Grade Tropic Thunder

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL -- great lines throughout! Most of that dialogue should be ringtones. Saw it again tonight :rommie: -- check the Vulcan ears on McConaughehkshdes'(?!) desk.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Saw this last night and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It had the typical Ben Stiller brand of humor which I like and Tom Cruise did a fantastic job, but for whatever reason, the whole thing felt a bit empty and generic. Maybe it played better two years ago in the threatre. I don't know.

I'll give them credit for the all-star cast. This movie did what The Expendables failed to do.

Love Jack Black's lightning jacket by the way.

Actually, as much as I'm impressed that they put together such a cast, maybe that's part of the problem I have with the movie. It comes off as too much of a star vehicle. I know it's trying to make fun of that sort of thing, but still...

The best scenes came from Tom Cruise, but that dance at the very end was just plain stupid.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Holy Necro-post, Batman!

I still enjoy this movie, RDJ cracks my shit up.

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I think I'm the only person who liked Jack Black the most in this. For me the funniest scene that got the biggest laugh was Jack Black's begging while he was tried to a tree. I agree some of the humour was a bit forced (and I also thought Tom Cruise's schtick was, while funny at times, a bit overdone), but given what passes for comedy these days, I think this is one of the better comedies to come out in recent years.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Woah.. undead thread rises again!

That said.. awesome comedy and i laughed my ass off! Prior to seeing it i read somewhere that Tom Cruise would be in it in some supporting role but when he appeared i didn't recognize him at first.. all i got was a familiar feeling that i saw this guy before.

Then he launched into his Les Grosmann role and i keeled over with laughter and when it actually hit me that it was Cruise i nearly died because it was such an atypical role for him but he played it brilliantly.

2nd nod would be to RDJ.. awesome "brother" he played complete will all the black and especially Vietnam War era clichees out there.

Definitely a must see.. one hilarious movie.

6. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

The funniest part was when Tom Cruise was cursing out the guy on the radio and when he screams, "I'll F you up!" the camera cuts to the Golden Dragon guy holding the radio and the look he has on his face makes me fall over with laughter.

7. Pensive

WHOA I haven't been around these parts in a long time. Got a notif there were new replies and had to mention that the network broadcast of this movie blowwwwwwwwwws :klingon:

They edited out the F-bombs of course, but the whole "went full retard" scene is now "went full special." Yes, they changed it to 'special'. Takes all the thunder out of it.

Still a great movie, though!

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Tom Cruise even in the network broadcast version? :lol:

9. Pensive

Fffffffff. The movie is hard to enjoy because of all the edits. I mean, the extra scenes from the extended version being put in to compensate still don't help much.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hey, man!

:lol:

Yeah I noticed through this thread you hadn't posted since then and was like, "Huh, what happened to him?"

11. Pensive

Her*

But yeah, it's been so long since I got the chance to drop in here... since the Sombreroprise thing. WHOA. That was some good times!

I still go to cons and stuff, I just spend most of my time split between work and roleplaying online.

12. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I love this movie unabashedly. My only criticism of the flick is at the very end when Matthew McConaughey shows up in the drug lord camp... I think that is tonally too silly for the flick. But, the rest of the piece is so funny, and so spot on dealing with idiot actors and hollywood politics that I can forgive one misstep.